Heritage Owners Club

Vintage Marshall tone in a small amp?

Blunote

For us dumb Americans, is quid a slang term for pounds?

It's a common slang word for currency (just about anywhere buy America it seems)

Even Space Tourists use it!

Quasi Universal Intergalactic Denomination, a prototype for a possible future type of currency for use by space tourists

The Blackstar Artisan 15 is a DREAM....trust me. I picked mine up in MINT condition for 550 quid. Not cheap, by any means...and apparently they're even more expensive in the States. That might be a drawback.

GC retails them for $1900.00. Chunk o' change for a "practice" amp. They do look fantastic though. Interesting the way they suggest patching between the two channels for combined tones. Cool amp.

I've started Jonsing for a amp that can deliver the old Marshall 18w sound. Thing is, I'd like to get that tone at practice levels. Apart from using a peddle with my Blues Jr., does such an amp exist?

Blackstone, maybe?

I'd recommend checking out one of these babies. Hooked to an extension speaker or a p.a. system, you'd be surprised how Marshall-like they can sound.

Tech 21 Trademark 30

tm30_image.jpg

GC retails them for $1900.00. Chunk o' change for a "practice" amp. They do look fantastic though. Interesting the way they suggest patching between the two channels for combined tones. Cool amp.

WHOA!!!

I mean, ok...retail doesn't actually mean anything, but still. That's a rip-off. I love this amp, I really do....but 550 pounds ($900) was QUITE enough!

I've had a Blackstar HT-5 for about a month now, highly recommend it!

Former Marshall employees started the company 4 years ago, they appear to be doing very well.

They do have a 20 watt combo.

From the reviews I saw on the Marshall 5 watt, it might even be too loud for a practice amp. The Blackstar 1w and the Little Lanilei look kind of interesting. The Lanilei could drive my Blues Junior speaker and might even be packable for extended trips out of town.

The Lanilei could drive my Blues Junior speaker and might even be packable for extended trips out of town.

it could definitely drive the BJr, and, what defines packable? This thing is SMALL.

Here it is in a 150 case.

photo4-1.jpg

And here, on top of it's custom Extension Cab....I set these about 10 feet apart at home for a great full sound.

Lanilei.jpg

Back

P1100040.jpg

Those are tiny, tiny amps. Solid state I assume?

Hand wired, USA built, one at a time, tube amp

1/4 - 33 - 50 watt in one amp.

Link to the builder, with all technical specs, earlier in the thread.

The Little Lanilei 3350LT watt amp consists of a hi-gain preamp (1st knob above the input jack) using one Ecc82 preamp tube and one Ecc83s tube for a total of four stages of gain. The tone circuit (2nd knob) is a wide ratio passive tone control capable of crisp tone, kind of like a Fender Tele through a Twin or big warm lows more reminiscent of a Les Paul into a Marshall 4x12. Because of the amps very unique design tube life should last 5 years with out changing.

Hand wired, USA built, one at a time, tube amp

1/4 - 33 - 50 watt in one amp.

Link to the builder, with all technical specs, earlier in the thread.

The Little Lanilei 3350LT watt amp consists of a hi-gain preamp (1st knob above the input jack) using one Ecc82 preamp tube and one Ecc83s tube for a total of four stages of gain. The tone circuit (2nd knob) is a wide ratio passive tone control capable of crisp tone, kind of like a Fender Tele through a Twin or big warm lows more reminiscent of a Les Paul into a Marshall 4x12. Because of the amps very unique design tube life should last 5 years with out changing.

I'm rather electronics-illiterate so I don't understand how the two tubes feeding a solid state power stage (if I understood that correctly) could be an "all tube" amp. Are they really a hybrid that uses tubes for the preamp and a solid state amp for the power side?

I'm rather electronics-illiterate so I don't understand how the two tubes feeding a solid state power stage (if I understood that correctly) could be an "all tube" amp. Are they really a hybrid that uses tubes for the preamp and a solid state amp for the power side?

Yeah, not to say it isn't a great amp (because I'm sure it is)... but I gotta raise a red flag on the way they worded that.

They make it sound like it's using the second half of a 12ax7 as the power output... but even if you had a special OT that matched the high plate resistance of a 12ax7, you're only going to get maybe 1-2 watts at best... there is no way possible that it's going to ever push 50 watts on it's own!

This sounds like a hybrid, it's outputting the signal to a seperate solid state power amp.

I'm with you on that Blunote. Not literate in the technical aspects. And in my defense, I said "tube" , not "all tube" because it is a hybrid of some sort.

Tris does go into detail on his site how this is accomplished. This is know, as is, it can be heard in a room full of amps, and I know a guy who gigs with one with a 2x10 cab because the tone is what he wants with his band.

And in regards to the original post, as a small "affordable" practice amp, with Marshall tone, there is simply nothing better.

Many people, regular guys, that I know, dig 'em. Tris's biggest endorser is Hammett, who states he uses it in this way. Gilmour and Frampton are also on the endorsement list, but I know nothing of their personal testimonials. Hammet was in the Mahaffay/Songworks booth at NAMM several years back messing around with one, and my friend that works for a shop in LA talked with him about these.

I've now been using this amp, at home, at school (couple times a week) and on stage on several occasions, for four years, never changed a tube, although I have replaced the fuse a couple times.

I'm with you on that Blunote. Not literate in the technical aspects. And in my defense, I said "tube" , not "all tube" because it is a hybrid of some sort.

Tris does go into detail on his site how this is accomplished. This is know, as is, it can be heard in a room full of amps, and I know a guy who gigs with one with a 2x10 cab because the tone is what he wants with his band.

And in regards to the original post, as a small "affordable" practice amp, with Marshall tone, there is simply nothing better.

Many people, regular guys, that I know, dig 'em. Tris's biggest endorser is Hammett, who states he uses it in this way. Gilmour and Frampton are also on the endorsement list, but I know nothing of their personal testimonials. Hammet was in the Mahaffay/Songworks booth at NAMM several years back messing around with one, and my friend that works for a shop in LA talked with him about these.

I've now been using this amp, at home, at school (couple times a week) and on stage on several occasions, for four years, never changed a tube, although I have replaced the fuse a couple times.

You are right! After re-reading their website I do not see where they listed it as "all tube". I think I misread the part when they are explaining using the second half of the preamp tube as the output.

Here's a good amp for portability. The lead guitarist in a band I was in carried this as a backup...

622388.jpg

200 watts and less than 10lbs...

Seroiusly though, for real Marshall tones, I bought my daughter a used Marshall MG15CD for $50 used a couple years ago. Didn't sound to good with a strat, but with my Gibson Humbucker loaded Epiphone LP, it was pure Marshall tone goodness on the gain channel! The Marshall MG series are solid state, but they are quality amps that can be found rather cheap. They range from 1x8 10watt combo's to 150W full stacks... The one Jaz had contained some decent onboard effects such as reverb, flanger, chorus, and tremolo. Also had headphone jacks (thank goodness!) and CD input. Not a bad amp at all. I used it for a while as a microphone amp.

Yep, mentioned that earlier in the thread, the ZT Lunchbox is a super cool, 200 watt SS amp. VERY loud, unbelievable cleans....but that's it. You need pedals to get anything else out of it, and it takes them VERY well. The Lanilei has unreal crunch, even when driven in clean mode. It's all a matter of objective.

But if we are talking Marshall here, tubes don't matter.... From the sounds of it, the only way to achieve Marshall tones at a bedroom level is a solid state amp. Why not just do it with a Marshall MG series?

Dude...that was the point, the Lanilei does it from a whisper to a scream. Or that ZT with Koula's pedal

These into a fender amp into a cab with a greenback. Proco Rat low gain plexi, Jtm ish. Gov'nor kind of up to JCM800ish

P1150889.jpg

I know the question asked was "other than sticking some pedals in front of my fender what little amp is there?"

I know everyones experiences are not the same but I havnt found anything. Any little amp I bring home sounds like a little amp when I compare it to a bigger amp with stomps in front. I actually find that the bigger amps with a stomp or two sounds...bigger! at the same volume as the little amp. More controlled and fuller.

Which Marshall sounds are you chasing? JTM? JCM800? 900? all of them?

But if we are talking Marshall here, tubes don't matter.... From the sounds of it, the only way to achieve Marshall tones at a bedroom level is a solid state amp. Why not just do it with a Marshall MG series?

Whoa, whoa, whoa.....what about those beautiful Marshall cleans?

I can get those at ANY volume!

:)

I've started Jonsing for a amp that can deliver the old Marshall 18w sound. Thing is, I'd like to get that tone at practice levels. Apart from using a peddle with my Blues Jr., does such an amp exist?

Blackstone, maybe?

using a pedal is the way to go, IMHO. probably something like a Menatone Foxy Brown. had this and a number of others and they were all among the best i've heard or owned in all aspects.

but for an amp, the Heritage Briton II (30w 4xEL84), Ch. 2, is designed to be/sound like 18w Marshall (Ch.1 being AC30). great Master Vol included, unusually high gain at whisper levels possible, too (tho not advertised or documented). have had mine for some years & hope to hang on for more. wonderful amp.

Archived