Heritage Owners Club

NAD

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

Arrived today, but have not tried it yet. It is very lightweight. Will provide full tone report with an H 150 later on tonite.

post-2130-0-03092900-1300490746_thumb.jpg

Guest HRB853370

Well here it goes, tested with my 2000 H-150 with Schaller pups through my Jet City cabinet loaded with an Eminence Legend 12" speaker. The clean channel breaks up but only at almost wide open. I have read reviews that attest to that. It is also not as loud as I thought it would be. I guess I am used to high wattage amps, as I have never owned a tube amp with less than 30 watts before I bought my Deluxe which is 22 w and very loud. The overdrive channel is a completely different story! Fairly loud when wide open and the gain control has lots of latitude from a fuzzy tone to full blown crunch. The infinite shape feature is subtle and is supposed to vary the sound from a full British, woody type tone, to a more piercing USA tone, and everything in between. This amp immediately got me into Black Sabbath/Ozzy mode, playing lots of those types of riffs and power chords. The amp runs nice and cool too, which I like. The construction of this baby is first rate with a leather handle and it looks very solid. Great practice amp and great recording amp, just need some nice digital recording gear now! All and all, I think $220 well spent.

Sounds like a blast... I love an amp with nice harmonics and able to provide a good amount of gain if wanted.

The HT-5 power amplifier is a low powered push-pull design, which produces the crunch and break-up characteristics of a traditional 100W output stage but at a much lower volume. This is achieved by the use of a 12BH7 dual triode in push-pull configuration producing 5 watts output, which is rich in valve harmonics and compression.

HT-5H.jpg

lol, I was getting ready to post my new Blackstar. No pics yet, so I'll do it tomorrow. I got the 20w and so far I'm loving it. Should be perfect the local blues jams. I still have my custom built 50w if I ever get into another band, but for now this thing is perfect. I really like the 5w too. Really good sounding amps. Glad your liking yours

Guest HRB853370

Sounds like a blast... I love an amp with nice harmonics and able to provide a good amount of gain if wanted.

HT-5H.jpg

Oh yes, lots of harmonics. Its a sweet sounding amp. Does having a "quality" speaker cable make an audible difference? The seller included a cable, kinda skinny, and the speaker cab sounds kind of thin too for a 1x12. I was wondering if I used a thicker, better cable it might sound even better?

Guest HRB853370

lol, I was getting ready to post my new Blackstar. No pics yet, so I'll do it tomorrow. I got the 20w and so far I'm loving it. Should be perfect the local blues jams. I still have my custom built 50w if I ever get into another band, but for now this thing is perfect. I really like the 5w too. Really good sounding amps. Glad your liking yours

Great, what cab configuration are you using?

Great, what cab configuration are you using?

I got the combo. They didn't have the head in stock which is what I was going after. I started wanting the 40w combo, but the store a friend of mine works at didn't have it in stock. He suggested the 20w head which I was going to use the 1x12 cab from Blackstar, but they didn't have that in stock either. So, I tried their 20w combo and it sounded great (as most instruments and amps do in a music store when the sound is resonating off of all the other instruments and the room is twice as big as any other room I'll be playing it in). So, I brought it home last night. Got to jam with it for a short while and have to say I'm loving it. This thing is LOUD. And I can dial in crisp OD tones at a decent vol. My 50w needs the speaker break up to get that crisp OD. I haven't really got to check the head room a lot yet, but I'm impressed with it so far.

I usually buy all my gear used, but these are really holding their value well so I went for it. My buddy gave me a decent deal. Not much off of the amp, but through in a amp stand for free and took care of the taxes. I should have a good tone report this evening.

Guest HRB853370

I got the combo. They didn't have the head in stock which is what I was going after. I started wanting the 40w combo, but the store a friend of mine works at didn't have it in stock. He suggested the 20w head which I was going to use the 1x12 cab from Blackstar, but they didn't have that in stock either. So, I tried their 20w combo and it sounded great (as most instruments and amps do in a music store when the sound is resonating off of all the other instruments and the room is twice as big as any other room I'll be playing it in). So, I brought it home last night. Got to jam with it for a short while and have to say I'm loving it. This thing is LOUD. And I can dial in crisp OD tones at a decent vol. My 50w needs the speaker break up to get that crisp OD. I haven't really got to check the head room a lot yet, but I'm impressed with it so far.

I usually buy all my gear used, but these are really holding their value well so I went for it. My buddy gave me a decent deal. Not much off of the amp, but through in a amp stand for free and took care of the taxes. I should have a good tone report this evening.

Kinda wish I had the 20w now, but maybe down the road. I tied up cash in my Gibson 30w GA-40 combo. One thing I like better on the HT-5 is the chrome knobs. Not sure why they didnt do that on the 20w.

Arrived today, but have not tried it yet. It is very lightweight. Will provide full tone report with an H 150 later on tonite.

Hope you find that amp as good as I did.The HT5 combo is the best small valve amp I've come across in years.Great sounds await you.

Peter Alton Green :icon_thumright:

Kinda wish I had the 20w now, but maybe down the road. I tied up cash in my Gibson 30w GA-40 combo. One thing I like better on the HT-5 is the chrome knobs. Not sure why they didnt do that on the 20w.

Agreed. I'm not too crazy about the feel of the amp including the knobs. It feels kind of cheap, but I have 2 yrs warranty on it.

On the 5w (Im thinking of snagging one if I find one cheap). I really don't know why either. I surely don't need it. Anyway, can I run it through a 2x10 cab? The speakers are Eminence Legends. I assume they are 75w since it's a 50w amp. The spec sheet says 8 or 16 ohms. I know nothing about that. All I saw on the amp was a 1x12 or 2x12 (maybe it was 4x12) cab input.

I think another really cool Blackstar amp for bedroom use is the Blackstar HT-1 with its 4x8 cabinet. Its only a 1 watt amp. (Not a typo, its really a one watt amp) I like the idea of a smaller amp that can produce nice breakup without getting too loud, but still give that warmth only a saturated tube amp can give....

lilliku

does 8 or 16 ohms mean you can hook up a 4-10, or 2-12 speaker cab to it?

That's what the speaker's specs say on Eminences' website. Not sure what the amp says.

I think another really cool Blackstar amp for bedroom use is the Blackstar HT-1 with its 4x8 cabinet. Its only a 1 watt amp. (Not a typo, its really a one watt amp) I like the idea of a smaller amp that can produce nice breakup without getting too loud, but still give that warmth only a saturated tube amp can give....

Hey Detroit - that's a hot tip - I'd like it if it came w/a 12" speaker

Guest HRB853370

Agreed. I'm not too crazy about the feel of the amp including the knobs. It feels kind of cheap, but I have 2 yrs warranty on it.

On the 5w (Im thinking of snagging one if I find one cheap). I really don't know why either. I surely don't need it. Anyway, can I run it through a 2x10 cab? The speakers are Eminence Legends. I assume they are 75w since it's a 50w amp. The spec sheet says 8 or 16 ohms. I know nothing about that. All I saw on the amp was a 1x12 or 2x12 (maybe it was 4x12) cab input.

Dont get me wrong, the quality and feel of that little amp is first rate. I was just wondering why they had the chrome metal knobs on the 5 watter and the cheaper looking plastic knobs on the 20 watter.

What you are referring to is that the the amp has speaker outs for a 16 ohm cabinet, or an 8 ohm cabinet or two 4 ohm cabinets, on that back. I like that versitality. On the front side of the amp, the settings for 1x12 or 4x12 are for the emulated speaker output with headphones, or directly to a board or recording device. In other words, say you are listening with headphones instead of a speake cabinet. You can choose to have the amps output emulate a 1x12 speaker cabinet or a 4x12 cabinet. Not sure why they left off a 2x12 option! Hope that helps.

Archived