Heritage Owners Club

Heritage HISTORY #4

FredZepp

Orville Gibson moved to Kalamazoo , MI in 1891, where he worked as a shoe salesman for 5 years and performed as a musician.

He started building mandolins in the back of his apartment around 1894 and then opened a small shop in Kalamazoo.

Gibson used a factory on Harrison Court in Kalamazoo from 1911 to 1917. It is now a vacant lot. And then.....

The famous Gibson factory at 225 Parsons St. was opened in July, 1917 and used by Gibson for 67 years, until 1984.

The Parsons Street building was opened with a housewarming party and dance on July 10, 1917. The land was in the middle of a strong, working class Dutch neighborhood, and the work ethic of Gibson employees became a vital part of the Gibson tradition.

It is in this plant that Ted McHugh first invented the adjustable truss rod , and Lloyd Loar personally inspected and signed the first F-5 mandolins and L-5 guitars.

It is here that Guy Hart's staff created the Super 400 and J-200 guitars.

And Ted McCarty and his designers conceived the Les Paul , Explorer, ES-335 and the Firebird.

A proud work force turned these ideas into instruments that represented the ultimate combination of modern design and traditional craftsmanship for generations of musicians.

The skill of Gibson's woodworkers came from the training established by Orville Gibson, Sylvo Reams, and Lewis Williams. It was a rigorous tradition. Great woodworkers were not born, they were created at the factory. The fact Gibson was in Kalamazoo was extremely important! It was a mid-sized city full of industrious, hard-working people with a proud history of working with their hands, whether in lumber, celery farming, copper mining, paper milling, or other industries.

Gibson built a system of self-audit, where each employee was an inspector. It had traditional inspectors, as well, but it was the individual workers who were responsible for quality workmanship. If an employee underachieved, he or she would hear about it, not only from supervision, but from co-workers. Employee self-worth was based on recognizable quality work. Sure, there was plenty of good-natured kidding on the factory floor, but behind it was an understated sentiment that you were lesser if you can't do the job right.

In the McCarty/"Golden" Era, there was a lot of pride on the factory floor. Opportunity abounded. Workers who wanted more responsibility were often given it, and they could advance to supervisory roles if they wanted. Supervision did not necessarily mean a larger paycheck, but it signified a level of accomplishment and skill. To some, that was important, while others preferred their daily routine in which they could stay effective.

A great system and great people made great woodworkers, and they were provided the best tools, the best raw materials, and a great work environment. An oft-heard sentiment in the '50's was the Gibson was a friendly place to work, where everybody knew everybody else. Even in a so-called union shop, people crossed classifications if needed. If a certain activity or line was caught up, it wasn't unusual for workers to go to the next department to offer help. "I'd even sweep the floor if that's what needed done," said one former employee.

In 1960, Gibson built an addition to the plant that doubled the size of it. But that was not enough and expansions also happened in 1962 and 1964.. .. nearly doubling it again. It is with these additions that they would eventually reach production numbers of 300 guitars per day.

In 1970 , Gibsons then parent company , CMI ..( since 1944) , sold to Norlin.

In 1974, the Nashville plant was started,a 100,000 square foot plant on 17 acres. Eventually Norlin started moving some of it's offices to Nashville also.

In 1984, Gibson moved their manufacturing to Nashville.

But the original 1917 plant at 225 Parsons Street was re-occupied by the Heritage Guitar Company.

The company started by longtime Gibson employees, Jim Deurloo, J. P. Moats, and Marv Lamb, to continue the tradition of hand crafted instruments from Kalamazoo.

Heritage Guitar Inc. of 225 Parsons Street in Kalamazoo, Michigan was incorporated on April 1, 1985.

Heritage started operations in the oldest of five buildings formerly owned and operated by Gibson Guitar Corporation. Much of the machinery that Heritage uses today, was purchased from Gibson Guitar Corporation.

( edited with info from Gibson Guitars: 100 years of an American Icon )

You know Fred I was thinking these posts would even make good bedtime stories to the grandkids lol..

Heritage Guitar Inc. of 225 Parsons Street in Kalamazoo, Michigan was incorporated on April 1, 1985.

I felt like we needed something posted to commemorate their April 1st anniversary.... some Parsons St history.

Thanks for the post Fred. I think I have about every book written on the history of Gibson at 225 Parsons Street but love reading it anytime. When you think of all the famous folks who have walked the floors in that building and continue to walk them, it's mind boggling. Hail to the 26th Anniversary of Heritage!

James Deurloo walked through the old Gibson workshop, which is now the home of his company, the Heritage Guitar Company. Pointing proudly to a workstation in the middle of the old building, “that was my first workbench. I learned every skill on the line and had wonderful teachers. The old men on the line when I was a kid were happy to share what they knew, and I still use all those skills. That is why the name ‘heritage’ was the perfect name of our company.”

Marvin Lamb was looking for a job in 1958 and found an opening at the Gibson 
Guitar Company in Kalamazoo. “This was right at the time of the boom in the 
industry and it was a great time to get started.” A year later he met
 James Deurloo and along with J. P. Moats, they stayed with Gibson until the
 company was sold and moved to Nashville. At the time all three friends 
outlined an idea of creating their own guitar company, but keep it in the
 same building with the same attention to details and craftsmanship. In
 1985, the Heritage Guitar Company was formed and all three men are still the
 working owners. In fact, the day of NAMM’s interview, Marvin was covered in
sawdust after working on a new lot of guitars.

Archived