Heritage Owners Club

How often... Or indeed.. Do you... Oil your stick. !!!

cosmikdebriis

NO... Not that Stick...  :wink:

I've never really wanted to before, or felt the need, but the 357 had been left unused for a long time and the fret board looked and felt very dry.

So I've decided to oil it...

Any particular suggestions?

I'm thinking proprietary products from guitar shops are probably way over priced and the same material is probably available elsewhere.

Now you've done it.

There's a longstanding dispute over what to use on rosewood and ebony fingerboards ...especially over whether so-called "lemon oil" should be used.  After reading through a maze of opinion I was convinced that lemon oil actually dries rather than restoring moisture, so I've used very light mineral oil, or, Stew Mac (OK, so I trust Stew Mac, for some reason, when I don't trust most people in the guitar-accessory biz, maybe because they primarily target repair guys rather than the end consumer) sells a product specifically for this purpose that I've used.  I like dark fingerboards, so I've even been guilty of mixing in a little dye when I condition a couple of my fenders that have light-colored rosewood boards --not enough to make the board black or to immatate ebony, just enough to "take the red out."  Again, stew mac sells a dye for this purpose that can be mixed with their fingerboard conditioner.

www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fingerboard_cleaner,_stain_and_oil/ColorTone_Fretboard_Finishing_Oil.html

I've read that it's best to avoid silicone (Har Har... Been there, tried them, felt like bullets... Didn't like them).  :police:

Anyway, back to the question... and that most products that "claim" to be lemon oil are actually a blend with very little lemon oil in them.

So... Whilst at my local harware discount store, I bought sme "Danish Wood Oil" which is a blend and contains Brazil nut oil ???

It claims to dry to give a "natural water resistant finish" with a "low sheen"

At $5.00 for half a litre it was cheap... But is it suitable... I'm going to try it on a piece of scrap wood to see how it dries an feels but I'm not sure if there's any hard and fast reasons to, or not to, use certain oils...

Several years ago a local retailer sold me on a product called 'Fiddle Bright' (perfect name!) that is used on violins, cellos, violas, etc. to restore their lustre.  I tried some and it worked extremely well on my guitar fretboards.  I still could not get that Eric Johnson violin tone he so wonderfully demonstrates, but the guitar's board stayed beautiful for years after a light application.

Recently the good folks at Gryphon Guitars in Palo Alto, California repaired a tiny divot in the ebony board of one of my guitars.  The finishing touch was a very light coat of mineral oil.  The guitar's fretboard looked fantastic and played smoothly ever since.  Gryphon is the only authorized Martin Guitar restorer/repairer in my neck of the woods, so I trust their advice.  Mineral oil works as a cleaner and moisturizer for all types of fretboards...but use it sparingly.

...just to follow up on Gitfiddler's post.  The Martin site specifically recommends against using lemon oil, and that recommendation is a key part of the controversy.  Here's what Martin says:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use lemon oil on my fingerboard?

We do not recommend using lemon oil on our fingerboards. The acids in lemon oil break down the finish of our guitars. It may also aid the corrosion of the frets and lessen the life of the strings.

It may also aid the corrosion of the frets and lessen the life of the strings.

Ok, so I'm with you/them on the acid possibly affecting the frets... But the strings... Perhaps if you don't change them for a few years... :wink:

I'd guess the skin oils from your fingers would be more likely to contribute to any sort of acid erosion. ???

I'm not even sure why I feel the urge to oil the board, just seems like the wood "needs" it to stay "healthy"  :undecided:

Oh my God... Now I sound like some sort of crappy advert for shampoo that nourishes your (already dead) hair... :P

Oh brother I was hoping this topic would never come up...  :D

This is one of the, if not the, most highly debated topics.

Linseed oil (raw vs. boiled).

Lemon oil.

Fret Doctor

Guitar Honey

Mineral Oil

Bore Oil

Marvel Mystery Oil

3 in 1 oil

Nothing at all.

etc.

etc.

etc.

I was just forwarding what the Martin website has to say, since it comes up a lot in the discussion of this issue, and because Gitfiddler wrote re the recommendation of a Martin repair center.  I wouldn't personally vouch for the bit about string corrosion. 

In fact, I'm not particularly partisan about this whole issue.  I just decided a while back, mostly because one of my basses had a particularly red looking rosewood fingerboard that I thought looked bad with the sunburst body, that I would investigate the whole oiling/dye-ing thing.  When I read some of the critiques of using lemon oil, it made sense that the purpose/formulation of a furniture polish might not be the same as the purpose/formulation of an oil to condition unfinished wood. 

In fact, some participants in this discussion have argued that you don't really need to use anything at all, and I very seldom use anything on ebony boards unless I think they need cleaning.  Rosewood, it seems to me, gets a "dry" look ...not to mention the whole issue of dye-ing to taste. 

What an odd time for this post.  I just a bit ago bought some Weiman lemon oil from the local hardware store thinking that I hadn't done the boards in a while and should.  Have no idea if this stuff is any good or not other than "excellent for all types of wood surfaces, more than just a polish as it soaks into the pores and keeps wood from drying out... will not cause wax build up because it contains no wax".  So have the 535 in front of me ready to put some on it, with the other guits in line. 

Good read, thanks for the suggestions - I hadn't read the threads/debates over what to use other than the recommended lemon oil.

Back in my EBMM days...they all had raw birdseye maple necks, and i used to steel wool and lemon oil them every 2 or so string changes.  i like the lemon oil treatment, it seals the wood well, it smells good too! :laugh:

My understanding is that "lemon oil" is really just mineral oil with scent added.  And wax, water and other things, if you aren't careful.  I have and use, "Holloway House Lemon Oil."  Says right on the lable, "No wax, no water, no buildup."  I've used it on rosewood and ebony boards without any problems.

Make sure you read the label on your "lemon oil" though.  As always, YMMV.

Dan Erleiwine recomends Raw Linseed oil.

Dan Erlewine said he saw them use (gulp) 3 in 1 oil on the fingerboards at the Martin factory.

John Carruthers recomends Carnauba wax.

Don Grosh recomends (gulp) Marvel Mystery Oil.

Tom Anderson recomends lemon Oil.

PRS recomends lemon oil though my 1989 PRS came from the factory with the definite smell of Linseed oil on the fingerboard.

This guy http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm has as good a write up as I've seen anywhere.

I know allot or shops/players who swear by this stuff:  http://www.gerlitzusa.com/prd_honey.html

I'm not so much worried what to use, as I am the consequences of over use.  I've heard far too many stories of "I've never done anything for 30 years and my gutiars are fine" to think that oiling the fingergoard is absolutely necessary.  However, I've also read far too many stories where the guy says "I let is soak up as much mineral oil as it can with every string change" to think their fingerboards are probably closer to a sponge than to wood.

I've often thought it would be great to do a scientific study of fingerbarod treatments.  Their wood preserving properties.  Their resistance to mositure absoroption/loss.  Do they affect the sound/tone of the instrument?  Do they cause the wood to swell?  Do they help the wood to wear longer or wear out faster?  Do they help hold the frets in, or do they make the frets pop out?  What are the effects of miss-use?  How do they affect future repairs?  Do they make planing the fingerboard easier or harder?  Do they make re-frets easier or harder? 

In my case, I use them sparingly and about once a year at most.  I usually do mine at Christmas time as it's easy to remember.  Anymore than that imho is overkill.

I go along with our Guitartman here. I have a very good luthier around the corner who is not really enthousiastic about all that oil treatment. What Dan Erlewine says is you gotta be really careful not to soak the fingerboard because of the danger of frets becoming loose. "Lemon oil' is a non existent species of oil. But...don't you Americans have the only really effective oil, the one pressed from snakes? I'd use that.

I go along with our Guitartman here. I have a very good luthier around the corner who is not really enthousiastic about all that oil treatment. What Dan Erlewine says is you gotta be really careful not to soak the fingerboard because of the danger of frets becoming loose. "Lemon oil' is a non existent species of oil. But...don't you Americans have the only really effective oil, the one pressed from snakes? I'd use that.

My snake is ready to be pressed....just kidding.  >:D

I did the lemon oil on the 475.  I touched it lightly and it seems to be just fine.  The fretboard needed something.  I played it for 4 hours Friday night and it wasn't the least bit soggy.  Now that I know there is an issue I will study up on it before I oil another fretboard. My other guitars don't seem to need it.

lem oil does shorten the life of strings if over used.

But I found only the first set of strings after oiling was affected so much.

The strings tarnish and feel brittle.

If you use it really sparingly it has less affect on the strings(obvious :rolleyes:)Wipe on, wipe off

I only use it maybe once a year maybe and live in a hot dry climate.

I live in a hot dry climate.

Oh... Brag about it, why don't you...

I live in England and only know what thew sun looks like from pictures in books at school... :'(

Still Could be worse....

Southpaw lives in Ireland.... He has webbed feet... ;D ;D ;D

I've always used lemon oil. I only oil mine about once every couple years, though, and I've never had a problem. Any type of oil (except Valvoline, etc!) should work.

I've always used lemon oil. I only oil mine about once every couple years, though, and I've never had a problem. Any type of oil (except Valvoline, etc!) should work.

I think thats the key. You dont need to oil it often.

I live in Western Australia.

it does rain,just hasnt for awhile.

Ive never seen a fretboard split or crack from not being oiled.

Maybe its not an issue if a guitars used often.

you live in west aussie, eh?  i have a friend there, he uses me as his global guitar buyer/shipper ;D  if he sees an american guitar he wants, he pay pals me the $$$  i get it, inspect it, PLAY IT 8)  and ship it ot him....he just had an amp shipped to my house the other day....really cool dude!!!

Archived