Heritage Owners Club

1955 Fender Deluxe Tweed

Well I want to share the news about my old amp, a 1955 Fender Deluxe Tweed with a new 10" Jensen P10R (original equipment) speaker and new tubes thanks to Kbp810. Two of the Five tubes are NOS. It has absolutely, No noise. This old amp was sounding a little anemic and had a little harmonic noise on a couple of notes. I learned from a guy that this may be caused by old tubes. When I inquired about this with Kbp810, he confirmed this and suggested I replace the tubes with new ones from the Tube Depot at tubedepot.com. I installed them last night and this amp is like new again. What a great tone along with the vintage style reverb from Kbp810 as well. It is hard to believe that these old amps sound as good as they do. I plugged in my H-150 with ShepTone pups and thats it, the sound is amazing. Two controls, volume & tone, it doesn't get any simpler than that. Without any effects, eq or anything else to choke the sound, it comes through clean, creamy, round and full and 12 watts is much louder than one might expect. All of the great character contained in a H-150 and an amp come through clearly.

I have decided to bring it to PSP this year along with the reverb unit and play a little Blues.

post-2180-0-55010700-1302184356_thumb.jpg

That is a great rig! Glad the tune up brought it back to its former glory. But how do you get the reverb unit on your pedalboard?! :icon_scratch:

No pedal board here. Just a good guitar, good amp and good reverb. The reverb unit does have a footswitch to switch on/off the reverb but I don't use it as I always like a little reverb. I'm a purest, I buy guitars and amps for the way they sound, not the way I can change their sound through the use of synthetic electronic devices. I know a lot of folks here rely on their effects and that is great for them. Thanks for the high praise.

That is a pretty cool looking rig. Drool worthy really.

I prefer playing unplugged acoustic guitar to electric. A tone or volume pot on an electronic guitar is a synthetic electronic device. Your no purist. :icon_biggrin: You're lost in a wash of electronic gadgetry and high teckery with all that modern equipment you have there.

That is a pretty cool looking rig. Drool worthy really.

I prefer playing unplugged acoustic guitar to electric. A tone or volume pot on an electronic guitar is a synthetic electronic device. Your no purist. :icon_biggrin: You're lost in a wash of electronic gadgetry and high teckery with all that modern equipment you have there.

True, but I think of myself as a purist in the electric guitar age, not the stone age. By the way, "techery", nice word. I may use that in another thread when I get the chance.

Oh, so your 5E3 is working fine. Oh, I see. Nice ......................... :biggrin_mini:

Yeah, jealous. They do sound sweet. Or, so I recall, anyway. ..................... :aggressive_mini:

Thanks for the jealousy. It's a 1955 5D3 though, the 5E3 (narrow panel front) came out in '57 I believe. Mine is what you call a "TV front" or wide panel front (more tweed). A very neat old amp. Probably more information than you were looking for but it's fun to talk about.

Thanks for the jealousy. It's a 1955 5D3 though, the 5E3 (narrow panel front) came out in '57 I believe. Mine is what you call a "TV front" or wide panel front (more tweed). A very neat old amp. Probably more information than you were looking for but it's fun to talk about.

5D3? Really? Cool. I'd thought about the 5D3 when I had my clone built. But chose the narrow panel, altho' the builder argued for the TV front. Gotta love those old Jensens! I have a (i think) '52 Magnavox in my 5E3. Pre Jensen (so I'm told) but is the same as the P12N, just co-branded as a Maggie. Found one of those for Kuz's '57 RI, too. It really brought the Deluxe to life - for however short that time has been (sorry, still feeling the pain!). So, really NOS or Vintage tubes? My builder keeps referring to them as NOS, and I keep telling him I saw him get them out of a box of tubes! Can't be NOS if they've been used. :rolleyes_mini: But I sure did prefer them over current production that we tried in that amp.

57' seems to be the popular year (or at least Fender lables the re-issue as the '57 Tweed Deluxe)

The 5D3 ran from '53 to '55, 5E3 '55 to '60

Great looking amp though, and can't wait to hear it at PSP (sure wish I had an original tweed!)

That looks to be an excellent amp to enjoy with your 150.

That combination of vintage Fender tube tone and the Kalamazoo 150 w Sheptones just has to sound like heaven.

How did you know? I want you to try it at PSP and see what you think.

Guest HRB853370

How did you know? I want you to try it at PSP and see what you think.

What does a Shemptone sound like?

What does a Shemptone sound like?

A ShepTone humbucking pickup sounds like a premium hand wound '59 clone. Though most '59 pups were all different, the Sheptone supposedly, is fashioned after one of the better ones from '59. It is certainly at the top of the food chain as boutique pickups go.

Archived