Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 150/157... Too heavy...

cosmikdebriis

We often hear about Heritages weighing in at far more than 9lbs, one advertised recently on eBay is quoted at 11lbs... ???

It makes you wonder as to the sense of producing these "boat anchors"

I would have thought someone could come up with the "ideal" weight for the mahogany part of the body, then, weighed the body blank, and routed it accordingly to within a few ounces.

Sure there are other factors in the over all weight but most of them are pretty clearly definable.

I guess you might argue that the routing would change the tonal character of the guitar. But then again so does the mass of an 11lb instrument as opposed to a 9lb instrument.

Hmm...

here's a beaut that pushes 11lbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heritage-H150-20th-Ann...1QQcmdZViewItem

I think that Honduran mahogany is much denser than the African mahogany.

Heavy = long sustain, thick tone IMO.

I've not found that tone necessarily equates to the weight/density of the guitar body, but I don't discount that it could possibly have an affect.  I do prefer a lighter guitar for playability - the shoulder/neck just gets sore for me on this old body even at 9 pounders.  Yeh, I do think that most anything over 9 is too much for comfort.  The 535 and strat get more gig time because of this.

The weight variation does occur in most all solid body models it seems.  I've been shopping around for a tele... one of the models I'm interested in isn't stocked locally so I've emailed some on line carries (the normal lot) on the weight of theirs.  One replied they couldn't weigh them, one said their's was 12 lbs (but I think that's shipping weight w/case), and one was just over 8.  Have read on forums that this particular tele model has a band of 6 to over 8 lbs and I'd like to find a light one...  have noticed that the 'higher-end' guitar shops w/a large internet presence adverstises guitar weights on almost all the guitars they list in inventory as with the aging market base, it's become a key valuation for a buy decision - and I'm sure that some want more weight for sustain and some want lighter for comfort.

I have to admit--and I realize this is uncommon--that weight is never a factor in which guitars I like.  I can't even really tell you which of my guitars is heaviest.

Welcome back John... Been a while...

You've been being asked after, on the Brent Brent thread... Perhaps pop in and say hello... :wink:

Welcome back John... Been a while...

You've been being asked after, on the Brent Brent thread... Perhaps pop in and say hello... :wink:

Agreed, good to hear from John!  His presence lends cred to much which goes on here.  I'd imagine John is looking straight down the bore of the end of a semester...demanding grind for an academic!  Hope he can come up for air soon....

Strangely enough the guitar I play the least is my LP Standard, it weighs a hefty 10lbs.  :tongue3:

Even sitting down it is awkward to play and uncomfortable after a short while.

All of my Heritage guitars are semi or hollow body, this was not a conscious decision when buying but thinking about it now it obviously did influence my choice of guitar.

I also have a '70s Strat that I have owned since 1980, and it is seriously heavy for a Strat but it's weight has never deterred me from picking it up.

My Hamer Studio FM is close to 10# and I think it's a pig; easily the heaviest guitar I own.  The thing is, that guitar sounds in-freaking-credible.  On the other hand, the H162V is my lightest solid body (I think it's actually lighter than my Adamas II) and it, too, sounds great.  I've never had a problem with any guitar, regardless of weight, sustaining long enough for me to grow tired of listening to that note and play the next one, though. 

My LP Custom and my H150 CM LW--yes, the hollowed-out, "light weight" H150--BOTH weigh in at 10 lbs! I'd hate to see what the H150 would weigh if it hadn't have been hollowed out!

The only time I notice the weight of any guitar is when I'm taking it out of the case. Once it's on a guitar strap the weight is no issue. Over the years I've noticed that the heavier LP style guitars I've owned have been my favorites.

I have a 140CM Custom thin body and I think it's weight is perfect.  I can play a complete gig with it and not suffer any stress to my left shoulder.  And we play long sets, sometime over an hour and a half.  My Heritage also has great sustain and a nice rich tone.  I have an Agile LP copy that weighs over 10 lbs and by the end of a gig my left shoulder is feeling fatigued and sore by the end of the night.  I have changed to a wider strap for the Agile but the Heritage is just sounding too good to me right now so that has been my choice for gigs lately.

If you want the tone, the back has to grown!

I would never dismiss a guitar purely based on weight.

Just my experiences:

-I have played very light guitars that I didn't light the thinner tone on and would never buy.

-I have played/owned heavy guitars that in general sounded better & fuller to me (especially humbucker LP style guitars- need that grunt/grown sustain and tone).

My sweet spot is around 9.5-10lbs for a 150.

One thing I've noticed with acoustic guitars is that those feather light Martins just sit there and hum in your hands. The heavier ones don't seem to have that property. I don't know if this transfers over to electrics or not. I would think other factors are far more revelant with electrics than weight. JMHO YMMV

Back when everyone loved super heavy guitars (with brass nuts and stuff) the idea was that mass meant the energy in the string was NOT transfered to the body, and this increased sustain, vs. an acoustic, where you DO want the energy transferred from the string to the body.

I suspect there is at least some truth to that idea ... but I'm not sure in the end that keeping the energy in the string is the big factor in sustain in the real world of electric guitar playing, where the string is picking up energy from the sound waves emitted by the amp (a new source of energy.)

Oh, and Skydog, you are so right about weight and acoustics, and about the magic of those special Martins that seem to vibrate from end to end. 

I'm not sure how much my 157 weighs but it's heavy the heaviest I have ever owned. But I love the sound and the way she plays and I would never give her up. I play four hour gigs with her all the time and have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders and her weight doesn't bother me. 8)

I'm not sure how much my 157 weighs but it's heavy the heaviest I have ever owned. But I love the sound and the way she plays and I would never give her up. I play four hour gigs with her all the time and have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders and her weight doesn't bother me. 8)

That a boy! Someone willing to man upfor the tone. Love it! 8)

Karma for tone & Karma for not being a girlyman who needs a weight relieved guitar :P

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:VXhTg_.../hans_franz.jpg

Yeah I think I maybe over the weight issue.

It caught me off guard when i did my 1st gig with my 150.

But I had been gigging with the same guitar for a long time so any guitar was going to feel a bit weird.

I did a gig on Saturday and only used the 150. I didnt seem to notice the weight like I did initially.

I got some nice comments about the tone and looks, so its all good 8) :)

Archived