Heritage Owners Club

Noisy H150

guitarnut1

Hi guys,

I posted a similar topic a week ago, suspecting that something was wrong with the grounding of my H150. Ok, now I think the grounding is OK, as touching the strings doesn't really affect the noise level.

BUT, I notice that this guitar is really quite noisy, especially if I roll back one of the volume pots a bit. I have no idea what the reason for this might be, but this is really bugging me and I will either fix this or sell this guitar.

What might be the reason? Bad quality pots? Bad capacitors? Bad solders somewhere?

I notice that the whole solder work looks really messy and rushed. Don't know, this really looks like a friday afternoon guitar...

The action, and playability of the guitar unplugged are really nice, that's why I'm still thinking of repairing the electronics myself.

Ok, all pots are made in mexio, apart from the vol. pot of the bridge pickup, which is MIJ. Don't know if this is standard or not. The guitar also has 2 yellow capacitors. As said earlier, the whole solder work looks messy and rushed. (compared to my Hamer for instance, which is really clean and tidy, and all pots say Hamer on them)

Does anyone have any sugestions for replacing the pots, or caps, or possibly completely rewiring the guitar.

The guitar has HRWs, which I would probably keep.

I will post a pick of the pots cavity as soon as I get back home.

THanks

PS:

just as a reference: EVEN my strat, which has got single coils in it, is QUIETER.

Hi guys,

I posted a similar topic a week ago, suspecting that something was wrong with the grounding of my H150. Ok, now I think the grounding is OK, as touching the strings doesn't really affect the noise level.

BUT, I notice that this guitar is really quite noisy, especially if I roll back one of the volume pots a bit. I have no idea what the reason for this might be, but this is really bugging me and I will either fix this or sell this guitar.

What might be the reason? Bad quality pots? Bad capacitors? Bad solders somewhere?

I notice that the whole solder work looks really messy and rushed. Don't know, this really looks like a friday afternoon guitar...

The action, and playability of the guitar unplugged are really nice, that's why I'm still thinking of repairing the electronics myself.

Ok, all pots are made in mexio, apart from the vol. pot of the bridge pickup, which is MIJ. Don't know if this is standard or not. The guitar also has 2 yellow capacitors. As said earlier, the whole solder work looks messy and rushed. (compared to my Hamer for instance, which is really clean and tidy, and all pots say Hamer on them)

Does anyone have any sugestions for replacing the pots, or caps, or possibly completely rewiring the guitar.

The guitar has HRWs, which I would probably keep.

I will post a pick of the pots cavity as soon as I get back home.

THanks

PS:

just as a reference: EVEN my strat, which has got single coils in it, is QUIETER.

I have a H-150 with HRW's I had both pots and capacitors replaced with new ones I ordered from R S Guitar Works (rsguitarworks.net)

I recommend you contact- billy@rsguitarworks.net and order the complete rewire kit for H-150. It is the same one they recommend for Les Pauls with short shaft pots. This should solve your noise problem.

Good Luck

I have a H-150 with HRW's I had both pots and capacitors replaced with new ones I ordered from R S Guitar Works (rsguitarworks.net)

I recommend you contact- billy@rsguitarworks.net and order the complete rewire kit for H-150. It is the same one they recommend for Les Pauls with short shaft pots. This should solve your noise problem.

Good Luck

Were the electronics on your H150 as cheesy as mine? Did you experience noise like this as well? I can't belive this is happening on a 3000EUR guitar (as this was the original price on mine). This is really a shame!

Which wiring kit did you use? I see they have quite a few...

Were the electronics on your H150 as cheesy as mine? Did you experience noise like this as well? I can't belive this is happening on a 3000EUR guitar (as this was the original price on mine). This is really a shame!

Which wiring kit did you use? I see they have quite a few...

Was this guitar brand new or used? There was a similar incidence here a while back on a guitar in Europe where it was thought that the control cavity contents had been tampered with at the dealer. It seems, though I could be wrong, that the dealership was located in Poland.

Was this guitar brand new or used? There was a similar incidence here a while back on a guitar in Europe where it was thought that the control cavity contents had been tampered with at the dealer. It seems, though I could be wrong, that the dealership was located in Poland.

And, for what it's worth, that particular guitar has since been for sale on Ebay Germany.

It is a used guitar I bought 6 months ago. It is from 2002 and is a limited edition one (VSB, ultra top, HRWs, Ebony fretboard). I still have the receipt from the original owner, with a price of nearly 3000EUR. It was bought in Germany and I doubt anyone tampered with it, except the (possibly mexican) guy who assembled it at the Heritage factory.

What seems unusuall though is that all pots are MIM except the vol. pot of the bridge PUP (MIJ). This really made me think some one might've been messing with the guitar, but in the end, I doubt it as I bought the guitar from the original owner, and I know he hadn't done anything to it.

I had the stock pots and caps that were installed at the Heritage Factory.There was no noise or wiring issues. I saw reviews of the upgrade available from RS Guitar Works and I talked to Billy and he recommended the pots and caps that are included in the "Complete Vintage Electronic Upgrade Kit with Short Shaft pots. Since you said that the wiring looked messy I would order the complete kit and have installed by a reputable Guitar Tech. You should notice a 100% improvement.

I hope this info helps. Your 150 will become one of your favorite guitars when it is upgraded with this kit.

I've got 5 Heritage guitars, never a noise problem with any of them.

In todays world, a lot of players like experimenting with different pickups and caps, etc..

so it's not unheard of that a 9 year old guitar may have had something done to it aftermarket.

The fact that the wiring looks sloppy means that it likely has been tampered with.

In todays world, a lot of players like experimenting with different pickups and caps, etc..

so it's not unheard of that a 9 year old guitar may have had something done to it aftermarket.

The fact that the wiring looks sloppy means that it likely has been tampered with.

I like the neck carve on the guitar, the action, the fret job, the playability and the FM top. But by looking at the control cavity and it's plastic cover, this looks really sloppy and cheap. The cavity hasn't been routed properly and still has rough parts in it. Comparing this to my Hamer, this is like comparing a $200 epi. made in china with a PRS private stock...

Still, the guitar plays really nice and the strings feel as soft as butter. I guess, as soon as I have this electronics issue sorted, this will be a very well sounding and playing guitar.

The rs guitars kit works out at about $140 with shipment. This is quite dear.

What about buying 4 CTS pots 500kOhm and a pair of good capacitors, do you think this will do the job? Don't really want to invest more than 50EUR into this....

What about buying 4 CTS pots 500kOhm and a pair of good capacitors, do you think this will do the job? Don't really want to invest more than 50EUR into this....

That was my point. I seriously doubt there was a Mexican installing mexican made parts. The tell tale sign this was altered was a MIJ pot. Someone most likely swapped electronics for cheaper ones to maximize their profit when reselling. A very popular and nasty trick pulled on Ebay. Not sure how you got it, but most times the buyer doesn't know that until its too late...

Yes - do it yourself to cut the cost. It's pretty easy, honestly! :)

Yep, do it yourself!

I would have to agree with Fred in this..I've only owned 3 Heritages, but I never had any electonics issues, even on my 85 H-140.. Our boys may not be perfect, but they are damn close..My 2 cents.. :icon_biggrin:

I had the stock pots and caps that were installed at the Heritage Factory.There was no noise or wiring issues. I saw reviews of the upgrade available from RS Guitar Works and I talked to Billy and he recommended the pots and caps that are included in the "Complete Vintage Electronic Upgrade Kit with Short Shaft pots. Since you said that the wiring looked messy I would order the complete kit and have installed by a reputable Guitar Tech. You should notice a 100% improvement.

I hope this info helps. Your 150 will become one of your favorite guitars when it is upgraded with this kit.

I'm going to guess that someone has been swapping parts on this thing. They may have had really expensive pick ups in it and switched back to the originals before selling it. And to save money they probably did it themselves. If the soldering is really messy there probably isn't a good connection.

A decent luthier could clean it all up and it would probably be about perfect.

I would have to agree with Fred in this..I've only owned 3 Heritages, but I never had any electonics issues, even on my 85 H-140.. Our boys may not be perfect, but they are damn close..My 2 cents.. :icon_biggrin:

Hmm, I didn't know you had an 85's H-140.... :icon_biggrin:

Hmm, I didn't know you had an 85's H-140.... :icon_biggrin:

I Don't..but somebody in the Motor City does..It's a different color though.. :drunken_smilie:

Ok, it seems to be a grounding issue after all.

After checking all conections with the multimeter, and ALL were OK (DON'T TRUST A MULTIMETER!), I decided to resolder the ground wire on the jack. All noise was gone! Then I remounted the jack once again and pluged the guitar cable in, there comes the noise again! BUT, I think it is the connection btw. groundwire and jack. I will resolder in the evening once again... let's see..

• 1 month later...

FYI I put some new pups into my H-150CMLW as I don't care for for SH-1s, I put in some DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pups, anyway I broke the neck volume pot when I unsoldered the leads. I pulled it out and looked at it - it was a VERY cheap 500K pot, plastic board with very light PC traces connecting to the terminals, apparently the process of heating the CW terminal had caused the plastic to melt and the contact was broken. Unbelievable. I have been swapping pups for years and this has never happened. Needless to say, I became very concerned about noise and reliability. I have since replaced all the pots with CTS units and will also replace the .022 "ERD" film caps (which appear to be polyester film), and which I cannot even find on the net, with something suitably good.

I purchased the guitar new directly from Buffalo Bros in 2007, no eBay involvement whatsoever. As far as I know, no one has had a chance to swap out the electronics, as Buffalo Bros is a reputable company, as far as I know. I was quite surprised as well with the component quality, and also the lack of shielding in the cavity, I will have to go in and shield it one of these days, as it picks up a bit of hum. The guitar plays very well and sounds great, has some cosmetic issues (a small knot in the fretboard and a small binding flaw) but overall have been very pleased with it, was totally surprised at the quality of the components. I am an electrical engineer by profession for almost 30 years, and a hardware guy to boot, and have never seen such cheap pots before. Anyway, if you guys have noise issues, check your pots.

Archived