Heritage Owners Club

My new 157, part 2

GrandpaLarry

As I played my new Heritage H157 I noticed the high E string had a tendency to slip off the edge of the fretboard. I'd hoped that adjusting the string spacing would solve the problem.

My local music store and Heritage dealer is owned by a good friend of mine, Kevin, and his son, Justin. Justin does excellent setups, and I took my black beauty in yesterday to have Justin work his magic on it.

It turns out, though that my problem with the E string derives from a poorly cut nut. He'll need to cut a new one.

Has anyone else had this problem with a Heritage?

It seems like that is a recurring problem that gets discussed from time to time. I have been happy with mine, but I did have a new nut put on one of them. Thankfully it is an easy problem to correct.

As pegleg32 said common problem. I replace two of mine. The other two were ordered with bone nuts which were cut much better and only needed a little attention. Cost $30 more.

My '85 H-140 I bought earlier this year appeared to have a replacement nut. I have a feeling it was an amateuer job since the nut was so sharp on the corners, it actually cut into my hand/fingers. From what I've heard, most time the nut isn't done perfectly because they expect the dealers to finish the nut properly after the delivery for its final set up. While its a real shame that a guitar of this caliber requires a nut finish or replacement, the guitar itself is still a fine instrument....

Maybe I'm lucky...(or ignorant)..(or both) but all 3 of the Heritages I've owned have been fine... Especially my 535, and I bend the snot out of it on our blues numbers...As always YMMV :icon_biggrin:

Guest HRB853370

happened to me on a new G&L asat, sent it back. you'd think someone's lookin' at these things before they leave the factory, so it doesn't become a problem?

I had a G&L Legacy, and two ASATS and all 3 had that annoyance. I sold them all.

My 157 had the issue. Moving the roller bridge would only help the upper register. In the end, you have to get the nut corrected.

My 140, 535 and Milli don't have the problem.

I've always wondered if Heritage bought preslotted nuts. Anyone know?

So I just had to repair the nut on my milli-DC. The repair dude said the previous nut had been poorly cut initially and then repaired to make it work. I obviously can't say for sure, but the indications are that it was the original nut from the factory. None the less, it's an easy, relatively inexpensive repair, and the guitar is sooo worth it in soo many respects.

So I just had to repair the nut on my milli-DC. The repair dude said the previous nut had been poorly cut initially and then repaired to make it work. I obviously can't say for sure, but the indications are that it was the original nut from the factory. None the less, it's an easy, relatively inexpensive repair, and the guitar is sooo worth it in soo many respects.

I guess its these little transgressions with Heritage we are willing to overlook....

Archived