Heritage Owners Club

137 opinions

I have a first run, 1995 H-137D which is subtly different than the current, second run H-137 model.  Well, OK, not so subtly...it has dual humbuckers (hence the 'D' suffix) in place of the P90s.  Other than that, it has a solid one-piece mahogany body, one-piece set mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, three-way switch, two volume and two tone controls, Grover machines and Schaller roller bridge and stop tailpiece.  I have a 1993 Hamer Special P90 that is similar enough for comparison, with the exception of the three-piece mahogany neck and P90s in place of humbuckers.

The Heritage is slightly lighter than my Hamer.  The neck is a tad chunkier C shape, although the Hamer does not exhibit the common "pencil neck" of mid-90s models.  The buckers are an original Schaller in the neck and an upgraded Seymour Duncan Custom-Custom in the bridge, so I can't really compare them directly to the P90s.  Both exhibit exceptional build quality and I enjoy playing them both, although they cover different sonic territory.

Cons?  I can't think of any.  If I were in the market for a solid body, slab top rock machine, I'd definitely go for an H-137.

I've owned the second one made since I purchased it from Wolfe Guitars in December 2005.  The guitar just rocks!  Looks, feel, tone, playability are all there in spades.  This one reminds of the best Gwords from the '50s - light weight, resonant as heck and solid as a brick sh!# house. 

I love my 137 (with Lollar P-90s) in Korina.  Very light, very resonant and with a medium chunky C neck shape.  Mine has an incredibly low action / playability after I put in a camel bone nut. The P90s on this guitar give me a tone I have with no other. Smack in between a full on humbucking LP tone and a Telecaster...

Here's some really good news... (maybe, YMMV).  If you buy one AND you want a cool black pickguard like the one in the 2nd and 3rd photos below, I am going to send you one for FREE!!!! Yes. FREE!  I can't give them away. Gave 2 to Heritage, Gave one to Wolfe... not even an acknowledgement from either one.....  FREE!

width=360 height=480http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/cryoman_bucket/PickguardH-137007.jpg[/img]

width=360 height=480http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/cryoman_bucket/H-137Black.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=450http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/cryoman_bucket/BlackPickguardH-137001.jpg[/img]

Cheers, Cryoman

Here is the guitar Slate mentioned.  It is now at Buffalo Brothers as I traded it for the HFT-475.  I never really connected with this little guitar.  I am really more of a 535 man.  That said, it was a rocking little guitar that I referred to as the "chainsaw."

width=600 height=399http://www.ronwarren.com/trio/img_4280_std.jpg[/img]

Here's some really good news... (maybe, YMMV).  If you buy one AND you want a cool black pickguard like the one in the 2nd and 3rd photos below, I am going to send you one for FREE!!!! Yes. FREE!  I can't give them away. Gave 2 to Heritage, Gave one to Wolfe... not even an acknowledgement from either one.....  FREE!

That's a really cool pickguard design. If I had a 137, I'd be paypalling you right now.

rooster.

I have the same Korina as Cryoman less the pickguard. Absolute killer tone with the Lollars. Weighs around 6 pounds. I changed out the pots and caps and put in a double locking Wilkerson bridge/tail piece and ebony knobs. Fat C neck with low action only needed a little fret work and rolling of the edges. It would be impossible to make a better special and if I don't get cremated, it's going in the coffin.

Here is the guitar Slate mentioned.  It is now at Buffalo Brothers as I traded it for the HFT-475.  I never really connected with this little guitar.  I am really more of a 535 man.  That said, it was a rocking little guitar that I referred to as the "chainsaw."

width=600 height=399http://www.ronwarren.com/trio/img_4280_std.jpg[/img]

Why'd you call the "chainsaw"? My first impression is that is a negative comment, which I ultimately know is not correct. But I still wonder about the name.

It's the velvet twanging chainsaw grinding voice from rock & roll heaven. Gipson first advertised the Humbucker as "sounds almost as good as a p90" and since every starter collector must have a p90 and a korina, why not save some $ and get both? duh! Care to guess what I'm plugging into a AC30 tonight?

LOVE this guitar.

So much I bought 2 - thanks, Brent. My first experience with P-90s and they rock.

Great guitar, man. You won't be disappointed.

Why'd you call the "chainsaw"? My first impression is that is a negative comment, which I ultimately know is not correct. But I still wonder about the name.

Tulk, this guitar is straight ahead rage - an animal.  No softness just grinding rock-n-roll.  This was a perfect guitar for getting down and dirty.  The only problem for me was that I couldn't clean it up.  I can dirty up a 535 and clean it up pretty fast if I want to.  The 137 was too one dimensional to my style of playing.  Since I traded it for the HFT-475 I am perfectly happy, somebody out there has a mean assed 137 in their future....a chain saw! 

Archived