Heritage Owners Club

Just breaking up!

JeffB

Anyone care to define that. Vid or clip examples would be great.

Seems like everyone has a different idea of what it is. To some its fat creamy overdrive to others its a tight crunch and then to others its a clean with a little hint of buzz/fizz/fur.

To me the "just" kind of implies a clean sound with a hint of break up. Whether that's speaker, preamp or output tube break up is a whole other topic.

Just breaking up seems to imply an amp that is real clean that is "just" breaking up. Not an amp that is already breaking up and just breaking up more.

If the "breaking up" was unaccompanied by "just" then it could be anything from light overdrive to full on metal unless another descriptor was added to narrow it down.

So what is the generally accepted level of breakup for "just breaking up"?

So many reviews I read mean nothing unless I know what they mean by "Just breaking up".

" I had it set to just breaking up and was nailing that elusive and desirable classic rock/blues/pop/fusion tone"

Not obsessing at all.

It's different on different amps: a Blackface Fender breaks up different than aTweed Fender which breaks up different than Marshall which breaks up different than a Vox. This clip demonstrates some on the edge tones at various points but check out at about 1:43 when he hits it hard and gets a nice crunch then backs off for crystal clear pickin' - all with the volume knob and/or touch:

BTW, my Tungsten Crema Wheat is a keeper. The guy who sold it to me contacted me and wanted it back - I had to tell him sorry...

Guest HRB853370

Anyone care to define that. Vid or clip examples would be great.

Seems like everyone has a different idea of what it is. To some its fat creamy overdrive to others its a tight crunch and then to others its a clean with a little hint of buzz/fizz/fur.

To me the "just" kind of implies a clean sound with a hint of break up. Whether that's speaker, preamp or output tube break up is a whole other topic.

Just breaking up seems to imply an amp that is real clean that is "just" breaking up. Not an amp that is already breaking up and just breaking up more.

If the "breaking up" was unaccompanied by "just" then it could be anything from light overdrive to full on metal unless another descriptor was added to narrow it down.

So what is the generally accepted level of breakup for "just breaking up"?

So many reviews I read mean nothing unless I know what they mean by "Just breaking up".

" I had it set to just breaking up and was nailing that elusive and desirable classic rock/blues/pop/fusion tone"

Not obsessing at all.

And I thought this thread was about ditching the girlfriend....(sigh)

It's different on different amps: a Blackface Fender breaks up different than aTweed Fender which breaks up different than Marshall which breaks up different than a Vox. This clip demonstrates some on the edge tones at various points but check out at about 1:43 when he hits it hard and gets a nice crunch then backs off for crystal clear pickin' - all with the volume knob and/or touch:

BTW, my Tungsten Crema Wheat is a keeper. The guy who sold it to me contacted me and wanted it back - I had to tell him sorry...

Cool vid. Thanks for posting.

argh, sounds like overanalyzing to me...probably originated with turning a non MV amp up until it got warm

as far as all the modern amps with preamp distortion etc you are on your own trying to define that lol

Why yes. Yes I am. :icon_shaking2:

To me thats when you hit that spot where touch sensitivity/pick attach is the differential

Where you can strum a chord easy and it rings through clean, dig into it a bit and you hear the amp growl.

and this is why Brian is building my amp: the KBP Starlite. We think the same in this regard.

Here is the definitive definition of TONE, BREAK-UP, MAKE-UP, SHAKE-UP, SHAPE-UP....... and BAD ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great clip John! I can honestly say I hadn't heard of Sean until you started posting about him here - now I own his entire discography. Great stuff!

Great clip John! I can honestly say I hadn't heard of Sean until you started posting about him here - now I own his entire discography. Great stuff!

Yea, I obviously have all of Sean's recordings too. As good as his studio recordings are, these live clips are just AMAZING!!!!

He was taken from us so young, just when his career was taking off. I never got to see him live. He was to going to be the headliner at the Cincinnati Blues festival in 2008 and I was so looking forward to seeing him.

I really believe he was going to be the face of The Blues, but it is sorry that we will never know.

Archived