Heritage Owners Club

Phat Cats in a 535?

High Flying Bird

I think I am going to pull the HRWs out of my 535 and put a set of Phat Cats in there instead. Who out here has these in a 535/555 and can tell me what they think.

Hmm... wonder where the HRWs are going, Santa?

Kenny's got 'em in his Prospect. Got to play it a bit last year - wonderful sounding. Rob's got 'em in his 576. Same story on the good voicing. Oh yeh, and I've one in the neck position on my 555, which sounds ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS in that guitar. It's a dark(er) sounding guitar by nature and the PC gave it a brighter and snappier sound. (I did leave the SD59 in the bridge 'cuz I liked how it sounded already).

Hi HFB, I did this pretty recently and was pleased with the results. Have a look here http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/14282-phat-cats-on-the-way-for-my-535/

I had Schallers in before and wanted a little more clarity and definition. I have that in spades now from the neck. The bridge has a beautiful snarl, a very late sixties rock sound.

I don't know whether I'd have pulled a set of HRWs out though, certainly not the neck pickup anyway. The HRW neck pickup in my 170 blows me away...

Ron, I had Phats in my 535 but pulled them after getting a 530 w/Lollar P90's. Sweet Seth Lovers now reside in the fat neck 535.

Tonally the Phats and P90's were similar, and I liked the noiseless Phats, but the P90's were the real deal.

Phat Cats have their own vibe. I think you'll like em!

Hi HFB, I did this pretty recently and was pleased with the results. Have a look here http://www.heritageo...way-for-my-535/

Good job. I get a feeling I will look at this a few times before I get started.

Archived