Heritage Owners Club

Phat Cats on the way for my 535

H

I've just snagged a pair of nickel SD Phat Cats that I'm planning to load up in the 535. I like them so much in the 150 I just have to try them in place of the 535's Schallers. Now to buy the aquarium tubing!

85e7c55d.jpg

post-8-0-91995300-1313159196_thumb.jpg

If you like Phat Cats in your solid body 150, you'll LOVE'em in your semi-535.

My 535 came with Phats in it and they sounded wonderful. However, after scoring a 530 with P90's, I pulled the Phats out in exchange for Seths.

Pickups arrived at home today, all the way from Tenerife in Spain :) The aquarium tubing is somewhere in the post system as I write. Looks like I'm on for the weekend! :)

The Schallers will go in the guitar case pocket along with the Schaller TOM, tailpiece and Grover tuners. You never know when they might be necessary again...

Looking forward to the details of your next project Howard. Another pair of lowly Schallers ready to bite the dust.

I'll post up a project on it with lots of pics. I've never done this with a semi-hollow before.... *gulp*

I'll post up a project on it with lots of pics. I've never done this with a semi-hollow before.... *gulp*

You are in for some FUN now!!! :laughing8::laughing11::laughing9::laughing3:

Just make sure you have a good flashlight and some fishing line, in case the tubing slips off, and put some easy release painters masking tape around the holes, especially if you feed any of it through the f holes. (voice of experience!).

You are in for some FUN now!!! :laughing8::laughing11::laughing9::laughing3:

Yup, I think you're right :) Thanks for the tips, especially the masking tape bit.

I won't be doing the conversion this weekend as I found out this evening that the neck pickup has a 3 inch confuctor wire with a crappy extension out to 12 inches. I've got some new braided wire on the way and I'll be putting that on this weekend. Still, they were cheap :)

I really like the phat cats in my 357. I wouldn't think twice about putting them in another guitar.

Hope it's not too OT, but how close do they sound to "real" P-90's?

Hope it's not too OT, but how close do they sound to "real" P-90's?

More than close enough for me, considering they drop straight into a humbucker route. How close are Fralin P-90s to the original Gibson items, to Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queens, and so on?

They're relatively cheap to buy and try. If you don't like them, you'll always find a buyer on the HOC :)

I used aquarium tubing to help relocate the pots and jack. I fished (did you see what I did there? ;) ) the wiring loom out through the bridge pickup rout. There was a decent amount of room but it was still a struggle as I didn't want to break anything so went carefully. 

dd711375.jpg

I unsoldered the Schallers and the original Heritage yellow caps, then added some Sprague Orange Drops (.22 - but may change to .33 later) and the bridge Phat Cat. 

21d19889.jpg

I had to solder in about 8in of conductor wire to the neck Phat Cat as it came with about 3in. Then I soldered that in to the pot. I had some trouble getting the braid soldered to the back of the pot but it finally stuck :) 

b03de79f.jpg

I pulled everything back into place with the tubing. That took a LONG time and I managed to yank a wire off one of the pots doing it. Everything out again, resoldered and pushed the pots, etc, through the bridge rout. Again. This time successfully. Put the nuts and washers back on and gave it a polish and a fretboard clean. 

39ab54fe.jpg

I switched to cream :)

Stringed up, tuned up and took a couple of outdoor shots as it was still sunny. 

526634f2.jpg

e6640084.jpg

Haven't had a real go plugged in so far as it getting late now but she sounds pretty good. I may play around with different cap values next time I'm feeling brave. I have a lot of respect for those that work on semi-hollows frequently as I found it a major pain in the backside. All done now :)

Archived