Heritage Owners Club

Show Your Pedal Board

koula901

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my weekend project will be creating a new pedal board. Now that I have more than one pedal.....

yeah, I'm seriously thinking about stepping up to a medium sized board, as I'm tired of carring that wah around, and if its not connected, I forget to hook it into the power supply and waist all this time trouble shooting. I want everything in one spot, just carry one item over, plug in and play.

:icon_scratch: This is my "pedal-board". Don't need anything else. Oh, and btw, I do have a few "stompboxes" in my basement! Guitar effects boxes are "not pedalled". They are stomped on. With the foot. Therefore, they are termed "footswitches" or "stompboxes". I vote we quit calling them pedalboards or pedals. It is just wrong.

lol.

Pedal always seemed a funny description/name for a stomp box. But then I have a couple of stomp box's that really are stomp box's so stomp box can seem wrong when describing an effects pedal. "Floor based effects unit that is stood on to be activated or turned off" is a bit lengthy and footswitch or stompbox are not that accurate. Effects unit board doesnt roll of the tongue so well.

Im with you on the pedal thing but.....

There are actually a few different inductors used in wah pedals. The Italian manufacturer Fasel( now owned by Dunlop I think) makes a couple that were used in some of the early wahs. There is a red and a yellow. The yellow is basically the vintage wah, and the red is a little smoother and darker. There is also the one they call the "stack of dimes" (I think it might have been the origanal) and a newer one hand made by an individual called the "whipple" inductor. All promise to give you the best sounding wah ever of course.

Actually, it makes a difference although a very subtle one. My wah can sound a little harsh at times although it is a lot better than when it was stock, and I'm thinking the Red Fasel will smooth it out just a bit.

For referance, Keeley uses both a yellow and red (switchable between the two) in his mellow wah, as does the MXR/CAE 404.

For any of you that are interested, I got to install the red Fasel inductor in my wah today. First of all, pretty painless. Tack the bottom plate off, unscrew the two jack nuts on the sides and 1 screw that holds the PCB to the chassis and flip the board over. The stock inductor has 4 legs going to the board(2 are redundant) and they have to be de soldered. I used solder wick cause I couldn't find my sucker. Then there are two empty holes that you can easily see connect to the traces where the stock inducter is located, but are wider and match up with the Fasel, solder and put back together and done.

Ok as for the sound. Keeping in mind my wah wasn't quite stock but for the most part just a simple part swap. I know what my wah sounds like, and I can tell you there was a difference. It removed every bit of harshness that the wah had, (which wasn't a lot but still much improved) it also changed the charachter of the wah some. Where before there was a definate sweet spot now it just sounds sweet every where, and although I hate to say it because it is a bit cliche, it definately does sound more vocal. One thing that I really didn't expect, everyone knows that a wah can get a little noisy with overdrives and power supplies. It really seems a lot quieter. I actually started stepping on multiple pedals at the same time to get it to act up but nada.

So anyone with a Crybaby with the stock black inductor that feels like trying an upgrade, this is where I would start. About 18 bucks on the Bay and 10 minutes or so worth of work.

There is also the yellow Fasel, the Whipple and Fulltone sells one that is supposed to be like the origanal Italian Clyde McCoy wahs. I'm sure any would be an upgrade to the stock inductor.

For any hobbyist/tweakers that want to try a new inductor in their wah, you might want to socket it once you desolder the old inductor. I didn't and now I'm wondering what the yellow Fasel and the Whipple sound like. If I had socketed (did I spell that right) it I could have just plugged in new ones. You can buy sockets at Radio Shack for a pittance, dammit boy!

Oh well really like the red Fasel.

For any of you that are interested, I got to install the red Fasel inductor in my wah today. First of all, pretty painless. Tack the bottom plate off, unscrew the two jack nuts on the sides and 1 screw that holds the PCB to the chassis and flip the board over. The stock inductor has 4 legs going to the board(2 are redundant) and they have to be de soldered. I used solder wick cause I couldn't find my sucker. Then there are two empty holes that you can easily see connect to the traces where the stock inducter is located, but are wider and match up with the Fasel, solder and put back together and done.

Ok as for the sound. Keeping in mind my wah wasn't quite stock but for the most part just a simple part swap. I know what my wah sounds like, and I can tell you there was a difference. It removed every bit of harshness that the wah had, (which wasn't a lot but still much improved) it also changed the charachter of the wah some. Where before there was a definate sweet spot now it just sounds sweet every where, and although I hate to say it because it is a bit cliche, it definately does sound more vocal. One thing that I really didn't expect, everyone knows that a wah can get a little noisy with overdrives and power supplies. It really seems a lot quieter. I actually started stepping on multiple pedals at the same time to get it to act up but nada.

So anyone with a Crybaby with the stock black inductor that feels like trying an upgrade, this is where I would start. About 18 bucks on the Bay and 10 minutes or so worth of work.

There is also the yellow Fasel, the Whipple and Fulltone sells one that is supposed to be like the origanal Italian Clyde McCoy wahs. I'm sure any would be an upgrade to the stock inductor.

That's very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

...But my guitar tech GAVE me this homemade pedal board today, even though he charged me $15 for the unused (still had tags on it) bag to store it in. I wouldn't ever use all of these pedals on it, as about 1/2 of them are various dirt boxes, 2 are Digital Delays, etc, but I wanted to see what a "real" board full of pedals would look like. Nice to be able to fit my Wah on there, even if I don't use it much. I'm not sure when/if I'll try to tackle organizing this board, but I'm out of room on the little board, and I just got 2 more cool pedals to try, pictured in the NEXT 2 posts.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/pedalboard010.jpg[/img]"]http://pedalboard010.jpg

Wow! That's some monster board you got there, Brian! Do you have a favorite dirt pedal? How do you like that Blues driver - for that edge-of-breakup sound?

I'm graduating up to a Pedaltrain Jr, will hopefully post pic of the new board sometime this weekend.

Wow! That's some monster board you got there, Brian! Do you have a favorite dirt pedal? How do you like that Blues driver - for that edge-of-breakup sound?

I'm graduating up to a Pedaltrain Jr, will hopefully post pic of the new board sometime this weekend.

Katy, without a doubt, my Fulltone OCD is my favorite pedal. Great distortion sound that cleans up very nicely when you roll the volume back on the guitar. For low gain I currently use my Digitech Bad Monkey, although I'm SURE there's many pedals that would do a better job, such a Tube Screamer. I currently have my much derided Boss DS-1 as my higher gain pedal on the board. Mine has had CMATMODS mods done to it, so it's much better sounding than a stock DS-1, at least to my ears. I used to have an MI Audio Crunchbox for high gain; Marshall in a box, if you will. I rarely used it, as the OCD gave me more of the sound I like for what I play. Rock On!

Katy, without a doubt, my Fulltone OCD is my favorite pedal. Great distortion sound that cleans up very nicely when you roll the volume back on the guitar. For low gain I currently use my Digitech Bad Monkey, although I'm SURE there's many pedals that would do a better job, such a Tube Screamer. I currently have my much derided Boss DS-1 as my higher gain pedal on the board. Mine has had CMATMODS mods done to it, so it's much better sounding than a stock DS-1, at least to my ears. I used to have an MI Audio Crunchbox for high gain; Marshall in a box, if you will. I rarely used it, as the OCD gave me more of the sound I like for what I play. Rock On!

I love my OCD as well, I have a Direct Drive as well and use the OCD as a low gain simply because it is better at the low gain stuff than the Direct Drive. The DD is a great overdrive pedal but a little more vintage sounding and not quite as responsive to pick attack as the OCD, I can play clean with the OCD and then get more dirt and sustain just by digging in more with my pick hand.

Currently the weak link on my pedal board is probably my delay, an Ibanez DE7. It does it's job, its quite and fairly adjustable just a little...blah. Not sure what I want to replace it with either.

I also use a Rat YDR model distortion, good vintage distortion with cool tone shaping but kinda big. I tend to only use it for a couple songs with heavy sounding riffs.

I kinda got off topic but what I meant to say was, I like the OCD a lot, I could easily see myself with 2 on my pedalboard, 1 set for low gain and 1 set for high gain. Anybody looking for a very versatile dirt pedal should at least demo it.

Sorry for the rambling, but i my defense I have been drinking.

Well, fair enough then.

Ive been on some pretty strong pain killers for the last week so I cant have a drink with you, but I will race you to the most obscure post.

I love my OCD as well, I have a Direct Drive as well and use the OCD as a low gain simply because it is better at the low gain stuff than the Direct Drive. The DD is a great overdrive pedal but a little more vintage sounding and not quite as responsive to pick attack as the OCD, I can play clean with the OCD and then get more dirt and sustain just by digging in more with my pick hand.

Currently the weak link on my pedal board is probably my delay, an Ibanez DE7. It does it's job, its quite and fairly adjustable just a little...blah. Not sure what I want to replace it with either.

I also use a Rat YDR model distortion, good vintage distortion with cool tone shaping but kinda big. I tend to only use it for a couple songs with heavy sounding riffs.

I kinda got off topic but what I meant to say was, I like the OCD a lot, I could easily see myself with 2 on my pedalboard, 1 set for low gain and 1 set for high gain. Anybody looking for a very versatile dirt pedal should at least demo it.

Trouble - have you ever stacked the two OCD's to possibly get a great high distortion sound?

Trouble - have you ever stacked the two OCD's to possibly get a great high distortion sound?

Your skim reading LOL, I only have the one OCD, but I could imagine having two since the OCD is great at low gain and high gain. The OCD does stack well with everything else I've tried with it though.

Well, fair enough then.

Ive been on some pretty strong pain killers for the last week so I cant have a drink with you, but I will race you to the most obscure post.

Ready set go!

I would love to get Tully and Trouble up to PSP, put a mini-keg between them, and just sit back to listen and watch! :laughing9:

Me too! I've heard a couple of the demos (for lack of a better word) from Tully and Iwould love to jam with him. From reading his post on here I think we are of very similiar dispositions and outlooks (at least musically) and I think we would get along pretty well.

Well, fair enough then.

Oh and by the way, Dr Trouble says mixing strong painkillers and drinking is good! Take two of these with two of these and call me on whatever morning you wake up!

When I seperated my shoulder the last time I took 4 of whatever painkillers I was prescribed (Vicadin maybe) and ended up drinking almost a case of beer throughout the course of a band practice, when I had that wreck not long ago I took painkillers and drank a couple bottles of bourbon the first 3 days. I say whatever it takes to get where your going.

Archived