Heritage Owners Club

Show Your Pedal Board

koula901

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ditched the freebie monster-big board my buddy gave me. It definitely took up too much Real Estate in the Man Cave. As I mentioned in the Musician's Friend thread, they were offering 20% off $499 orders, so I jumped on a Line 6 POD HD 500, getting it for $399 delivered. After taking my Boss GT-8 to the pawn shop and getting $150 for it, I'm only out $250. WHOOT! I'm sure it's way overkill for my needs/abilities, but I've been a sucker for multi-effect pedals since I first got a Boss GT-3 around 10 years ago. Since then, I've had a Cyber Twin, a Boss GT-6 (Great for taking to church and running through a direct box into the PA) the GT-8, Digitech RP155 (Cheap horse-trading at the pawn shop again, haha) a POD XT "Kidney Bean," and a POD XT LIve, now this. I still have the Digitech and the XT Live, but, depending on how comfortable I can get with the HD 500, and if I can really tell that the sounds are that much better the the XT LIve, it may go Bye bye, too. Anyway, long story short, my new pedal board; It just arrived this afternoon, and I haven't even had time to plug it in yet!

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/podhd500.jpg[/img]"]http://podhd500.jpg

We have songs picked from all 4 of the first bands you named to add to our song list... at some point! Kinda funny you would name those 4 bands together like that.

What songs are you doing? May give me some inspiration for a few new songs to pick-up (or polish!) Just listened to the Black Keys on Austin City Limits and am definitely gonna work on some of those as well (just have to figure out how to make my guitar growl like that!)

How do you like the BYOC wah?

The BYOC wah has been awesome. I absolutely love the tone. It has a bit more burn than I expected (which I expect is on account of something I unintentionally did wrong) and that has worked out great. Cleans up nicely on the neck pick-up and has this great burn on the bridge. In addition to the standard use, I've found it to work great with an ebow, and great in a mid-level position with swells for some cool ambiance. It was a bit of a tedious project, but I'm glad I did it. Kinda have the BYO bug now (next project may be an amp).

Most power supplies I look into that service 18 volt pedals do so by using a 'Y' patch, the tip into the pedal and two ends of cord plugging into the power supply. That's taking up too much space, as most of these power supplies only have 6-8 inputs. I'll read up on the DC brick, thanks. I've already ordered a 12 V power supply - I'll just have to plug that in separately.

koula901,

A T-Rex Chameleon power supply may be a good option for your 18v DC needs :)

I ditched the freebie monster-big board my buddy gave me. It definitely took up too much Real Estate in the Man Cave. As I mentioned in the Musician's Friend thread, they were offering 20% off $499 orders, so I jumped on a Line 6 POD HD 500, getting it for $399 delivered. After taking my Boss GT-8 to the pawn shop and getting $150 for it, I'm only out $250. WHOOT! I'm sure it's way overkill for my needs/abilities, but I've been a sucker for multi-effect pedals since I first got a Boss GT-3 around 10 years ago. Since then, I've had a Cyber Twin, a Boss GT-6 (Great for taking to church and running through a direct box into the PA) the GT-8, Digitech RP155 (Cheap horse-trading at the pawn shop again, haha) a POD XT "Kidney Bean," and a POD XT LIve, now this. I still have the Digitech and the XT Live, but, depending on how comfortable I can get with the HD 500, and if I can really tell that the sounds are that much better the the XT LIve, it may go Bye bye, too. Anyway, long story short, my new pedal board; It just arrived this afternoon, and I haven't even had time to plug it in yet!

http://podhd500.jpg

Congratulations! Does the foot pedal double on wah and volume?

Congratulations! Does the foot pedal double on wah and volume?

Thanks Katy. The "expression pedal" can act as a volume pedal, wah, or any other numerous "assignments" you can give it in any given patch you set up. For instance, it can be set up to increase the gain as you push it, or speed up or slow down a tremolo setting. I haven't gotten going with this one yet, but with my previous Line 6/Boss stuff, the default use is for volume, and if you have the pedal down all the way and then stand on it, putting the pressure on your toes, it clicks a switch that converts the pedal to a wah. Step hard with your toes again, it toggles back to volume.

What songs are you doing? May give me some inspiration for a few new songs to pick-up (or polish!) Just listened to the Black Keys on Austin City Limits and am definitely gonna work on some of those as well (just have to figure out how to make my guitar growl like that!)

The BYOC wah has been awesome. I absolutely love the tone. It has a bit more burn than I expected (which I expect is on account of something I unintentionally did wrong) and that has worked out great. Cleans up nicely on the neck pick-up and has this great burn on the bridge. In addition to the standard use, I've found it to work great with an ebow, and great in a mid-level position with swells for some cool ambiance. It was a bit of a tedious project, but I'm glad I did it. Kinda have the BYO bug now (next project may be an amp).

Helter Skelter is going to be the first Beatles song, Twist and Shout, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window too at some point, Black Dog and Good Times Bad Times for Zeppilin, With or Without You for U2 and I honestly can't remeber whiche White Stripes song (that was one of the bass player's submissions).

Finally found a minute to take a picture of the pedal board I put together for the funk gig. Very simple, and part of my "one-trip-to-rehearsal" strategy. Fortunately, rehearsals for the ensemble are in the same building as my teaching space. Here's my cart, with my Rivera Pubster, pedaltrain in case, a courier bag for music, a gig bag for cords, etc., my bass and my guitar. (There's a bass amp in the rehearsal space, so fortunately I don't have to transport one. That would probably break my one-trip setup.) Then, the board: Fuch's Plush x 2 Overdrive; Peterson tuner, Fulltone Clyde Wah, and Goodrich 120L volume, with an iso 5 powersupply underneath. The Fuchs and Goodrich were intentional experiments --I've used a Fulldrive and EB volume pedal for years, wanted to try something a little different.

008-6.jpg

009-5-1.jpg

Cool pedalboard, Larry - same size as mine, only, yours looks simple, elegant.

does the cart fold up and stash in the car? I think a cart's a good idea - where did you buy it from?

Cool pedalboard, Larry - same size as mine, only, yours looks simple, elegant.

does the cart fold up and stash in the car? I think a cart's a good idea - where did you buy it from?

It's one of the "rock and roller" carts; all the big music chains sell them. It does fold down, and you can also use it like a handcart. Very useful gizmo. My board can be simple because I don't need a very wide palette of tones for this gig. I still have my much more complex board I've used with my RR/R&B Geezer band; although my plan is to break that down into two smaller boards.

All I have to do is get some actual wood and velco. Stick the pedals to it and pull the board out when I'm ready to use it. The old laptop bag is well padded and all the extra storage is good for strings, pics, chords, batteries, etc...

If you're planning to make your own board, laminate flooring can work very well (most any flooring store would probably have a couple scrap pieces they'd give you). I used 1x2's for framing and put a couple extra on the back side to give it a slope. My board is a couple pieces of flooring made to perfectly fit in the case I tote it around in. Now I just need one of those handy carts like Larry has.

MXR Dyna Comp... I don't use it much.

I don't either.. it's one of those things I thought I had to have, but it just seems to add noise..especially when i'm using the G&L..does add a bit of sustain but I can get that using chorus..So it's kinda off the board right now..

It's one of the "rock and roller" carts; all the big music chains sell them. It does fold down, and you can also use it like a handcart. Very useful gizmo. My board can be simple because I don't need a very wide palette of tones for this gig. I still have my much more complex board I've used with my RR/R&B Geezer band; although my plan is to break that down into two smaller boards.

Is your "Geezer Band" Looking for another "Geezer"? LOL

Is your "Geezer Band" Looking for another "Geezer"? LOL

I think it's almost time, after something like eighteen years, to stick a fork in our Geezer band. We've played twice this calender year, and, so far as I'm aware, nothing definite on the schedule, although I think we're expected to play the same two gigs again next year. I'm not sure what's going on ... the head geezer seems less interested in playing, and I think perhaps the two senior geezers are a bit on the outs. Oh well. You can see my big board under me with longer, less gray hair and no beard ... that's been a while back, still. pretty much a geezer even then.

Geezerband.jpg

Sorry for the sidetrack but what meaning does 'geezer' have in the US? In the UK it means a guy who's more comfortable with a bunch of other guys than mixed company, who's loud and 'in your face' and thinks he's pretty tough.

Sorry for the sidetrack but what meaning does 'geezer' have in the US? In the UK it means a guy who's more comfortable with a bunch of other guys than mixed company, who's loud and 'in your face' and thinks he's pretty tough.

There's probably an element of all of those things in the US usage, but I think (at least in my use) it has mellowed into "an aging guy refusing to fade gracefully, by pretending to not be fading (physically, in sexual attractiveness, in hipness, etc.) at all." In short, old guys playing a young man's game ... like being in a rock and roll band.

Archived