Heritage Owners Club

Gig report w/H150 goldtop...pics

paul144

Hey all, played out with my Goldtop this past Fri, what a great sounding guitar! HRWs really fit this guitar, we do covers so it goes from Allman Bros to ZZ Top!

I played it thru a '70 Princeton modded with a 12" G12H30. Gonna use my Carr Hammerhead next gig! Can't wait! Now I need a burst...lol

Is the other guitarist using a G&L?  If so, I find it strangely appropriate that there is a Heritage and a G&L on stage instead of a Gibson and a Fender.  Given that Fender is a name only, with Leo having gone on to re-create and re-interpret his most famous models at G&L, and the Gibson-Heritage parallel doesn't really need detailing. 

Great looking GT, by the way.  Looks like you're all having fun. 

good eye! Yes, its a Legacy. If you look at the full band photo, I have a Fender Jimmie Vaughan Strat in the stand. Best Fender I've played for the buck.

Hey, Paul!  Thanks for the Heritage "Gig Report"!  Lots of fun reading about guys actually playing these things!  We should all make the effort to file  "Gig Reports" regularly!  To that end:  Took the 576 out last night.  Sat in for a couple of sets with some pals.  Old, knotty pine panelled neighborhood bar, jam packed, college kids to guys in their seventies.  The pool table was right next to us.  Folks danced among the band.  The other guitarist was playing his "fat girl."  The hightlight was a slowed-down quasi-funk version of "Whipping Post."  The 576 howled, through a souped-up silverface Princeton!  Great fun!

Paul, your report and photos are 'gig-a-licious'!  8)

I'm also scaring off women and children at clubs with my H555 and H150 these days.  Way too much fun...but better than seeing a shrink!  :rolleyes:

"Break a leg!"

Cool pics! - thanks for posting, paul.  Always like to see H's in use and gig reports.  Very very tasty goldtop you have there.  We did a trio thingy a couple weeks ago (w/o bass/drums) at a spot we play once/month or so and coincidentily, my buddy brought his GL, too  ;D  I'm sporting my sunset burst 535 w/seth lovers.  Oh yeh - tone nirvana (can't 'cha tell by the harp players face  :rolleyes:

tcjan2008_1.jpg

just go out and play, you will do fine. :afro: :afro:

I agree with this statement. I hadn't played out for 10 years until last summer. The guy repairing my AC saw my guitars laying around the house and told my wife to get me out to this bar the next town over on Wed nites for an open jam. I went there every week for about 4 months and ended up running it and starting a band with the guys I played with up there. You can play all night every night at home but playing in a band a couple of nites a week really taught me how to improvise, and play WITH others. Its been a blast and an incredible learning experience.

I have found out that there are dozens of these blues jams out there in just my area. Enough that you could have a choice for where to play almost every nite of the week. Its just a matter of getting out there and meeting people. The more you meet the better chance of finding the right people to groove with.

We now have only one other person from our original group, we have good talent, about a 50 song set list and a gig booked for June 7th and a line on another one.

I am really happy where we are now. It took about a year of work but its been fun work if that makes sense.

Congrats, Mikenov.  Seems to be the standard modus operandi.  I share a similar story.  Just getting yourself out and working through "unknown new guy" status is the tough part.  I'm now playing with a terrific band, but still go to the jams that got me back in shape for that, regularly.  I enjoy the socializing as much as the playing.  Regularly see some really good folk!           

Well, our band played one of its big gigs of the year last Friday night; the Senior Dinner Dance at St. Lawrence University, where I and several other members of our band teach.  1300 people there, and we managed to get a large portion on the dance floor for most of the first three sets, which is an accomplishment.  (We've done this gig for the last three-four years, and this was the best yet ...and, if you happened to remember my earlier post about breaking in a new drummer, the kid (18?) did a great --should I say "bang up"--job.) 

I had ambitious plans of documenting the gig --my setup, the room, etc., but in between problems with lighting on the darkened stage and the rush of actually playing, I finished the evening with exactly one photo ...the first I took, of my homemade pedal board.

There are some photos of the dancers on the SLU homepage, but none of the band ...I guess the moral of this story is that if you want pictures of a gig you need to make arrangements with someone else to actually take the pictures!

width=600 height=450http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/111518/005.jpg[/img]

I had ambitious plans of documenting the gig --my setup, the room, etc., but in between problems with lighting on the darkened stage and the rush of actually playing, I finished the evening with exactly one photo ...the first I took, of my homemade pedal board.

width=600 height=450http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/111518/005.jpg[/img]

Good God man, look at all of that stuff.  You should be flying jets.  :wink:

Pedal boards are among the perils of playing covers:

So, we do the Pointer Sister's version of "Fire," so I need the chorus/flange sound

Clapton version of "Hand Jive" requires Leslie sound, so rotosphere. 

Slapback for interlude in "For Your Love," and for our new retro-twang version of "These Boots are Made for Walking..." so replex.

I just load the board up according to the evening's set list.  So, we worked up "I Only Have Eyes for You," for this gig, so I needed the tremulator, which often stays home.   

Actually, 95% of the time the signal goes from guitar to the fulldrive, since it is interactive, through the purple switcher which provides two loops, then to the volume pedal and amp.  Most of the time I like a straight path, and even the fulldrive is set with the overdrive down so it functions largely as a boost.  All the other effects are on one loop, and most are only used for a tune or two.  The second loop goes to my tuner, with no return, so it works like a mute when it is on.  I only use the '70 fuzz on one tune in the last set, so for that set I put it in front of the fulldrive and the guitar goes straight into it --it is very responsive to changes in the guitar signal, so I want it first.  (I have a Lovetone Big Cheese which I like much better as a fuzz, but it took a hit and a pot shaft broke, and I haven't had time to get it fixed.) 

The little switch to the side is the channel switcher for my Carr Slant 6, which was in the next picture ... which didn't turn out. 

Archived