Heritage Owners Club

Distortion Pedals, that clean up well with volume roll off

koula901

I have a Wampler Super Plextortion, that's a great pedal, but doesn't clean up well when you roll down the volume. The first question is, is it reasonable to have that expectation? Perhaps a high gain pedals don't clean up well. Or, maybe I have the wrong pedal for this. Do you guys have high gain pedals that clean up well when you roll down the volume? I like the idea of setting the distortion high for lead sounds, rolling down the volume for clean, pushing it up for crunch, and higher still for distortion.

Katy, as I've mentioned, I love my Fulltone OCD for this very reason. If you want that "Triple Rectum Fryer" sound, this won't do it, and I don't know of any that can, but I've learned the hard way that, while there is a place for overdrive and distortion, the mid-scooped sound that sounds cool in the basement doesn't cut through in a band mix worth a crap. The OCD will give a lot of articulate overdrive/distortion, but not Heavy Metal stuff. Good luck!

Ooops - I posted this in 'Family Tree' instead of 'Amplification and Effects'. Perhaps moderator could move it to the correct section.

Sorry for this mistake.

Brian,

Thanks for the input. I have a great Freekish Blues Chubb UP fuzz pedal for when I do the one grunge song we do, believe it or not - even that cleans up when I roll off the volume. Super Plextortion was discontinued by Wampler, and I have read an article on the internet that says the Plextortion cleans up better with volume roll off, I just don't know if that gives high distortion.

I only use a Boss ST-2 Power stack in front of the Reverb Deluxe. With the gain set at about 9 o'clock I get great rock tones with it. AC/DC like tones. Works great. With a strat I have to push it up to about 11, but it still sounds great. Almost like a Marshall in a box which may explain why it looks like a Marhsall cab (all black with a bronze faceplate)

OCD,OCD, OCD

Also, Barber Direct Drive does pretty well but has more of a vintage OD sound, for what your looking for I would probably check out the Direct Drive LG (low gain).

But by far the most responsive pedal I've ever had is the OCD, cleans up well with volume knob and if you set the gain in the low to medium range, it well clean up just by picking softer. Extremely responsive just like an amp.

Also, the OCD is dead quite with my wah, the only other pedals on my board that don't make at least a little noise with the wah are the MXR pedals.

If you are looking for an extremely high gain pedal that cleans up well with volume roll off, I don't know what to tell you. That's kind of a contradiction in itself. You can easily stack the OCD in front of another od pedal and still have most of the responsiveness, but when you get into like the cranked Soldano/5150 kind of stuff, I don't know of a single pedal that will do that and be responsive, are really any amp that will do that to tell the truth.

I think any really good quality modern OD pedal in the medium to low gain range will probably do what you want as far as volume roll off, other than the OCD I would look at the Timmy, CMAT Mods Signa Drive or Butah, Analog Man KOT (very pricey with waiting list) , Keeley OD (can't remember what it's called). All of these pedals claim to do what you are looking for, and are produced by builders that have a huge following, and I am very sure Wampler has a pedal that will do it as well as they are one of the most popular builders. Each one will have it's own flavor, it's a shame you can't demo them all.

Maybe someone needs to open a store where you don't buy anything, just pay a door charge to come in and demo gear. After the initial start up money wouldn't be much overhead...hmmm...

If you are looking for an extremely high gain pedal that cleans up well with volume roll off, I don't know what to tell you. That's kind of a contradiction in itself. You can easily stack the OCD in front of another od pedal and still have most of the responsiveness, but when you get into like the cranked Soldano/5150 kind of stuff, I don't know of a single pedal that will do that and be responsive, are really any amp that will do that to tell the truth.

I think any really good quality modern OD pedal in the medium to low gain range will probably do what you want as far as volume roll off, other than the OCD I would look at the Timmy, CMAT Mods Signa Drive or Butah, Analog Man KOT (very pricey with waiting list) , Keeley OD (can't remember what it's called). All of these pedals claim to do what you are looking for, and are produced by builders that have a huge following, and I am very sure Wampler has a pedal that will do it as well as they are one of the most popular builders. Each one will have it's own flavor, it's a shame you can't demo them all.

Maybe someone needs to open a store where you don't buy anything, just pay a door charge to come in and demo gear. After the initial start up money wouldn't be much overhead...hmmm...

I think this answers my question. Thanks for your response.

I love my Lovepedal ProValve 2 for great distortion and good cleanup with the volume.

I've been using it less because I use the master volumes on my amps.. but I've been meaning to put it back to use. I love the tone.

These are discontinued now, but there must be other pedals that do what you need . Good luck in your quest..

A Fulltone OCD does this well when set at a lower gain level. The Barber Direct Drive and the Barber LTD do it even better. I scored a Direct Drive last winter from Brent and it made me a believer. I just picked up an LTD and it sounds great at lower gain levels. Very responsive to pick attack as well.

Archived