Heritage Owners Club

6G15 Tube Reverb Head Build - In 5 Parts. Part 1/5

DaveW

Posted in the following few messages is a document that describes my experience, design, procedure for a Fender 6G15 - type tube reverb head. The document is broken up iinto 5 parts in order to meet the 1.5 MB restriction on uploaded file size for each posting. Part 1 of 5 is enclosed. Hope you enjoy.

Part1.pdf

Very well documented, and I love what you did with the control panel; looks like you did a great job with the tolex application as well, that can be a real pain in the arse to do!

Some digital pedals have come close, but nothing beats good ol' spring reverb

One quick note though on the capacitor discharge - it is possible for caps to still retain a charge after an hour; I would perhaps rather advocate discharging the capacitors as an added saftey precaution. Also a good safety tip is to advise to keep one hand behind your back at all times while probing voltages - that keeps your non-probing hand from touching the chassis in the event you slip and something bites you!

Good points KBP810. Keeping fingers out of the chassis interior is my safety rule. Only insulated VOM probes enter that space when the power is on and the chassi is open.

Great work and very well documented.

I really believe that putting this sort of information in front of the forum can encourage those who are thinking of attempting something such as this to stop dreaming and start doing!

Good points KBP810. Keeping fingers out of the chassis interior is my safety rule. Only insulated VOM probes enter that space when the power is on and the chassi is open.

Good safety tips. I might add that when measuring amperage remember that the probes become part of the circuit, made that mistake biasing my twin, had a probe dangling and got zapped quite nicely from the probe.

Thanks for sharing the project, very cool.

Off topic but I see you have an old TR6, had a '69 back in the day. It used to break down weekly but it was a blast.

Archived