Heritage Owners Club

Does Heritage need a Facebook page?

JohnCovach

My students got me involved in Facebook, which is actually a pretty fun site.  Like MySpace, individuals have a personalized page and you can add friends, send messages, etc.  But Facebook also has "Pages" for products, businesses, and entertainers.  So, for instance, I am a "fan" of the University of Michigan, which has one of these "Pages."

A quick search on Facebook revealed that Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, and Vox all have Pages.  Check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gibson-Guita...057249265?ref=s

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fender-Guita...965079644?ref=s

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gretsch-Guit...493152550?ref=s

http://www.facebook.com/pages/VOX-Amplific...110606360?ref=s

The person who starts a page is supposed to be a representative of the company involved, so I wonder if we could get the Heritage guys to let us post a Heritage Page on Facebook.

Considering the state of the current Heritage website, it would be nice to see them actually at the front end of a new technology on the 'net.

I haven't tried Facebook...too "high school" from what I've seen, but am a fan of linkedin.com for business-oriented social networking.  That being said, it would be nice to see the factory engage in some publicity/networking/outreach.

I still think they need a .com website.

Besides, I think I'm a typical 43 year old who just doesn't "get" the whole MySpace/Facebook thing. My amps have a .com website, it's very inexpensive, and much more pro-looking than these ridiculous "post your butt so the world can marvel at it" sites. They don't respond well to being searched for, they are blocked from many peoples' work computers, and they give me a headache to look at them.

The whole trend towards these pages is to appeal to the teenage audience, who insists on limitless communication without actual information transfer. It may fit into texting and blogging, but I would think that the average guitar player would rather get their info from the company website than that kind of site. They are not informative, and I wouldn't stoop to it, if I were in their shoes. I say, let the kids have their own clubhouse.

My opinion, anyway.

rooster.

Facebook is FAR too juvenile as you have pointed out.

I honestly dont think these guitars sell themselves on advertising. The guitars sell themselves PERIOD

Hand made G brand mojo. Damn fine guitars. Say no more. Once Heritage start sucking into the obvious internet culture, watch the quality drop. I love em just the way they are :) lol lmfao rotfl wtf etc

Love em

Bless you all

Facebook is FAR too juvenile as you have pointed out.

I honestly dont think these guitars sell themselves on advertising. The guitars sell themselves PERIOD

Hand made G brand mojo. Damn fine guitars. Say no more. Once Heritage start sucking into the obvious internet culture, watch the quality drop. I love em just the way they are :) lol lmfao rotfl wtf etc

Love em

Bless you all

plus 1.

they work better as a mom and pop, Brent can walk in and gab, type establishment. there is no need to prs them...

Amen brother

Thing is though, they need a UK branch. watch their sales rocket :wink:

Maybe they need to talk to Gordon Smith (google)

Thing is they do ...

Front Runner Distribution

PO BOX 6053

Nottingham

England

NG16 1WR

44-115-945-9452

...  they do not have a website and Google brought up nothing about them so I went to Jay in Florida.

One of their reps did visit my local shop, in Ireland , about 2 or 3 years ago but their prices were too close to Gibsons Irish distributor so the shop did not stock them.

A pity as more people need to see these guitars in "the flesh" to get the word out.

Every time I mention that I have a few Heritage guitars I'm met with puzzled looks, and that's from guys who play not from people with just a casual interest.

When I then explain that I had to buy sight unseen from the US they look surprised but when I fill out the background and history a bit more they become interested.

To answer Johns question Heritage definitely need to do something to improve the general publics awareness of the brand.

I'm not sure that Facebook is the way to go though, it would however provide much needed publicity to the masses.

I appreciate the feelings about Facebook and even MySpace.  I don't want to appear to be trying to trump anybody else's experience, but I spend a certain amount of time in meetings discussing ways to spread the word about Eastman and the University of Rochester.  There's no turning back: people under the age of about 30 use the Internet in ways that are foreign to many of us who are older.  And in ten years, that group will be people under 40, and in twenty years, those under 50.  By that time, many of us will be dead (egad!!)--or at least, no longer buying guitars.

It seems like this forum has done quite a bit to bolster support for Heritage.  Ten years ago, some might have thought that an online chat group about an electric-guitar company was suitable only for high-school kids and geeky slackers . . .

Most young and even older bands have a myspace or face book page. Its how things are now.

JohnCovach is right when he says there is no turning back.

Most of you buy your Heritage guitars on line, spend a lot of time on this and other forums and youtube etc. Its not really any different. Actually theres no difference.

Our band has had a myspace account for a long time and it has made some great contacts for us in all different areas of our lives, not just band related.

Theres a sense of exclusivity that sometimes runs through some of the threads on this forum, kinda like an old boys club. (Im 44 btw).

If Heritage were to subscribe to something like facebook(It doesnt affect me if they do or dont) I cant possibly see how that would effect the quality of the guitars they make ??? as mentioned in a previous post.

Ok.... smite freely. :)

What Heritage needs, IMHO, is some ads in guitar magazines. Hamer does a pretty good job at it. Too bad advertising is very expensive--especially for a full page ad! But I think they'd get a lot of exposure that way.

What Heritage needs, IMHO, is some ads in guitar magazines. Hamer does a pretty good job at it. Too bad advertising is very expensive--especially for a full page ad! But I think they'd get a lot of exposure that way.

I used to think the same thing, but now I don't know that I agree.  After all, what is Heritage's corporate growth plan?  To make 10,000 guitars a year?  I don't think so.

Sure, mag ads feed the ego (I know, I'm self-employed in a small business and have to make decisons to spend $$ on ads) just like the car salesman who does his own TV spots feeds his/her ego.  But is it REALLY necessary in Heritage's case?  Street buzz is where its at for Heritage, with this site helping to stir up the buzz.

A new web site is definately called for.  I volunteered, but they didn't call me back!    ;D

........ I'm self-employed in a small business and have to make decisons to spend $$ on ads....

Same here.  I refuse to advertise.  I have tried it and it has never worked in the least.  Every so often I gets calls asking me to donate photos for ad space.  I just tell them that I charge for usage and they go away.  Word of mouth is the only true advertising in my book....at least that is all that has ever worked for me.

That said I do run a web site and I am quite popular on myspace and facebook with the local high school kids who's games I shot last year.  "Your Ron Warren?  I have your pictures on my facebook page...."  Funny, all of that exposure didn't get many sales. 

If an ad campaign was successful it might put Heritage out of business again.  :wink:

How about a review in Vintage Guitar Mag?  That's one of my favorite reads, think the reviews are pretty fair/open.  Would think that Heritage would be a great story line...  hmmmm  even an article written and submitted about some 'owners club' that's having a factory tour along with a guitar review of say a 535 (w/seth lovers) - maybe the '23' model?  That would seem to reach a target audience and the linkage of Vintage Guitar to Heritage seems one that...  haven't they done this before??!?!?!  It's so obvious as I'm writing this, but I don't recall ever reading about Heritage in VG other than this month's Alex interview?

Anyone know anybody connected w/VG?  An email seems appropriate here...

I appreciate the feelings about Facebook and even MySpace.  I don't want to appear to be trying to trump anybody else's experience, but I spend a certain amount of time in meetings discussing ways to spread the word about Eastman and the University of Rochester.  There's no turning back: people under the age of about 30 use the Internet in ways that are foreign to many of us who are older.  And in ten years, that group will be people under 40, and in twenty years, those under 50.  By that time, many of us will be dead (egad!!)--or at least, no longer buying guitars.

100% correct

Facebook, and social networking websites are here to stay. Its not just for the kids either, its just that the young folks are quicker to adopt these technologies.

As a former self-enjoyed small business owner, I'll chime in on advertising.  I never did.  All of my business (high end system and network administration/security consluting...er, consulting) was generated through word of mouth.  I never took out an ad, had a very minimalist web site and still had more work than I could handle.  I resorted to raising prices to drive potential customers away.  You know what that got me?  More potential customers.  Damnedest thing I ever saw...people think if you charge more than your competition you must be better! 

All our oldest and dearest most faithful customers we have are there because of good service and word of mouth. A lot of new customers live 1000s of km's away and only know us through our website and emails. Where we used to compete with 5-6 other companies now we compete with 100's. I prefer to deal on a face to face level and build a relationship that is based on knowing someone at a grassroots level rather than someone who sends an impersonal email for our cheapest price and then one more to tell us how much lower we need to go to win their custom.

I dont like conducting business like this, but this is how it is now.

Btw Im more than likely to email them back and tell them to buy elsewhere if they can get it so cheaply. I phone the opposition to see if theyre really going that low. If they are theres generally a reason :wink:

As a former self-enjoyed small business owner, I'll chime in on advertising.  I never did.  All of my business (high end system and network administration/security consluting...er, consulting) was generated through word of mouth.  I never took out an ad, had a very minimalist web site and still had more work than I could handle.  I resorted to raising prices to drive potential customers away.  You know what that got me?  More potential customers.  Damnedest thing I ever saw...people think if you charge more than your competition you must be better! 

It's interesting that you should mention the price phenomenon; that's exactly what Henry J said about Gibson a while back that had everybody's panties in a wad on the gear boards.  But it's often quite correct, and my experience teaching at both private and public universities supports it as well.  This is not an attempt to link you to Henry J, Dick!  :wink:

But the role of advertising is different from business to business.  If Fender and Gibson stopped advertising, I'll bet they'd start to lose market share.  When Fender took over Gretsch and started advertising those guitars again, sales increased and used values rose sharply.  With luxury items, a desire to buy often arises out of a desire to participate in the lifestyle that the product represents or endorses.  Advertising plays a major role in creating the "myths" that surround various products and services, and without that, you are severely handicapped (in some markets).

Word of mouth works great in those situations where your potential customers are in contact with one another and have reason to mention your business.  This is the way it works in academic publishing, for instance, which is in some ways a lot like consulting.  In fact, within these kinds of communities advertising is often viewed with some suspicion and could be seen to "cheapen" the product or service (or seem crass and/or commercial).

But if you want to sell guitars to people who mostly don't hang out with other guitar players (except maybe on the internet), word of mouth is a very slow and unreliable method to employ.  And amateurs and hobbyists are still the principal customers you need to make a guitar brand work, even a small one.  A few of us here do music for a living, but most don't.  I spend a lot of time with musicians and most of these people spend less money on their gear than the average enthusiastic amateur. 

Heritage sells as many guitars as it makes, but the bottom line turned out to be a problem for them--so much so that they wanted to shut the whole thing down.  If they want to succeed into the future, they must find a way to advertise and get their story out.  You can spend far too much money on advertising, so the key is to find the way that pays the greatest return on the smallest investment.

Getting back to Facebook: I think such free advertising poses no risk and could be very effective in getting the story of the brand out to a whole generation of folks who don't already know about Gibson, Kalamazoo, and all the stuff many of us lived through in the 70s and 80s.

Archived