Heritage Owners Club

Anyone have a Vox AC-15 C1?

smurph1

I'm becoming a bit frustrated with my C-30, and I'm looking at the Vox AC-15 C1..They seem pretty nice..anyone have one? Whatcha think? Scott..

saw your other thread and wanted to chime in because I've had a C-30 and also an AC-15 and AC-30.

Your C-30 has a TON more clean headroom than the AC-15 c1 IMO.

I like the break up on an AC-15 or 30 MUCH better than on the C-30. I currently have a delta blues 210 and my only real complaint is that the OD channel is a little too compressed sounding for my taste.

The other thing about the AC's is that your high end won't be nearly as shrill or ice picky as the C-30 (the reason I sold mine). My Delta is much better on this front as well - must be the cabinet and speakers, I guess.

I would suggest maybe a couple options if you're looking for something else.

A Vox Night Train. I had one and regret selling it because I felt it had more headroom than an AC15, but it still retained that Voxy thing in either the clean channel or the 'thick' mode.

I also have, sitting in pieces beside me at this moment for retolexing, an Ibanez tube screamer head. 15 watts, LOTS of clean headroom, built in tube screamer circuit, effects loop, foot switch (sold separately), and a huge number of cab options on the head for mixing and matching speaker cabinets. Very nice sounding amp and it only runs $300 new. I got mine used for $150 because the tolex was VERY messed up. I'm redoing it in black because I like that color better, but it makes a nice alternative to my Delta when I want lower power for recording or not melting my face off. The Ibanez is also loud enough to gig with assuming you match it with the right cab.

I sincerely hope those suggestions help somewhat, and good luck with finding what you want. I'm so frustrated with amps right now that I just sent a message to KBP on this forum about building me an amp!

Peace

Matt

saw your other thread and wanted to chime in because I've had a C-30 and also an AC-15 and AC-30.

Your C-30 has a TON more clean headroom than the AC-15 c1 IMO.

I like the break up on an AC-15 or 30 MUCH better than on the C-30. I currently have a delta blues 210 and my only real complaint is that the OD channel is a little too compressed sounding for my taste.

The other thing about the AC's is that your high end won't be nearly as shrill or ice picky as the C-30 (the reason I sold mine). My Delta is much better on this front as well - must be the cabinet and speakers, I guess.

I would suggest maybe a couple options if you're looking for something else.

A Vox Night Train. I had one and regret selling it because I felt it had more headroom than an AC15, but it still retained that Voxy thing in either the clean channel or the 'thick' mode.

I also have, sitting in pieces beside me at this moment for retolexing, an Ibanez tube screamer head. 15 watts, LOTS of clean headroom, built in tube screamer circuit, effects loop, foot switch (sold separately), and a huge number of cab options on the head for mixing and matching speaker cabinets. Very nice sounding amp and it only runs $300 new. I got mine used for $150 because the tolex was VERY messed up. I'm redoing it in black because I like that color better, but it makes a nice alternative to my Delta when I want lower power for recording or not melting my face off. The Ibanez is also loud enough to gig with assuming you match it with the right cab.

I sincerely hope those suggestions help somewhat, and good luck with finding what you want. I'm so frustrated with amps right now that I just sent a message to KBP on this forum about building me an amp!

Peace

Matt

Thanks Matt..I sincerely Love my C-30 especially for the clean tones and the reverb is great too..I just hate fighting this noise problem..maybe I can pop another pre amp tube in and make it work for awhile longer..i'm wanting to buy some recording equipment and I really wasn't planning on buying a new amp.. Gotta say too that that Peavey really loves my ASAT..It just kills!! thanks for your input, man..Merry Christmas!!

I have an AC30CC2, it sounds great with Heritages and G&Ls ( not all amps I've tried like the MFDS, the Cube 30x didn't and the Laney doesn't either. Just something to be aware of if you're shopping around).

Thanks man.. :icon_santa:

Silly question .... Is the Peavey humming with the ASAT and the 535 ?

I have fairly bad noise problems with single coils due to interference from CFL ( fluorescent ) bulbs.

It is humming with both..Ihave a noise suppressor on my pedal board..It even hums with the volumes down and nothing plugged in..Wierd huh?

I tried a AC15 C1 and CC1, as well as an AC30. None of them sparked and interest with me. They aren't very reliable anymore since they stopped producing them in the US. That's a real bummer with your C-30. I rather love the deep OD tones on the DeltaBlues. So much so, that I sold my Boss ST2 powerstack as I no longer feel the need for it. Perhaps you should send KBP an email about building you a handwired amp that will stand up much longer then any PCB board amp out there? His Reverb Deluxes are awesome and his ODS are absolutely killer. Just a thought.

Heed Detroit's advice! I JUST contacted KBP about a custom build for me. He listened to my description, and pretty much NAILED what I was thinking. As soon as the holiday is over I'm sending him cash to get him started on my amp. I've only been on the forum for a short time, but the people here speak about his amps VERY highly. FWIW

Peace

I tried a AC15 C1 and CC1, as well as an AC30. None of them sparked and interest with me. They aren't very reliable anymore since they stopped producing them in the US. That's a real bummer with your C-30. I rather love the deep OD tones on the DeltaBlues. So much so, that I sold my Boss ST2 powerstack as I no longer feel the need for it. Perhaps you should send KBP an email about building you a handwired amp that will stand up much longer then any PCB board amp out there? His Reverb Deluxes are awesome and his ODS are absolutely killer. Just a thought.

+1

Handwired, where you can get it, is the way to go.

The benefit of going with Brian is you will know what is going in your amp as you go. That is something you just can't get with any other amp.

When my Starlite arrives, the beauty of it is I can make adjustments easily. Any amp repairman can work on the amp with no issue.

Heed Detroit's advice! I JUST contacted KBP about a custom build for me. He listened to my description, and pretty much NAILED what I was thinking. As soon as the holiday is over I'm sending him cash to get him started on my amp. I've only been on the forum for a short time, but the people here speak about his amps VERY highly. FWIW

Peace

+2.

This is EXACTLY why I approached him with my Starlite idea. He knew what to do when I didn't. I had a basic idea of what I wanted but was able to round it out a bit more into something workable.

What I am ending up with is a mixture of the amps I have truly enjoyed playing. BR1 layout, Bassman power section, Fender tube driven reverb, Fender style BMT EQ. Just sick.

+2.

This is EXACTLY why I approached him with my Starlite idea. He knew what to do when I didn't. I had a basic idea of what I wanted but was able to round it out a bit more into something workable.

What I am ending up with is a mixture of the amps I have truly enjoyed playing. BR1 layout, Bassman power section, Fender tube driven reverb, Fender style BMT EQ. Just sick.

That amp sounds cool!

I'm going in a different direction with my KBP amp though.

I'm looking for something in the 15-22 watt range that has a basically British character. KBP is going to build me an EL84 based amp with a little more headroom than the usual fare with this style amp, but still an amp that likes to live in that 'just broken up' place. I'm doing mine as a head in order to have a lot of flexibility with cabs and whatnot. I'm mystified as to why guitar players spend hours arguing about whether or not to get a fifteen watt or thirty watt amp based on volume when they should be asking what type of cab they need.

More watt's don't always = a TON more volume. There's what, like 3-5 db of difference between a 15 and a 30 watt amp. In order to double volume you have to multiply your wattage by like ten. The real question is 'WHAT SPEAKER CAB SHOULD I USE!' :laughing4:

I play mostly indie rock, or what used to be called alternative rock - before that phrase stopped meaning anything. Think 'The Damnwells', R.E.M., Aimee Mann (from the Live at St. Ann's Warehouse CD), Death Cab for Cutie, Wilco, The Jayhawks, Elliot Smith etc. So this amp should be perfect for that - the kind of amp that wants to live right in that sweet spot before total break up, but can take a pedal well in order to beat it into submission...

BTW- For those of you that haven't heard it, the Aimee Mann recording I mentioned has some sick guitar playing on it. Larry Coryell's son plays guitar on that concert.

He's playing a Matchless and a beautiful Hamer no less! It's also available on DVD, and the production value is awesome! Highly recommended, if you like singer songwriter style stuff.

Oh, and I ALWAYS have to lay out a shameless plug for the Damnwells. Best straight ahead rock band around right now, and considering the state of the music industry, I doubt they'll make it much longer - unfortunately.

Peace

The cab I am building for my 40w Starlite is a single 12. You will NOT have a problem hearing me. haha.

I am going with the Eminence Patriot series Cannibis Rex (50w and 102db/1w/1m). This thing is going to be LOUD.

You can make up for lost volume with more speakers where you power amp or speaker sensitivity lacks.

I played a 5w into a 4x12 (Eminence Loaded) and it was plenty loud!

From what I've read online the early Vox amps made in China had some reliability issues. I made sure when buying that it wasn't an older one,I have mine two years now and haven't had any problems, mind you it's not been gigged. A common complaint is the reverb which sounds unlike most spring reverbs, especially if turned up full, I usually have it on very low.

fwiw

I had an AC30CC2 plus an AC30CC2X as well as an AC30C1 and they all worked fine, over a 3 year period

I think a lot of these reliability issues are just sour grapes because they're made in china

I opened them up and they are built better than any of the new Marshall crap, that is built in England

they are also great sounding amps, the master volume is one of the best I've used

fwiw

I had an AC30CC2 plus an AC30CC2X as well as an AC30C1 and they all worked fine, over a 3 year period

I think a lot of these reliability issues are just sour grapes because they're made in china

I opened them up and they are built better than any of the new Marshall crap, that is built in England

they are also great sounding amps, the master volume is one of the best I've used

Nope. I had a MIC Vox and it was falling apart right at about one year after purchase. Nothing horrible, but indicative of poor build. Now... I am not saying that is because it was MIC. Hey, one only need look at American made cars to know that we do NOT corner the market on reliable products. In fact, I believe it was us that created 'planned obsolecense".

It really did have issues. Given that there are solid brands built in China, I don't believe for a second that it is only because it is built in China. In the end, Korg comissioned the work and they got what they ordered. Roland did to with the Cubes... and the Boss products. What about Jet City? VERY reliable brands with their products produced in China.

Gibson, on the other hand, MIA, had some serious issues for a bit. Fender had their stint of crap but they are mostly reliable in my experience despite where they are made.

In terms of quality, I don't really care where it was made, the company who claims it as a product is ultimately responsible for its reliability. That is my take on it.

The new Marshall crap may be built in England... but it is out of the cheapest crap they can find from what I am hearing.

Nope. I had a MIC Vox and it was falling apart right at about one year after purchase. Nothing horrible, but indicative of poor build. Now... I am not saying that is because it was MIC. Hey, one only need look at American made cars to know that we do NOT corner the market on reliable products. In fact, I believe it was us that created 'planned obsolecense".

It really did have issues. Given that there are solid brands built in China, I don't believe for a second that it is only because it is built in China. In the end, Korg comissioned the work and they got what they ordered. Roland did to with the Cubes... and the Boss products. What about Jet City? VERY reliable brands with their products produced in China.

Gibson, on the other hand, MIA, had some serious issues for a bit. Fender had their stint of crap but they are mostly reliable in my experience despite where they are made.

In terms of quality, I don't really care where it was made, the company who claims it as a product is ultimately responsible for its reliability. That is my take on it.

The new Marshall crap may be built in England... but it is out of the cheapest crap they can find from what I am hearing.

Sub- $1,000 Marshall amps are not made in UK.

Peace

I'd love to..but I wonder if I can afford it..Maybe Detroit can chime in on how much his Deluxe Reverb was..(or just PM me maybe) :icon_santa:

Archived