Heritage Owners Club

modeling vs tube amps

Ahh..so one less sub circuit to fail, one less tube to buy...cool. How are they at low volumes? Guess I need to do some you tubing.

No master volume on the originals, so you need to crank them if you want the BIG overdrive. IMHO, they sound great clean at lower volumes. The Tweed Deluxe is rated at 12 watts (until it distorts), so it isn't loud in a band context, but you would be surprised at HOW LOUD they are in your basement.

To get that great bluesy, rock sound you have to CRANK them up.... unless you know the special secret, ahh??!!!!!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do Tweed Deluxes or other tweeds for that matter typically have reverb? I have a reverb addiction.

first combo w/reverb was '61 Ampeg Reverberocket. Fender followed a few months later, but that's long after tweed era

Ahh..so one less sub circuit to fail, one less tube to buy...cool. How are they at low volumes? Guess I need to do some you tubing.

There are lots of great kits for the Tweed Deluxe, Pete, especially in the US. Why not build one? It's good fun :)

026cead7.jpg

There are lots of great kits for the Tweed Deluxe, Pete, especially in the US. Why not build one? It's good fun :)

026cead7.jpg

Only if you come and build the cabinet for me Howard. The electronics I can handle.

Actually, I would love to one day but presently my plate is full.

Only if you come and build the cabinet for me Howard. The electronics I can handle.

Once the kids are making their own lives I may well take you up on that ;)

'Cause we can't get that stunningly figured English Oak!!!

Modellers are incredibly versatile and probably THE amp of choice for a working musician in a bunch of bands. That said, they don't have the same magic a tube amp does, to my ears. That doesn't mean modellers don't sound good...plenty do! They just can't get CERTAIN sounds. My housemate swears his Vox modeller set to JTM45 ACTUALLY sounds like a JTM45 or an AC15 or whatever. I strongly disagree. One day we'll have to try it out. My contention has always been, "Yes, it sounds good....but it does NOT sound like my JTM45 at all."

It sucks having reference tones in your head, doesn't it?

This is a sub-discussion to the age-old solid state versus tube amp debate that never goes away. I get around it by having solid state, hybrid, and all-tube amps, as each has its good tones. Carvin, for example, writes up their SX solid state amps: " . . . It's almost like the SX produces an idealized tube sound!" As for modeling, in the past few years, I find I'm playing more guitar and enjoying it more through the use of my Fender G-DEC amps. I've never cared for the sound of a single guitar playing without at least another guitar playing rhythm, if not a bass and drum rhythm section. Unless one can call up a bass player, a drummer, and maybe a keyboard player at a moment's notice, the G-DEC backing tracks, along with their amp and pedal modeling, allow a player to play rhythm and lead guitar at any time for however long in any key and any tempo. For fuller tone, I set my G-DEC30 up with a 12" cabinet and a 2x12" cab, joined by an A/B switch for variety. As far as modeling, the G-DEC30 offers: Tweed-1, 2, 3; Blackface-1, 2, 3; Dyna-Touch-1, 2, 3, 4; British-1, 2, 3; Modern-1, 2, 3; and Acoustic, along with Gain 1-10; Volume; Bass; Middle; Treble; Compressor; Timbre; Noise Gate, and then 29 Effects, each adjustable.

I'm always fascinated by these discussions. Guitar people are such snobs when it comes to tube amps, and my experience is that only a very few are rightly so. 90% of us (and sadly I'm in that 90%), can't really tell the difference.

I think what matters depends on what kind of sound you're trying to get. If you play clean then there is no difference between a tube and SS amp (except that clean amplification is more consistent with transistors than with tubes). If you're relying on pedals to get a sound, then there's no difference between a tube and SS amp (though in reality the pedal and amp are a chain, so it's that combination of pedal and amp that is what most people are trying to get, and tube saturation can contribute to the ultimate effect). It's only in the breakup of pushing the signal through a tube where the difference between a tube and SS will show up, and all of the modelling focuses on using silicon to emulate the same type of clipping and saturation that you get with tubes. These days (as in the last few years), however, the new revolution is consumer available digital signal processing (DSP) which makes it possible to do all sorts of processing on the signal, to model different amp circuit qualities, tube combinations, speakers, microphones, etc. all just by manipulating digital bits. This stuff is amazing, even to the point of adding-in harmonics and overtones, and from a signal processing perspective (as in watching the signal on an oscilloscope) the differences between the actual original and emulated signals is almost to the point of measurement error. That said.. amazingly, there are still a few people who can consistently tell the difference, even though the rest of us can't. It's basically the same thing that makes BOSE speakers sound so good to many. They rely on signal processing and understanding of the characteristics of what a typical human ear can and cannot distinguish to produce a sound that people like. Supposedly the same "lucky few" mentioned above who can tell the difference between tube and SS often find the BOSE DSP sound annoying.

At this point it's all been tried. All tube. All solid-state. Hybrid with a tube preamp and SS power amp. Hybrid with a SS preamp and tube power amp, dsp, etc. Different people have their favourites of these combinations, and the fact that they have tried them all seems to indicate there isn't one "right " answer. I have proved to myself that while can't (usually) tell the difference between tube and SS, I do definitely have a sound that I like, irrespective of whether it's coming from tube, SS or DSP. Apparently, I like crisp highs, and am sensitive to muddy mids. When messing around in the music store it took only a couple of iterations for the sales droid to hone into "my sound" and be able to point me to the things I was likely to like.

I'm pretty sure I posted this before, but I still think the link below does a good job of dispelling most of the amp myths out there. According to this (something I agree with BTW) the only thing SS cannot necessarily do well is the power stage distortion, and you can warm up that sterile SS sound by putting a tube pretty much anywhere in the connection chain. As for the first point, I don't think his comments are up to date with the most recent DSP products, which are better now than they were even 2 years ago.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/amps/myths.php

Last night I met up with a whole bunch of new guys for a band. The other guitarist was playing a Fender Mustang V head through a matching 2x12 cabinet. That amp sounded great. Everyone loved my tone on the Peavey, but I was really surprised to hear how organic sounding the Mustang was for overdriven and clean tones... Very nice.

Last night I met up with a whole bunch of new guys for a band. The other guitarist was playing a Fender Mustang V head through a matching 2x12 cabinet. That amp sounded great. Everyone loved my tone on the Peavey, but I was really surprised to hear how organic sounding the Mustang was for overdriven and clean tones... Very nice.

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Mustangs, and they come in quite a variety of sizes.

I'll help you in your hijacking Brian !!! LOL

The Reverend is infamously known for purposely misleading Guitar Player readers on his gear to get his tone. I read where it is a very simple rig in the early days with most of their hits. Just a '59 Les Paul through a cranked Tweed Deluxe. No wall of Marshalls with 6 RAT pedals, I guess all of that was just backdrop for the stage. Just a Les Paul through a cranked Tweed and some great talent & fingers. His rig might be more complicated after Eliminator, but I have heard he still gets a kick telling people they need this mysterious pedal with a special mod to get his tone, when he never used it!!!!

plus, his strings are 7's!

• 1 month later...

I can't sleep (3am minneapolis) so I took a peek here. The Johnson Marquee JM60 with the J8 foot control is, imo, an incredible modelling amp. 1 tube in preamp. large choice of vintage british amps, vintage american amps, Johnsons own creations + you can design your own! They are now no longer making amps. They never caught on. But Adrian Belew loves them!!! Google and check them out. The original msrp was about $1200 w/J8 ~ I bought mine used with J8 about 10 yrs ago for $150 bucks! Its by far my favorite and most versitle amp! I am a 'play/record at home only' guy so it reallygives me about40 different amps in one. I see these on CL and Ebay ocassionally (sp) for a few hundred bucks.

Someone mentioned the Egenater Amps. I just bought the Rebel 20 ~ Ebay ~ $300 bucks. Another awesome amp! All tube (7 of 'em) ~ can dial in 1 - 20 watts, and blend the tubes to create american, british, or your own tones...exremely versitle! Check them out via google. Joe Walsh uses them when he tours with the eagles. Supposedly the band wants a quiet stage ~ they're old now 'ya know! hee-hee! I am matching it to a 1965 Fender Blackface 2x10 cab w/original Oxfords. Holy S**T!!!

BARRY CLARK: Do you still have that Blue FT H-140 3pup I sold you a few years ago? If so, wanna sell it???

OK ~ back to bed to try to sleep. Check out the Johnson amp info below:

Johnson - Marquis

johnsonmarquis.jpg

Review at Guitar magazine - excerpts:

...a compact and simplified version of the Johnson flagship models, the Millennium 150 and 250 H. Unlike its brethren, which have control panels that look more like digital effects than conventional guitar amps, the Marquis is very traditional in look and layout; the knobs resemble those you'd find on any "regular" amp, and the effects section, though powerful enough to provide what most guitarists would consider the essential staples and more, keeps things uncomplicated and straightforward.

While competing digital modelers seek to emulate the performance of tubes in software, Johnson continues to include an actual 12AX7 tube in its circuitry, before the analog-to-digital conversion process. [but no power tube - Michael]

One of the coolest things about the Marquis is the ease with which you can switch between Preset mode (where tone settings are recalled from memory) and Manual mode (where the current position of the knobs determines the sound, just like a regular amp). Working in Manual mode is an especially good way to get a handle on the differences between the amp models.

Unlike the volume control of a conventional tube amp, the Marquis' volume is controlled by a solid-state power-section, not by the gain of any tube stages. While the argument in favor of pure tube tone is powerful, there's a practical advantage to the Marquis' circuit--you can play clean at just as high a volume as you can play crunchy, something that doesn't really happen on most tube combos,

I was struck not only by the Marquis' tone--which boasts the seemingly contradictory attributes of flexibility and distinct personality--but also by the overall intelligence of the unit's design. Though simple for a "digital" amp, the Marquis is as elegant as its name implies; the features are well chosen, and you can access most of them without extensive time with your nose in the owner's manual.

Has a simple knob-based interface but the Mirage may be even simpler to use than this.

official Marquis page - "Adding to the phenomenal success of the Johnson line of Modeling amps, comes the Marquis series JM60. Don't let size fool you, the JM60 is capable of delivering 120 watts of power. With 18 different amp models, 27 user/27 factory presets, 3 digital effects at once, stereo effects loops and a headphone out which doubles as speaker compensated direct outs, the Marquis JM60 is truly the most amplifier you'll ever find in this small of a package."

• Tube Plate Supply: 240 Volts
  • Tube: Single 12AX7
  • 18 different amp models to choose from:
    • AMERICAN: Black Face, Tweed, Rectified, Blues Combo, Boutique, High Gain
    • BRITISH: Class A Clean, Class A Dirt, High Wattage, Master Volume, Modern Gain, Hot Rod
    • JOHNSON: Clean Tube, Crunch Tube, Saturated Tube, Fuzz, Overdrive, Fuzz, Metal

[*]Accurate EQ points to emulate actual amp models

[*]Amp Controls:

• Master Volume
    • Gain
    • Treble
    • Mid
    • Bass
    • Level

[*]Stereo 120 Watt Combo Amplifier (60 watts x 2)

[*]Extension Speaker Cabinet outputs

[*]12AX7 Preamp Tube

[*]Single 12 " Eminence 100 Watt Speaker

[*]TI Effects Processing

[*]Stereo effect send and return loop

[*]27 user/27 factory presets

[*]Headphone output/doubles as speaker compensated direct out

[*]Fully programmable digital effects - up to three at once

[*]Univinyl covering

[*]20 bit A/D/A

[*]24 bit DSP

[*]Speaker on/off switch

[*]Optional J3 Foot Switch, or J8 Foot Controller

[*]Digital Effects:

• Chorus
    • Flange
    • Phaser
    • Tremolo
    • Vibrato [uni-Vibe]
    • Pitch Shift / Detuner
    • Delay
    • Hall, Plate, and Spring Reverbs

[*]Input Section: 1/4" Unbalanced 470k Ohm

[*]Rear Connections:

[*]Stereo Effects Send 1/4" Stereo TRS (680 Ohm, max +18dBu)

[*]Stereo Effects Rtn 1/4" Stereo TRS (15k Ohm, max +18dBu)

[*]External Speaker Output (1) 1/4", (8 Ohms minimum)

[*]Stereo Headphone 1/4" Stereo TRS (10 Ohms minimum)

[*]Speaker On/Off Switch

[*]Footswitch Jack 1/4" TRS

[*]J8 Control Jack 5 pin DIN

[*]Speaker: (1) 12 inch Eminence 100 Watt Speaker

[*]Rated Power Outputs:

[*]Mono - 60 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms

[*]Stereo - 120 Watts RMS (60W + 60W) into 8 ohms

[*]DSP Section:

[*]Freq Response: 20-20kHz +\-0.5dB

[*]S/N Ratio: Greater than 98 dB (A-weighted) ref=max signal, 22kHz measurement bandwidth

[*]A/D Convertor: 20 Bit, 128x Oversampled 44.1 kHz Sampling Rate

[*]D/A Convertor: 20 Bit, 128x Oversampled

[*]Max Delay Time: 1.2 Seconds

[*]Dimensions: 11" (D) x 23" (W) x 18" (H)

[*]Net Weight: 45 lbs.

Marquis launch article at Harmony Central - excerpts:

Following the successes of the Millennium amplifiers, the Marquis is smaller, lighter and more affordable. Tube-driven preamp, programmable effects, 12-inch, 100-watt speaker in a single compact package. 60 watts RMS in mono, with the addition of an external speaker, the JM60 can provide 120 watts stereo.

Traditional amp controls--including Master Volume, Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble and Level-are all available on dedicated front-panel
knobs for quick and user-friendly adjustment of standard amp functions
. Furthermore, EQ points for each amp simulation are set up to accurately match those of their respective models for the most realistic emulation at every setting.

Effects processor (24-bit DSP, 20-bit A/D/A) parameters are easily alterable via pots.27 factory presets are provided, as well as 27 locations for the user's custom-defined settings. Effects are all fully programmable, with up to three available at once.

The intuitive user interface makes the JM60 as easy to use as simply connecting a guitar and playing.
With amp models and digital effects clearly labeled on the front panel and parameters quickly adjustable via dedicated knobs, there are no mind-boggling menus and sub-menus that are exhausting to learn and operate.

The Marquis JM60's preamp uses a high-voltage 12AX7 vacuum tube to deliver the unique warmth and richness necessary to duplicate the tones of the world's most popular amps. To date, Johnson Amplification is the only modeling amplifier manufacturer incorporating tubes in its preamps. [no one's done power tubes in a modelling amp yet]

$900

official Johnson products page

Research links

Johnson Marquis

+Johnson +Marquis

Click these custom links to find the latest information and discussion about this product.

search at Harmony Central

1999 NAMM Article at Harmony Central

1997 NAMM Article at Harmony Central

Marquis launch article at Harmony Central

product news for this manufacturer at Harmony Central

user reviews for this manufacturer at Harmony Central

/qs.xp?ST=PS&svcclass=dnyr&firstsearch=yes&show_preserve=on&QRY=Johnson+Marquis&defaultOp=AND&DBS=1&OP=dnquery.xp&LNG=english&subjects=&groups=*guitar*&authors=&fromdate=&todate=&showsort=score&maxhits=100"]search newsgroup postings at Deja.com

search Google

search AltaVista

Had a Johnson "J-Station" once that sounded great in headphones: ok in one amp I had: and terrible coming through another amp I had.

Typically now I gig with a Roland Cube, and go to blues jams (where there's cognoscenti hanging around) with a 1X12 Champ clone.

Had a Johnson "J-Station" once that sounded great in headphones: ok in one amp I had: and terrible coming through another amp I had.

Typically now I gig with a Roland Cube, and go to blues jams (where there's cognoscenti hanging around) with a 1X12 Champ clone.

haha. I love that term.

"Yes, you sounded very good. It was terrible though only because you didn't use a [insert approved amp type, make and model]."

Archived