Heritage Owners Club

Fender Tweed Deluxe VS Blues Deluxe Reissue: What Say You?

schundog

All this talk about the Tweed Deluxe and John's sweet-ass clips got me more curious about these amps. MF doesn't sell a Fender Tweed Deluxe or a Tweed Deluxe reissue; But several years ago there was the Tweed Blues Deluxe Reissue. I've posted a current ebay ad that explains that it adds channel switching and reverb, basically. My question to those who have a real one or have had a real one is, will this "get me there?!" I also saw several ads for 5E3 clones, which I assume is the Tweed Deluxe circuit. Please don't tell me that the new PCB amp is unreliable and I really MUST have a handwired amp to get "the tone." I don't buy it. All other opinions welcome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FENDER-BLUES-DELUXE-REISSUE-TWEED-112-TUBE-COMBO-AMP-AMPLIFIER-w-REVERB-/200655071054?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb7f9674e

The Blues Deluxe is a modern take on the original, but with PCB reliability (and lack of DIY workability). I have one as well as a matching extension speaker. I love the tones and ability to channel switch to the Gain Channel. The Clean Channel is my favorite. Break-up starts at about 4 and is sweet. Some purists might not appreciate Fender's PCB set-up, but this amp sings! It's got two Groove Tube 6L6 power tubes that are warm and bluesy. The amp i LOUD, has a wonderful tube driven reverb and is reliable. New Fender amps all come with a 5 year warranty. To me, that speaks volumes compared to other makers. If I were to compare the Blues Deluxe, it would probably be more similar to the other Hot Rod Deluxe amp as already mentioned. The Blues Deluxe has a different tone stack designed to break up a little sooner however. This is the amp I sold my Peavey Delta Blues 15 for. And I really liked that fat bottomed DB 15.

I cannot compare it to any 5E3 clones because that's an apples to oranges comparison. 5E3's are typically point to point, different gain stage, minimal EQ on most, and no reverb.

Hopefully others with 5E3 or other Deluxe clones can chime in and be more helpful.

The Clean Channel is my favorite. Break-up starts at about 4 and is sweet.

Does that mean that it does not have a lot of headroom and therefore probably not a great choice for clean jazz tones; or is it plenty loud before breakup?

Does that mean that it does not have a lot of headroom and therefore probably not a great choice for clean jazz tones; or is it plenty loud before breakup?

The volume at 4 on a Blues Deluxe is still really loud, so for clean jazz playing at a reasonable level it is fine. My normal volume for rehersals was 2. Most gigs it was perfect at about 3. I used mine in a band situation playing RnB and it only broke up slightly when I pushed it at an outdoor football stadium gig. That's when I started using an extension speaker to get even more clean headroom and fatter bottom.

Guest HRB853370

All this talk about the Tweed Deluxe and John's sweet-ass clips got me more curious about these amps. MF doesn't sell a Fender Tweed Deluxe or a Tweed Deluxe reissue; But several years ago there was the Tweed Blues Deluxe Reissue. I've posted a current ebay ad that explains that it adds channel switching and reverb, basically. My question to those who have a real one or have had a real one is, will this "get me there?!" I also saw several ads for 5E3 clones, which I assume is the Tweed Deluxe circuit. Please don't tell me that the new PCB amp is unreliable and I really MUST have a handwired amp to get "the tone." I don't buy it. All other opinions welcome.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2eb7f9674e

Why don't you have KBP build you a Tweed Deluxe?

Thanks for the info, guys, very helpful! I didn't know if they had a different circuit/tone stack than the originals, but Gitfddler set me straight on that. They still sound interesting, as I wouldn't mind the channel switching (although the gain and "more gain" on my old HR Deville was pretty bad) and I have gotten spoiled by having reverb on all of my amps. There is a used one for sale locally, but for a good bit more than the completely auctions have come in at recently on Ebay. I really should talk to Brian (KBP810) about a build, we've joked around about it in the past. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait on a build, and that's my own character flaw (one of MANY!) AND, it would be nervewracking for me to buy an amp sight unseen (unheard?!) That said, I have the utmost respect for his craftsmanship and quality, I would just hate to get it and think "No, that's not what I had in mind..." After these next few crazy days of work, I'll put on the headphones into my Line 6 POD HD500, dial in that tone, close my eyes and pretend! haha.

Guest HRB853370

They certainly look like interesting amps Brian. So what exactly does Kuz have? One of the replica tweed amps or an original? I don't know if we ever clarified that!

They certainly look like interesting amps Brian. So what exactly does Kuz have? One of the replica tweed amps or an original? I don't know if we ever clarified that!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter; The folly comes in thinking I'm going to end up sounding as good as Kuz REGARDLESS of what I'm playing, haha. "Yeah, Yeah, THAT'S what I'm missing; a Tweed Deluxe... THEN I'll have it going ON...." RIIIGHHT......

The thing about the Tweed Deluxe is that it's a bit of a one-trick-pony... but it's a damn good trick! For me, it doesn't get much better then a cranked Tweed Deluxe... though a lower volume "clean" tweed is a very close second. ...and while I do often like to put a reverb unit in front of mine, the warm inviting "dry tone" of the 5E3 is musical enough on it's own that it really doesn't need the reverb to sound great.

Off course that's all just my opinion, different ears have different tastes.

Thanks for the info, guys, very helpful! I didn't know if they had a different circuit/tone stack than the originals, but Gitfddler set me straight on that. They still sound interesting, as I wouldn't mind the channel switching (although the gain and "more gain" on my old HR Deville was pretty bad) and I have gotten spoiled by having reverb on all of my amps. There is a used one for sale locally, but for a good bit more than the completely auctions have come in at recently on Ebay. I really should talk to Brian (KBP810) about a build, we've joked around about it in the past. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait on a build, and that's my own character flaw (one of MANY!) AND, it would be nervewracking for me to buy an amp sight unseen (unheard?!) That said, I have the utmost respect for his craftsmanship and quality, I would just hate to get it and think "No, that's not what I had in mind..." After these next few crazy days of work, I'll put on the headphones into my Line 6 POD HD500, dial in that tone, close my eyes and pretend! haha.

The 5E3 Tweed Deluxe amp is going to be one of the lowest pricepoints of the amps you can get made by Brian (KBP). Circuitry is very simple, but even at its 15 watts, its loud and has great tone. He's made a Trainwreck, a couple D Style ODS, and a few other amps. The only one he keeps is his 5E3, its his bread and butter amp. Aside from labor, the most expensive part of his amp building on the 5E3 is the cabinet and speaker (parts wise). Fender makes them, but charges upwards to $2,000 for the same amp.

The thing about the Tweed Deluxe is that it's a bit of a one-trick-pony... but it's a damn good trick! For me, it doesn't get much better then a cranked Tweed Deluxe... though a lower volume "clean" tweed is a very close second. ...and while I do often like to put a reverb unit in front of mine, the warm inviting "dry tone" of the 5E3 is musical enough on it's own that it really doesn't need the reverb to sound great.

Off course that's all just my opinion, different ears have different tastes.

Very good trick!

Guest HRB853370

The 5E3 Tweed Deluxe amp is going to be one of the lowest pricepoints of the amps you can get made by Brian (KBP). Circuitry is very simple, but even at its 15 watts, its loud and has great tone. He's made a Trainwreck, a couple D Style ODS, and a few other amps. The only one he keeps is his 5E3, its his bread and butter amp. Aside from labor, the most expensive part of his amp building on the 5E3 is the cabinet and speaker (parts wise). Fender makes them, but charges upwards to $2,000 for the same amp.

And this, coming from the official KBP Amplification Inc. spokesperson!! Thanks!!

Guest HRB853370

And this, coming from the official KBP Amplification Inc. spokesperson!! Thanks!!

I am still confused however. Kuz please speak up. He has the $2000+ handwired edition right? Shundog is talking about the $749 Blues Deluxe with a Tweed covering. Everybody seems to make it sound like if you put a Tweed covering on an amp, that gives it the shittzle. You could put a sheepskin covering on a well designed amp chassis and it would still sound as good as it it had the Tweed on it right? Or am I missing something here??

I am still confused however. Kuz please speak up. He has the $2000+ handwired edition right? Shundog is talking about the $749 Blues Deluxe with a Tweed covering. Everybody seems to make it sound like if you put a Tweed covering on an amp, that gives it the shittzle. You could put a sheepskin covering on a well designed amp chassis and it would still sound as good as it it had the Tweed on it right? Or am I missing something here??

I think a lot of people think that if you cover an amp in tweed its a tweed model design from the 50's... Couldn't be further from the truth....

It of course has nothing to do with the covering... though tweed does sure make an amp look good!

The "Tweed" name really came more so from the tweed covering commonly used for amps of that period and circuit style... hence those particular amps often get referred to as "Tweeds". There are elements to the Tweed sound that can be replicated through different circuit styles (i.e. there are popular "tweed" mods for certain black and silver face amps, and so forth)... but to me, the key to the real Tweed sound comes from the simple circuitry itself; or more so, the short signal path, limited processing, and minimal EQ loss. Those are things that cannot genuinley replicated with other, more complex amps (tweed covering or not!).

WARNING: Thread Hijack! :icon_pirat:

Are the Fender Champ series (50's - mid 80's Rivera era) considered 5e3 circuits? Or are ONLY the 50's models true 5e3 'tweed' models? :icon_scratch:

OK...BACK TO YOUR REGLUAR THREAD PROGRAMMING! :icon_salut:

It's mostly the amps of the 50's... or more so, those who circuit names start with a "5" (though many of these models were still produced in the early 60's as well)

Here is a site that has a very good collection of information on Fender amps: (follow the "Fender" link under tube amps)

http://www.cnjradio.net/

Archived