Heritage Owners Club

WOW, WOW! Pete Thorn uses Axe-FX for one of his songs

Kuz

Pete Thorn plays his song "Homage"- a song that gives respect to his mentors!!!! Another example of GREAT playing, phrasing, and technique without being flashy!!!

The song is first and then in the second half he goes over how he did it- what modeled amps, floor board switching, and technique. Listen to the whole thing!

uh, John, I'm becoming a convert.....................

What luscious sounds!

Honestly, for what we (you & me) like to do, mostly recording..... it is the perfect solution!!! I just have the plain old Axe-Fx 1 Standard, but that is all you need, in my opinion.

P-Bass, ES335, Black Tele, LP, EVH Wolfgang, Suhr Strat, and Concert size Acoustic... Nice collection of guitars....

Even though I don't have the capability to switch setting so quickly, my pocket pod will have to do. Did a studio recording on Friday, so hopefully I'll have some recordings to share whenever David is done mixing them.

Yes, a nice collection but even a better set of fingers and TONE!!!!

Come on Detroit, you have never commented about the Axe-Fx tone??!!! Open your mind and come (well at least listen) to the DARK SIDE!!!!! LOL

I think my RedPlate and my Carr may go on the auction block (I'm keeping my Heritage Lobo) - I'm just having crazy AAS about this fractal outfit. If you took one of those and paired it with a good solid state amp in a road case, added the associated foot pedal, ran it through a 15" JBL and a Leslie speaker stacked, wouldn't you just about have it all. I mean wouldn't that just about be the ultimate rig? I'm trying to stay calm.

The Luddite's $.02: Very, very impressive! I guess I might begin by learning how to navigate my cell phone, then, use my H2, maybe even buy a microwave (never have owned one). John, you're way out in front on this one! The Beck tone is just about dead on it ( finger flesh really helps). Fine demo!

fantastic. What I like about the set up, is the fact that you can sit in your parlor, in front of your computer, and dial up a vintage tweed amp, a plexi sounding amp, a modern high gain, etc... for the nominal price of admission, so much is at your fingertips, especially with the foot controller. Of course Pete Thorn is a monster and could plug his guitar into an empty cereal box and get great sounds!

John just wanted to comment on something. I remember a while back when the Axe-Fx II had just come out and a bunch of the devotees over at TGP were among the first to jump on the bandwagon. There were more than a few post of "I'm keeping my Ultra/Standard"it sounds better or just as good. I suspect many of the posts were to try an keep the prices of ultras a standards up long enough for these same guys to unload them and some money out of them. I've seen quite a few ultras and standards for sale since then, six on TGP right now...

I have an Axe-Fx 1 Standard and I am quite happy.

Do I wish or want an Axe-Fx II, yea I guess, but honestly, I can't imagine it being that much better.

I DID DO/BUY SOME SUBSTANCIAL improvements with the Axe-FX Standard

1) I got a midi interface for my laptop so I can use the free Axe-Edit software

- where you can make changes to a patch in real time and hear what they do (you can make changes to patches in real time with just the Axe-Fx but it is harder than on the laptop). The midi interface also allows sharing/downloading of firmware and hundreds of patches made by other AF users. (The new Axe-Fx II uses a USB interface so that is easier, but I have no problem now that I bought the midi interface & midi cables) ..... cost around $60

2) I bought the Red Wirez IR virtual cabs series

-This the ultimate modeling of cabs and mics (it allows for precise mic placement all over the virtual speaker/cabinets). The speakers and mics that come with the Axe-Fx are good, but MY OH MY these Red Wire IRs sound EXACTLY like the speakers/cabinets/mics of the real world. You can buy them one cabinet at time or get the whole bundle (22 mics and like 45 cabinets) for $125 http://www.redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp

These two add-ons have taken the Axe-Fx Standard to a "as good as the real thing" for me. Plus I have all my tweaking & patches done and I haven't scratched the surface.

I presets for Dumble, Vox, Matchless, Marshall, Fender Twin, Fender Tweed, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Mesa MarkIIC, ect...

So maybe in a year or two, but for now I am LOVING me some Axe-Fx I Standard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the HOC 2 clip I did with the Mesa MarkIIC........

Hey

P-Bass, ES335, Black Tele, LP, EVH Wolfgang, Suhr Strat, and Concert size Acoustic... Nice collection of guitars....

Even though I don't have the capability to switch setting so quickly, my pocket pod will have to do. Did a studio recording on Friday, so hopefully I'll have some recordings to share whenever David is done mixing them.

Hey DB.... don't sweat it man. Those Pods are capable of some seriously sweet tones. I have literally owned every generation until the HD ones. I had to sell my X3 and haven't been able to swing an HD for the reasons I am sure enough of you are aware of. If I had the money, I would have one just for recording. As much as I'd like an Axe-FX, I can justify to the wifey a Pod a LOT faster than an Axe-FX... used or not! haha. ...and she is WAY cool about the equipment thing.

I have an Axe-Fx 1 Standard and I am quite happy.

Do I wish or want an Axe-Fx II, yea I guess, but honestly, I can't imagine it being that much better.

I DID DO/BUY SOME SUBSTANCIAL improvements with the Axe-FX Standard

1) I got a midi interface for my laptop so I can use the free Axe-Edit software

- where you can make changes to a patch in real time and hear what they do (you can make changes to patches in real time with just the Axe-Fx but it is harder than on the laptop). The midi interface also allows sharing/downloading of firmware and hundreds of patches made by other AF users. (The new Axe-Fx II uses a USB interface so that is easier, but I have no problem now that I bought the midi interface & midi cables) ..... cost around $60

2) I bought the Red Wirez IR virtual cabs series

-This the ultimate modeling of cabs and mics (it allows for precise mic placement all over the virtual speaker/cabinets). The speakers and mics that come with the Axe-Fx are good, but MY OH MY these Red Wire IRs sound EXACTLY like the speakers/cabinets/mics of the real world. You can buy them one cabinet at time or get the whole bundle (22 mics and like 45 cabinets) for $125 http://www.redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp

These two add-ons have taken the Axe-Fx Standard to a "as good as the real thing" for me. Plus I have all my tweaking & patches done and I haven't scratched the surface.

I presets for Dumble, Vox, Matchless, Marshall, Fender Twin, Fender Tweed, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Mesa MarkIIC, ect...

So maybe in a year or two, but for now I am LOVING me some Axe-Fx I Standard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the HOC 2 clip I did with the Mesa MarkIIC........ http://soundcloud.com/jjkuz/hoc-2

For what it is worth, man, I have heard several people who upgraded and they are all asking what they did that for. haha. Apparently, there isn't a huge difference. The sounds are the same. Just processor speed and what not is the biggest deal.

Yes, a nice collection but even a better set of fingers and TONE!!!!

Come on Detroit, you have never commented about the Axe-Fx tone??!!! Open your mind and come (well at least listen) to the DARK SIDE!!!!! LOL

It sounded great, but for the cost, it better make you sound like Hendrix reborn... I'm a thrifty kind of guy (as some may have noticed), but spending $3,000 for a multi-effects rack mount unit and controllable footswitch? Unless you're a professional recording or touring artist, its insane. Tone or no tone, its not going to work for me.

It sounded great, but for the cost, it better make you sound like Hendrix reborn... I'm a thrifty kind of guy (as some may have noticed), but spending $3,000 for a multi-effects rack mount unit and controllable footswitch? Unless you're a professional recording or touring artist, its insane. Tone or no tone, its not going to work for me.

That's if you get it through them. You'd probably be looking at half that used. ...I know it doesn't make it look enough prettier... but it is prettier.

I got $1700 in mine with all the extra goodies, I am not a touring artist, so I guess I am insane? LOL

I can understand your take on it DB, and it doesn't make sense to everyone, but I know guys that spend $20,000 on a classic car and never take it out of the garage except on summer Sundays. If the guy enjoys it, more power to him. I don't see a thing wrong with it.

uh, John, I'm becoming a convert.....................

What luscious sounds!

Me too..Outstanding!! what a player as well!!

If money were no object and this thing was more live friendly, I too would be all over it.

If only for recording, I'd probalby just go with a software sim like Overloud or something. Very nice sounding.

Live, It'd probably be a Line6 HD500 into a Tech21 Power Engine 60. Under a G and you'd need little more.

Archived