Heritage Owners Club

This one goes to 11....

schundog

I've had 3 different Boss Multi-Effects pedals. The GT-3, the GT-6, and the GT-8. I got them all stupid cheap used, and had fun with them. I've since gone the Line 6 route, and have both the Line 6 Pod XT Live and the Line 6 HD500. I know not everybody (OK, almost NOBODY, haha) likes the idea of these modellers, but to each his own. Like I've said before, I'm don't use them all the time, or even the majority of the time, but, as stated above, they can be fun to play with.

Well, Boss has decided it's done fooling around with going up 2 digits every time it introduces a new multieffect; The had been going GT-3, GT-5, GT-6, GT-8, and GT-10; Behold the newest, latest greatest, the GT-100! I guess time will tell if it's 10 times better.....

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/BOSS_Introduces_the_New_GT_100_Amp_Effects_Processor.aspx

I have tried, but I can't use multi effects, at least not live. Even when I come up with presets if I need to change something on the fly then the whole thing is useless to me for the rest of the show.

Maybe I am technology challenged.

two friends of mine just picked up Boss GT something-or-other multi FX & love them

I have to say, they are convenient

but when we jam I think the sounds are anemic, compared to my old POS tube amp....which I just plug directly into....I'd rather have 1 great sounding amp than 50,000 crappy sounds, and a million buttons, patches, and switches to remember...and then forget/screw up/scramble to adjust on the fly

I use the vol + tone controls on the gtr + amp to achieve different sounds....works for me but I'm probably in the minority

I tend to be a one tone kinda guy. There is where the modellers fall down with me functionally. There are just tons, and tons.... and tons of sounds in there and I won't use but maybe 2 of them.

For all of the headache, it just makes sense for me to have amps. The lugging around is a pain, sure, but having to come up with a rig to amplify that modeller with a hundred tones that I use two of...well.... I could just own a couple of amps cheaper. Even my cube with its, what, 8 amps have about 6 amps I don't use. I have used them for seeing what they sound like but then I just settled on the JC and 5150 settings.

Man I miss that 5150. Said it before, I stand behind selling it as I really needed to... but man that was a BEASTLY high gain amp.

Who knows, maybe one day a Peavey 3120 will be in my small stable. :D

Guest HRB853370

I have tried, but I can't use multi effects, at least not live. Even when I come up with presets if I need to change something on the fly then the whole thing is useless to me for the rest of the show.

Maybe I am technology challenged.

two friends of mine just picked up Boss GT something-or-other multi FX & love them

I have to say, they are convenient

but when we jam I think the sounds are anemic, compared to my old POS tube amp....which I just plug directly into....I'd rather have 1 great sounding amp than 50,000 crappy sounds, and a million buttons, patches, and switches to remember...and then forget/screw up/scramble to adjust on the fly

I use the vol + tone controls on the gtr + amp to achieve different sounds....works for me but I'm probably in the minority

I tend to be a one tone kinda guy. There is where the modellers fall down with me functionally. There are just tons, and tons.... and tons of sounds in there and I won't use but maybe 2 of them.

For all of the headache, it just makes sense for me to have amps. The lugging around is a pain, sure, but having to come up with a rig to amplify that modeller with a hundred tones that I use two of...well.... I could just own a couple of amps cheaper. Even my cube with its, what, 8 amps have about 6 amps I don't use. I have used them for seeing what they sound like but then I just settled on the JC and 5150 settings.

Man I miss that 5150. Said it before, I stand behind selling it as I really needed to... but man that was a BEASTLY high gain amp.

Who knows, maybe one day a Peavey 3120 will be in my small stable. :D

+3 on the above. I had an ME30 and it was a PITA so I ditched it as I would much rather have a ball dialing tone combinations from my tube amps. For FX, I like the simplicity of having just 5 boxes arranged in a row on a board. And I am especially enjoying the new Boss Combo Drive!

+3 on the above. I had an ME30 and it was a PITA so I ditched it as I would much rather have a ball dialing tone combinations from my tube amps. For FX, I like the simplicity of having just 5 boxes arranged in a row on a board. And I am especially enjoying the new Boss Combo Drive!

But to add... my Cube does have that sound and reaction to my playing. I love the idea of modellers... and if they can do the sound... I don't mind having all the extra crap in there... I just don't use them. :D

I think the thing about my 5150 that really got me was just the way the speakers reacted to the amp. The way it moved air different than say a Marshall or something. I don't know how they did it, or if it was a mistake, but the Cube does that very thing.

They always demo heavy od'd tunes on those things. Why? Because it's easier. Not easier to play. Just easier to have an overdriven sound than something unique in a clean sound. My $0.02US deflated currency worth.

I had the GT5. Loved it. Turned off all the sims and used just the effects boxes built in. I had two banks of 5 set up. And once I gott used to the buttons, switching was no issue. My biggest complaint was that it was all you had. No way to enjoy new toys on the pedal board. Still, I'd like the chance to try one of the GT100's for a while. Just to see what I could make it do for me.

They always demo heavy od'd tunes on those things. Why? Because it's easier. Not easier to play. Just easier to have an overdriven sound than something unique in a clean sound. My $0.02US deflated currency worth.

I had the GT5. Loved it. Turned off all the sims and used just the effects boxes built in. I had two banks of 5 set up. And once I gott used to the buttons, switching was no issue. My biggest complaint was that it was all you had. No way to enjoy new toys on the pedal board. Still, I'd like the chance to try one of the GT100's for a while. Just to see what I could make it do for me.

Really?! Man, I have found it to be more difficult. Reason being is I like high gain with a great deal of clarity and THAT is a toughy. In modellers I have found they tend to compensate the lack of actual moving air with gain in the signal and that just muds things up. Case in point, where most metal guitarists wound out their gain, I had the lead channel of my 5150 on maybe 3 to 4 on the pre-gain and just pushed air. You could actually hear the notes in my chords. In a modeller, that has always been PAINFULLY difficult for me to acheive.

If the A/B channel functionalilty extends to the L/R outputs where I can send it to the FX-loop stereo return of, say, a JC120, then I could assign a nastier gain through one speaker and a clean through the other just for note definition.

That would be a fun set up for sure.

If I were a gigging musician and had to run through SEVERAL styles in not only a gig but a week, then I can see going with the GT-100 into a JC120 and using the Fender/Roland VG strat. In those gigs you only have to sound good. You aren't impressing gear nerds. ;)

Archived