Heritage Owners Club

For all you modeller guys...someone IS listening! Powered cab-age. hmmmm

barrymclark

I looked at their web site and couldn't find it. Got a URL? or a model number?

It isn't on their site as of yet. It was just revealed at NAMM. I'd give it a few.

The model is 700DP. They say this is the first in their offeriongs. I'd assume then that there will be smaller ones coming down the pike. This is not a guitar voiced box though. This is a personal PA. I take that to mean that you can use it for bass too. Just have to wait and see.

Very interesting though. Seems a lot of folks are including at least some modeling aspects in their product lines now. Probably the wave of the future, though I don't think folks will just abandon their tube amps any time soon. Thanks for the post, I will watch for the product.

Talked to a guy from Jet City and they said it will be a couple of months before it is up and available for sale as it is slated for the 2nd quarter.

He did tell me he expects it to MSRP at $899 or maybe even less. With that... I'd figure this to retail for $650 or so based on how other Jet City products are priced.

Problem is, the only other manufacturer in this game is Atomic Amps and theirs is smaller, tube powered and costs $800 and not in stores.

So... that could mean the Jet City may go for something closer to $700 since they don't really have much in the way of in-store competition and no competition with this many speakers and this much power.

I'm currently thinking about using the Matrix GT800FX amp into a pair of JBL JRX115 speakers. 250 Watts per side.

Yeah. The beauty of this thing is that it is 350w per side and has a classic guitar cab look. They say this is just the flagship of the full line coming. I assume that to mean there will be smaller.

That and it will be cheaper. :D

Jet City is making a 700w, digital power, full-range, stereo cab for modellers.... and it looks like a normal guitar cab!

Will be interesting to see what she can do!

406422_10150538719667529_101733997528_9395455_1303893996_n.jpg

When you say modelers, do you mean something like Axe-FX?

Precisely. AxeFX, Line 6 HD. etc. The key to modelers is that they were first designed for recording. Plug it in to the board, and simulate all the equipment that you DON'T have. To sound their best, you need a full range speaker system, which ends up being a PA type system.

Plugging a modeler into something like a Fender or Marshall would be like using an amp, then micing it up into another guitar amp.

Precisely as TalismanRich stated. Definitely the Axe-FX, Line6, Roland, etc.

The two heavy hitters in direct modeling are, of course, the Fractal AxeFX and and the Line6 Pod HD. Depending on the fanboy, POD HD sounds like garbage and the Axe-Fx sounds like garbage in a seashell. haha. Fact of the matter is, this level of modelling is just spectacular. The difference between say the Fractal model of an amp and Line6 model of the same amp is really a taste thing. The difference is about like two different instances of the same model amp being modeled! haha.

Just gotta plug em up and see which one works best for you. From what I have experienced, seen or heard, the Axe-Fx and HD500 are not terribly user friendly but EASILY the most powerful. Lower models of the Line6 HD floorboards are much, much more user friendly.

If you ask me, the honest difference between the Fractal Axe-Fx and the Line6 HD500 is, while the Line6 is substantially cheaper, Fractal was the first into this part of the game and have a few things nailed down where as Line6 is playing catch up. Furthermore, Line6's customer service is good... but Fractal's is stellar and not as faceless feeling as Line6's. I will say, though, that the one time I needed something from Line6 (in more than a decade of use) they got me the part I needed PROMPTLY. So.... take what I say for what it is worth. Fractal's customer service has a warm fuzzy feeling to it.

FURTHERMORE... this is all Fractal does: The Axe-Fx. Line6 has Pods, Pod Farm, DT series amps, Spider amps, effects modellers, guitars, live sound, wireless systems.....

Guest HRB853370

Precisely as TalismanRich stated. Definitely the Axe-FX, Line6, Roland, etc.

The two heavy hitters in direct modeling are, of course, the Fractal AxeFX and and the Line6 Pod HD. Depending on the fanboy, POD HD sounds like garbage and the Axe-Fx sounds like garbage in a seashell. haha. Fact of the matter is, this level of modelling is just spectacular. The difference between say the Fractal model of an amp and Line6 model of the same amp is really a taste thing. The difference is about like two different instances of the same model amp being modeled! haha.

Just gotta plug em up and see which one works best for you. From what I have experienced, seen or heard, the Axe-Fx and HD500 are not terribly user friendly but EASILY the most powerful. Lower models of the Line6 HD floorboards are much, much more user friendly.

If you ask me, the honest difference between the Fractal Axe-Fx and the Line6 HD500 is, while the Line6 is substantially cheaper, Fractal was the first into this part of the game and have a few things nailed down where as Line6 is playing catch up. Furthermore, Line6's customer service is good... but Fractal's is stellar and not as faceless feeling as Line6's. I will say, though, that the one time I needed something from Line6 (in more than a decade of use) they got me the part I needed PROMPTLY. So.... take what I say for what it is worth. Fractal's customer service has a warm fuzzy feeling to it.

FURTHERMORE... this is all Fractal does: The Axe-Fx. Line6 has Pods, Pod Farm, DT series amps, Spider amps, effects modellers, guitars, live sound, wireless systems.....

UGH, more shit to learn, why can't people just play music like they used to..............bet its not made in the USA either!

UGH, more shit to learn, why can't people just play music like they used to..............bet its not made in the USA either!

gotta remember that old school was once new school and it had just as hard a time getting accepted. ;)

Fractal Audio makes their Axe-FX in New Hampshire, USA my friend. Same with their sister company, Atomic Amps are made in CT....unless something has changed.

Everything else, you are right. Question is, can you get this made in the US? For the powered cab, no. It is by itself. I am sure Atomic Amps will respond. After all, they just got cut out of their own game and by a company known for their reliability and affordability. Atomic has their work cut out for them.

...and there is actually an amp that sort of bridges the gap between a basic one to three trick pony amps and modelers. It is the Trademark amp by Tech 21. All made in the USA and they are much more like a standard two channel amp.

It can do wonderful things from Fender to Mesa. Very affordable.

I'm sorry 'barryclark' but I just feel a need to put my own .02 cents in here. With all these comparisons of "modelers" going on in this thread I have to say I haven't heard a single truth yet. All I've heard is conjecture from those who have yet to sit down and really spend ANY quality time with any of the "high end" modelers (there's really only one).

To speak of the Axe-Fx in the same sentence as units such as the L6 junk or the ever so lowly Roland Cube units is just sheer nonsense. There is a reason so many MAJOR artists are incorporating the Axe-Fx into their rigs. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I saw a Cube being used on stage.

Let's stop comparing Rolls-Royce's to skate boards and stick to the facts here. The Cube IMO is an entry level amp. As a matter of fact after less then a month with the Cube 80 XL I sent it down to TN to my 11 yr old grand-daughter who is just beginning to learn guitar. For her it's a chance to learn, for me it was an absolute joke. I'm not saying it's as bad as some of the amps out there but let's be real here, how 'great' can a sub $400 chinese made amp be?

Compare that to the most advanced ground breaking technology (Axe-Fx) to happen in the realm of guitars since the electric pickup and I think the Cube quite simply pales by comparison. And as for L6 their not all bad, I use one of their wireless units for my guitar, but as for their modelers I have to again refer to the Rolls-skateboard analogy.

By the way there are several of those FRFR guitar cabs on the market already but none of them seem to be doing very well.

Myself if I want to run a stereo rig I want the FRFR cabs to be separate so there is some real stereo separation between the cabs.

I think there maybe two or three top units not just the axfx. A few are trading their axfx for the Kemper. Different applications but similar results.

If line6 could be directly compared to the axfx then I would have no interest in the axefx what so ever.

I'm sorry 'barryclark' but I just feel a need to put my own .02 cents in here. With all these comparisons of "modelers" going on in this thread I have to say I haven't heard a single truth yet. All I've heard is conjecture from those who have yet to sit down and really spend ANY quality time with any of the "high end" modelers (there's really only one).

To speak of the Axe-Fx in the same sentence as units such as the L6 junk or the ever so lowly Roland Cube units is just sheer nonsense. There is a reason so many MAJOR artists are incorporating the Axe-Fx into their rigs. I can't remember the last time (if ever) I saw a Cube being used on stage.

Let's stop comparing Rolls-Royce's to skate boards and stick to the facts here. The Cube IMO is an entry level amp. As a matter of fact after less then a month with the Cube 80 XL I sent it down to TN to my 11 yr old grand-daughter who is just beginning to learn guitar. For her it's a chance to learn, for me it was an absolute joke. I'm not saying it's as bad as some of the amps out there but let's be real here, how 'great' can a sub $400 chinese made amp be?

Compare that to the most advanced ground breaking technology (Axe-Fx) to happen in the realm of guitars since the electric pickup and I think the Cube quite simply pales by comparison. And as for L6 their not all bad, I use one of their wireless units for my guitar, but as for their modelers I have to again refer to the Rolls-skateboard analogy.

Wow! That sure was condescending. Have you done an A/B comparison with the POD HD 500 against thy hallowed Axe-Fx?! That is a serious question. I have not done it, but I DO have a Line 6 POD HD500, and, to me, it's a major improvement over the older Line 6 POD XT LIve that I have. One thing I like about them, in addition to being about 1/3 the price of your unit, is that they are floor based, like a pedalboard.

Just for the record, most of us try to be a tad bit less combative around here. It seems to work well. Cheers!

Wow! That sure was condescending. Have you done an A/B comparison with the POD HD 500 against thy hallowed Axe-Fx?! That is a serious question. I have not done it, but I DO have a Line 6 POD HD500, and, to me, it's a major improvement over the older Line 6 POD XT LIve that I have. One thing I like about them, in addition to being about 1/3 the price of your unit, is that they are floor based, like a pedalboard.

Just for the record, most of us try to be a tad bit less combative around here. It seems to work well. Cheers!

Nah, don't worry about it. Those posts make me smile. You've heard what my 'skateboard' can do. ;)

Not sure what to make of the tone of this post, so I won't address that.

You must not be terribly familiar with my posts. If you were, you would know that I have a bit of a different approach to gear in general than your average joe.

Have I personally used and compared the abilities of an Axe-Fx, HD500 and Cube? No. Does that mean I haven't had any prolonged contact with them over a number of years to get an idea of what it possible at their best and worst? No. I actually have. I am well aware that the Axe-Fx is considered king. For most of what the buyer's of that item get it for, it fills the bill more so than the HD500. That being functionality and it sounded worlds more 'life like' than the POD X3. I know... because I had one as well as every POD generation previous. My time with dealing with people using the HD500 has been notably shorter for obvious reasons... it hasn't been around as long. In both cases, I have heard people get wonderful tones... and just crap.

I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a better sounding amp, one size fits all. Experience has taught me that. There have been amps like the 5150 which people have had a lot of success with and so did I. Then there are Mesa amps. People have had a lot of success with those... and I can't get a good tone out of one of those to save my life. It doesn't agree with the way I play. I had a Fender Deville... and it was pretty good. I didn't as good a tone as some on it... but that was me.. not the amp. I gave that up for the Vox I had. It agreed with me more. Then...I played a Cube. I sold the Vox. It just agreed with me more. It agreed with me the way a Gibson GA40RVT does or a Roland JC120.

I don't care what the brand is. I either sound good through it... or I don't.

I have heard folks with Rolls Royce gear sound amazing...and awful. I have heard people on cheap gear sound awful... and amazing. So I stopped caring about what the brand is... or what it costs. The only thing I do before I buy is hit up a couple of amp techs I know about their reliabiliity. That is it.

As for the FRFR statement, I never said this was the only FRFR. I said this is the only one that looks like a guitar cab and is stereo. At least... I have never seen another... and I have been looking. Not that own a modeller that I could use with it. I rather like my 'skateboard'.

I think there maybe two or three top units not just the axfx. A few are trading their axfx for the Kemper. Different applications but similar results.

If line6 could be directly compared to the axfx then I would have no interest in the axefx what so ever.

due to reduced functionality of the HD500, I'd say you can't directly compare. Tone wise, I heard some impressive stuff from both. I guess the question is does the HD500 cover the ground you need. If not I am sure the Axe-FX does.

I'm with you Barry, not worth arguing about, some work for some folks, others work for other folks. As you know I'm working towards the Axe FxII. The finances are healthy right now, and wife thinks I'm silly but contines to smile when she says it. I'm spending my time now doing the research so I avoid doing something stupid. May take awhile. I guess I'm looking for that one thing that pushes me over the edge.

Archived