Heritage Owners Club

NOAD (NEW OLD AMP DAY)

schundog

I play electric guitar 1-2 times a month at my church. For the last couple of years, the overbearing, micro-managing band leader has insisted that I play through a Line 6 Floor POD Plus through a direct box into the PA, on the settings that HE only has created. Whatever. It works, but I think he's got a bit of a Hitler thing going on, haha. He's been over to my house to jam regular classic rock/country/blues stuff, so he knows I have a small collection of amps. He asked me out of the blue a few weeks ago if I could bring a "small" amp to practice. I said yes, and brought my Fender Blues Junior. I still played through the Floor POD, but EVERYONE thought I sounded better with a real amp Mic-ed up than straight to the board. The director then asked if I had an amp to spare somewhat permanently. Caught off-guard, I said yes, but every amp I own has tubes....My concern is, when I'm not on for the week, will whoever IS on remember to turn off my tube amp, and do I REALLY want to just leave one of my amps there full-time?! The hunt began for a dependable 12" speaker SS Combo.

So, today, I went pawn-shopping to look for a solid state alternative. I was hoping to find a gently used Peavey Bandit or something like it. (a mic-ed Bandit has worked GREAT for this application before, but I sold it to get something; can't remember what! haha). No reasonable Bandits in sight, but I had seen this slightly abused Line 6 Spider at Monster when I sold my Gibson Les Paul recently. No price on it, so I called and asked. They yutzed around, and shot me a price of $125. No thanks.

These digital amps are advancing all the time, and getting cheaper, so since this "red-face" model is one of the earlier generations, I didn't see spending that on it. I went in today, and the kid that looks like Buddy Holly at my pawn shop said "You don't want this thing; you can't even get a good sound out of it; Tommy tried the other day, and had, like, flanger/distortion going, and couldn't get a good sound..." nearly talked me out of it. Well, duh, less is more on any modeller, so I played around with it, and felt it would fit my "every couple of weeks" needs just fine, and started the negotiation process. They paid $50, so I agreed to $70, and everyone was happy. I'll play with it for the next couple weeks when I am on the schedule, retrieve my Blues Junior, and replace it with this jem. It DID sound pretty damn good tonight with the new 150, but I'd be lying if I said it had the same tone and harmonics as the real tube amps I blasted most of the night. But hey, it's probably 8-10 years old, and these things HAVE gotten much better at emulating the real thing. I just need this thing as a platform to ampify a clean channel to get ampified for now. Heck, if it saves one set of tubes from somebody forgetting to shut off my Blues Junior one week, it's been worth it.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/schundog/oldampheads061.jpg[/img]"]https://oldampheads061.jpg

oldampheads062.jpg

Good find and an even better idea not leaving your other amp!Every time I`ve ever loaned out an amp it`s had something happen to it,I wouldn`t let anyone borrow one again if I`m not present.

You need to to find a new band leader n`all,he sounds like a right pratt!

Guest HRB853370

Don't EVER loan out your good gear, EVER. And yes the Peavey Bandit is a workhorse and sounds pretty darn good for a SS amp. Mine is one from the late 90's.

It's not like I left a Dumble there, it's just a modded Blues Junior, but when I want to play it, I don't want to have to go get it, and I can seriously see somebody else using it and forgetting to turn it off, thereby seriously reducing the life of the tubes. This little Spider should do just fine there, and if somebody forgets to shut it off, no big deal.

Cool deal! I actually had one of the early Spiders that I got for free as it was damaged but it was something I could repair. It was one of the 2x12 ones. I had more success with that amp than I had EVER had with their nicer models with more bells and whistles.

Why wouldn't the church simply buy their own amp? :icon_scratch:

I was thinking the same thing. I see so many churches around here that are selling all sorts of gear that is expensive and almost new because they lost the need for it.....

Back to the amp, Line 6 has always been the best modeling amp for years... I rather think the new Mustang Series might give them a run for the money considering the price point....

It's not like I left a Dumble there, it's just a modded Blues Junior, but when I want to play it, I don't want to have to go get it, and I can seriously see somebody else using it and forgetting to turn it off, thereby seriously reducing the life of the tubes. This little Spider should do just fine there, and if somebody forgets to shut it off, no big deal.

why not stick a little note on it that says "Please turn off after using?..Oh you got another amp, never mind...:) )

Why wouldn't the church simply buy their own amp? :icon_scratch:

Good question. Wherever I've been, though, the drums, keys, even Bass guitar have always been provided for the musicians on the team, but the guitarists need all their own stuff. The main guitarist there just leaved his 4X10 Fender Hot Rod Deville there, backstage, in an isolation cabinet, and mics it up. The leader has my amp back there, too, with a mic on it, hooked up to a 20 foot instrument cable. That's why it would be easy to forget to turn off after the service; it's not sitting right by your guitar like you would normally play, it's backstage. Anyway, this cheap SS Spider should solve the issue.

Archived