Heritage Owners Club

Pedalboard power supply advice please

tsp17

There are plenty of options, but i've got a Morely wah that needs 300ma. not that many power supplies offer an output at that level. Pedal Pad and T-Rex get there, but i also hear that you can use a current doubler cable to combine two outputs in parallel to get 300ma. that would give me more options that fit under a pedaltrain and have an extra AC outlet (handy to have).

what are you guys using?

going to be mounted under a Pedaltrain Jr. or PT-2. I only use 4 or 5 pedals at the moment. thanks.

I have 2 T-rex jr's. and love them. I have used them in many many gigs and knocked them around in the back of a truck too many times to count and once spilled coffee on one and never had any problems. They cost $99 each and will supply 5, 9 volt pedals or you can double for 18 with the cords supplied in the box, can't go wrong. I have 2 because I started adding to my board after I swore that I would never go more than the 5 power sources I had in the 1 t-rex but I just could not resist the fun and allure of new pedals so I needed more power.

I have 2 T-rex jr's. and love them. I have used them in many many gigs and knocked them around in the back of a truck too many times to count and once spilled coffee on one and never had any problems. They cost $99 each and will supply 5, 9 volt pedals or you can double for 18 with the cords supplied in the box, can't go wrong. I have 2 because I started adding to my board after I swore that I would never go more than the 5 power sources I had in the 1 t-rex but I just could not resist the fun and allure of new pedals so I needed more power.

I have a fuel tank jnr and the orig blue fuel tank but I just use the jnr. It works.

For the record, the Bad Horsie II, as well as all the other pedals from morley, say to use the 9V 300mA morley adapter. I don't think they need anywhere near that much. If you look at the specs on the website, they tell you the ACTUAL current draw from the pedal.

For the bad horsie, the current draw is 12mA @9V DC.

For the bad horsie II, the current draw is 16mA @9V DC.

http://www.morleypedals.com/downloads.html

If a pedal can be powered by a 9V battery, it is almost always well under 100mA in current draw. 9V batteries have around 500mAh in capacity. If you had 300 mA drawn from that it would barely last 2 hours..

I've been using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power for 10+ years now without a single problem.

+1.. been using mine for a couple of years..no problems..runs about six different pedals and I still have room to expand..

For the record, the Bad Horsie II, as well as all the other pedals from morley, say to use the 9V 300mA morley adapter. I don't think they need anywhere near that much. If you look at the specs on the website, they tell you the ACTUAL current draw from the pedal. For the bad horsie, the current draw is 12mA @9V DC. For the bad horsie II, the current draw is 16mA @9V DC. http://www.morleypedals.com/downloads.html If a pedal can be powered by a 9V battery, it is almost always well under 100mA in current draw. 9V batteries have around 500mAh in capacity. If you had 300 mA drawn from that it would barely last 2 hours..

thanks.

the Voodoo Lab pedal power has a 250 ma output. i'll give that a shot and see if it is enough.

Current doubling cable works fine? No issues using 2 150ma to generate 300ma?

You also double the voltage when you do that. You need 300ma from a nine volt source, not an 18 volt source. If it's not rated for 18 volts don't do the doubling thing you'll fry it.

I use a Gatur G-Bus because it's really small, works and came with a pedal board I bought, but if I had to buy a new one I would buy a Pedal power 2+ or a T-Rex.

For the record, the Bad Horsie II, as well as all the other pedals from morley, say to use the 9V 300mA morley adapter. I don't think they need anywhere near that much. If you look at the specs on the website, they tell you the ACTUAL current draw from the pedal.

For the bad horsie, the current draw is 12mA @9V DC.

For the bad horsie II, the current draw is 16mA @9V DC.

http://www.morleyped.../downloads.html

If a pedal can be powered by a 9V battery, it is almost always well under 100mA in current draw. 9V batteries have around 500mAh in capacity. If you had 300 mA drawn from that it would barely last 2 hours..

Good info, I think any decent power supply would get him there. Doubling cables double the amperage, but they also double the voltage. How is it that my uneducated, drunk, redneck ass was the first to spot the flaw in that plan?

http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/tparzen/?action=view&current=IMG_0726.jpg

my first pedalboard (Pedaltrain JR), next to a supermodel of course! my 150 LW VSB and the new Plush Valve Job are already going steady and making beautiful music together. they stayed up way too late last night getting their groove on.

the 250 ma output seems to drive the Morely Bad Horsie 2 Wah ok. thanks for the tip. I might get a current doubler just to see if it make any difference A/B. I hear that if you run the doubling in parallel, it does not double the voltage. voodoo lab and t-rex both make a cable just for this purpose.

i did ok for a not so handy first timer, but i did make one mistake mounting the power brick. the AC input and courtesy AC outlet are not quite centered on the brick to line up with the holes in the front panel of the pedaltrain. so if you center the brick, it wont line up. had to undo the whole mounting, drill new holes and re-mount, but no real damage done. the first set of holes are not even visible since the mounting bracket covers my error.

The Pedaltrain is a quality product to be sure. Solid, light, easy to work with, flexible. Very well thought out product.

I'm just getting started with pedals and would appreciate your recommendations to add to this board. my band is branching out to fusion/jazz-rock. very happy with these three (and a Boss Blues Driver-not yet on the board- i'll use it as a back up to the Plush Valve Job). PAS is as bad as GAS!

http://s1193.photobu...nt=IMG_0726.jpg

my first pedalboard (Pedaltrain JR), next to a supermodel of course! my 150 LW VSB and the new Plush Valve Job are already going steady and making beautiful music together. they stayed up way too late last night getting their groove on.

the 250 ma output seems to drive the Morely Bad Horsie 2 Wah ok. thanks for the tip. I might get a current doubler just to see if it make any difference A/B. I hear that if you run the doubling in parallel, it does not double the voltage. voodoo lab and t-rex both make a cable just for this purpose.

Makes sense, most of the doubling cables I've seen are sold so you can power an 18volt pedal from a 9volt supply. I was afraid if you weren't sure about what you are doing you were headed down a bad road! I still don't think you need it though, I've seen lots of Morley wahs run off standard power supplies like the Pedal Power and T-Rex without any doubler, and also pedals that probably have a higher actual current draw than the wah. Also, Tully said he uses the Fuel Tank Jr. and if I remember right I think he uses a bad horsie.

I was afraid if you weren't sure about what you are doing you were headed down a bad road!

You were right about that! Thanks for the heads up. It takes a village to build the village idiot's pedalboard. I am not an electronics guy at all so i appreciate the help very much.

Oh nice board too, it's got a lot of empty space though!

Thanks, suggestions for things to check out that will enhance my tone variability for fusion/jazz-rock are welcome. i need to fill up that board.

Especially since we are a quartet, and when i am soloing, it is just me and the bass and drums. lots of space, which is good, but maybe some chorus, or whatever else you guys think i should try to bring more texture. i play octaves a lot so i don't need an octave pedal and my amp has a very nice reverb. I've been using the wah to funkify and for ambient modal songs, along with some drive. was using the BD-2 but now i am digging the Plush Valve Job.

i just A/B'd the BH2 with the Pedal Power 2+ at 250ma and the Morely 300ma 9v wall wart. maybe it is just in my head, but it definitely seemed fuller and richer at 300. like i said, maybe it is in my head, but i am pretty sure i heard a distinct difference. sounded like powering it at 250 was thinner.

Thanks, suggestions for things to check out that will enhance my tone variability for fusion/jazz-rock are welcome. i need to fill up that board.

Especially since we are a quartet, and when i am soloing, it is just me and the bass and drums. lots of space, which is good, but maybe some chorus, or whatever else you guys think i should try to bring more texture. i play octaves a lot so i don't need an octave pedal and my amp has a very nice reverb. I've been using the wah to funkify and for ambient modal songs, along with some drive. was using the BD-2 but now i am digging the Plush Valve Job.

One of the things I like to have is a nice responsive od to use just to add a little bit to my sound I use an OCD for that but there are a lot of pedals that will fit the bill just depends on your personal taste. Cmat Mods Butah, Cochrane's Timmy, Catilinbread Dirty Little Secret, Lovepedals Eternity and Kalamazoo are all in the same vein just diffrent textures.

Also I tend to use chorus on slow songs when I am fingerpicking or playing arpeggios, to help fill out the sound.

I also use a clean boost pedal just for a bump for solos but I will also use the OCD for that if I am playing on one of the other drives or playing strictly clean. Delay is a very usable effect that kind find a place in all types of music. I use an I banez Tone Lok but there are better delays at reasonable prices like the Carbon Copy.

A lot of this is just my personal taste so these are just ideas, in the end you will have to find out what fits your style and taste. Me personally I could get by without most of the stuff but I do really like to have a few diffrent OD/distortion sounds when playing live.

If you have a really smooth,low gain, amp like OD to use just to add a little dynamic and harmonics to your playing the crowd won't know you are using it, and then kick in the medium gain pedal and they know instantly something different is coming, then a high gain and you've really got their attention.

One of the things I like to have is a nice responsive od to use just to add a little bit to my sound I use an OCD for that but there are a lot of pedals that will fit the bill just depends on your personal taste. Cmat Mods Butah, Cochrane's Timmy, Catilinbread Dirty Little Secret, Lovepedals Eternity and Kalamazoo are all in the same vein just diffrent textures.

Also I tend to use chorus on slow songs when I am fingerpicking or playing arpeggios, to help fill out the sound.

I also use a clean boost pedal just for a bump for solos but I will also use the OCD for that if I am playing on one of the other drives or playing strictly clean. Delay is a very usable effect that kind find a place in all types of music. I use an I banez Tone Lok but there are better delays at reasonable prices like the Carbon Copy.

A lot of this is just my personal taste so these are just ideas, in the end you will have to find out what fits your style and taste. Me personally I could get by without most of the stuff but I do really like to have a few diffrent OD/distortion sounds when playing live.

If you have a really smooth,low gain, amp like OD to use just to add a little dynamic and harmonics to your playing the crowd won't know you are using it, and then kick in the medium gain pedal and they know instantly something different is coming, then a high gain and you've really got their attention.

excellent. thanks for the ideas. I do have a Boss BD-2 that I can use as a second OD on top of the Plush. i'll check out some delay and chorus pedals to fill out the sound.

Archived