Heritage Owners Club

Traynor Amps?

they also made a YBA2 that came with either 6V6's or EL84's, in a head. great sounding little 20w amp

lately I've been leaning towards 6V6's in small amps & EL34's in bigger amps.

I have a YBA1 from 1967 loaded with EL34's that certainly gives my '72 Hiwatt a run for it's money

you can find these amps for <$500 all day long.....huge cleans & take pedals very well

...lately I've been leaning towards 6V6's in small amps & EL34's in bigger amps...

I hear ya.

I've been on a 6V6 (need for tweed) binge the last few years: getting smaller and smaller! My 5E3 tweed deluxe clone even was too loud. Now I use a Champ clone.

I'm also pretty interested in the BF Princeton-Reverb reissue too, but for just a bit more $$ there's a Victoria "Ivy League" locally I've tested and am lusting for, and used they go for about the same price as the new Princeton RI.

Not that I really need anything but what I have right now. Just "tire kickin'."

I hear ya.

I've been on a 6V6 (need for tweed) binge the last few years: getting smaller and smaller! My 5E3 tweed deluxe clone even was too loud. Now I use a Champ clone.

I'm also pretty interested in the BF Princeton-Reverb reissue too, but for just a bit more $$ there's a Victoria "Ivy League" locally I've tested and am lusting for, and used they go for about the same price as the new Princeton RI.

Not that I really need anything but what I have right now. Just "tire kickin'."

Unless my Deltablues sells, I'll be tire kicking too.... But playing the Deltablues last night, it does sound rather good when I use a OD pedal in front of it...

they also made a YBA2 that came with either 6V6's or EL84's, in a head. great sounding little 20w amp

lately I've been leaning towards 6V6's in small amps & EL34's in bigger amps.

I have a YBA1 from 1967 loaded with EL34's that certainly gives my '72 Hiwatt a run for it's money

you can find these amps for <$500 all day long.....huge cleans & take pedals very well

agreed .... have owned a coupla the YBA2 heads and combos along the way - prior to my Dr Z acquisitions ..... the old Traynors are sweeet ..... wish I hadda kept at least one of 'em

cheers always,

Joel

The new shop owner was more concerned with looking up prices to the Van Halen Concert with his buddy then to be any help to me. I stood there for a few minutes before he said a word to me. Which was only after I worked my way into the conversation they were having. Spent 10 minutes listening to the new Van Halen album while looking around. Only a few things caught my interest...Alpine White LP Custom, and a FSR American Strat in Daphine Blue with matching headstock.... Neither was worth what they want...

They are nice amps. Good price point, nice features, and quality construction. They also make a lot of lower wattage "full featured" amps, which seem to be hard to find. Most of the low wattage amps you see around are also single channel with minimal controls, intended for cranking up.

• 6 months later...

The Traynors from the 70s were legendary.

I just got a new YGL-2. 30 watts all tube, single 12 inch Vintage 30 celestion speaker. Four 12AX7 tubes, fourEL84 power tubes, series effects loop. GREAT amp. Made in Canada, distributed in Canada by Long and McQuade music. Great warranty. Details here http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=442

Two channels sharing eq. The sound reminds me of a Vox amp, but you can switch the tone stack to get a more American sound. I'm using it with a Dr. Z attenuator and some Fulltone pedals (FaT-Boost, OCD, Plimsoul) and a Digitech RP-1000 in the loop for delays, chorus and big reverb. Sweet, sweet sounding amp. I can get a very Fender-ish sound, and if I roll of treble, keep the gain low but the volume high, with the Fat boost I get a sound a bit reminiscent of the Machine Head Vox tone. I don't use a lot of saturated gain tones, but this amp can get a very woody, open tone that kills with my strats (EMG equipped) and it can get a nice British bark out of it. Looking forward to trying it through a 4X12 cabinet (Traynor makes an amazing 4X12 cabinet, by the way...). Turning up the gain on the second channel can get some decent growl, would sound great with 'buckers.

Archived