Heritage Owners Club

Tailpeice Ground....

DetroitBlues

Has anyone ever had to fix the tiny little ground wire to the bridge/tailpiece? I went to plug the 140 in for the first time into my pocket pod and it was like listening to a weak AM radio station. Lots of interference and noise. When I touched the tailpiece it went away. I was looking at all the ground connections on the pots and they all look solid. I'm not sure what is going on here.... I know I've had a little hum when plugged into an amp, but the pocket pod just went nuts.... At first I thought it was the polarity of the wall wart for the pod, but that wasn't it. Then I replaced my headphones thinking the iPod mic on the headphone was jacking it up, that wasn't it either. Then I replaced the cables connecting the laptop and the guitar. That wasn't it either..... So I'm back to thinking my Pocket Pod is fine and the ground on the 140 needs attention....

Any clues how to replace/repair something like that?

Guest HRB853370

Has anyone ever had to fix the tiny little ground wire to the bridge/tailpiece? I went to plug the 140 in for the first time into my pocket pod and it was like listening to a weak AM radio station. Lots of interference and noise. When I touched the tailpiece it went away. I was looking at all the ground connections on the pots and they all look solid. I'm not sure what is going on here.... I know I've had a little hum when plugged into an amp, but the pocket pod just went nuts.... At first I thought it was the polarity of the wall wart for the pod, but that wasn't it. Then I replaced my headphones thinking the iPod mic on the headphone was jacking it up, that wasn't it either. Then I replaced the cables connecting the laptop and the guitar. That wasn't it either..... So I'm back to thinking my Pocket Pod is fine and the ground on the 140 needs attention....

Any clues how to replace/repair something like that?

Ever crossed your mind that your 140 is just not compatible with the pocket pod, whatever the heck that is~??

is it in the stud insert hole like on the 137 , if so pop'er out and check it , fold it a few times or replace it while you are in there and wedge it in good when you put the insert back in ,do you know the "screw trick" to get the inserts out ? easy peasy

first I would get a DMM and check for continuity with the ground of the guitar output. It could be something further down the line.

Yep, it's at least worth checking first. I remember when I swapped out the pots and caps on that guitar for you and the ground wire was litterately down to just a single strand... but there was still continuity at the time. I imagine it wouldn't have taken much to nix that remaining single strand. (to which I must appologize, I really should have just gone ahead and changed it out while doing the rest of the wiring)

I opened the control cavity again and that tiny strand is still connected. The problem isn't really bad when playing through an amp, at least its tolerable. But plugging it into the sensitive Line 6 Pocket Pod, holy cow, I swear I was listening to an AM station in Toyko....

I agree, check the ground with a meter. And if its only a single strand, probably a good idea to replace it anyway.

I've seen LP type guitars with ground schemes that have two ground connections to the jack creating a possible ground loop. On my 150 which had Bareknuckles installed, there where 2 grounds going from the pots to the jack, when I looked at a wiring diagram from BK, they showed only one. I removed one and my guitar was quieter in general and had less winter month / low humidity static issues.

Sorry if I come off like a jerk but it amazes me the number of times this gets asked and no one has the correct answer: if you touched the strings and the noise went away everything is working fine. Take a look at this wiring diagram:

2h_2v_1t_3w.jpg

Notice the little wire labeled "ground wire from bridge"? The bridge IS ground. When you touch the bridge/strings you become part of the ground circuit. EVERY guitar i have EVER owned has done this to a certain extent. Some have better internal shielding that help eliminate some of the hum but they ALL do this.

Again, sorry of I come off like a jerk - it's not my intent.

You're not being a jerk at all... When I'm playing the guitar, the noise might subside a very little amount. The noise does virtually disspear when I rest my hand on the tailpiece. However, I seldom rest my hand on the tailpeice. Even playing any of my old strats, I never had that issue, even my daughter's cheap squier....

You're not being a jerk at all... When I'm playing the guitar, the noise might subside a very little amount. The noise does virtually disspear when I rest my hand on the tailpiece. However, I seldom rest my hand on the tailpeice. Even playing any of my old strats, I never had that issue, even my daughter's cheap squier....

Hmmm... So touching the strings doesn't reduce the hum much? Are you using coated strings? Are the pickups properly shileded/wired? If you touch the pickup cover does the noise go away?

Hmmm... So touching the strings doesn't reduce the hum much? Are you using coated strings? Are the pickups properly shileded/wired? If you touch the pickup cover does the noise go away?

Only using DR Pure Blues.... Touching the covers deminishes it slightly...

• 3 weeks later...

I used my newly acquired strat last night on the Pocket Pod and its the Pocket Pod. The strat was also really noisy. The ground hum goes away when touching the strings on the strat. Its so unbearable. I'm going to contact line 6 and pray there is a warranty on it.... No idea how long it is, but I purchased it 18 months ago....

Archived