Heritage Owners Club

? Different OEM bridges on H525 guitars?

GASguy

I've been looking at H525s in the gallery photos and elsewhere.

I noticed some have traditional rosewood jazz style bridges, some have TOM bridges mounted on a rosewood base, and some have TOM bridges mounted on studs.

Are these all different OEM bridges?

If so does anyone know why they used the different styles at the factory over time?

Any input would be appreciated; any H525 photos would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

I don't know the history but I can suggest a reason: Heritage is essentially a custom shop and builds a lot of their guitars to customer specifications.

That's why we love 'em :)

Both options, floating and fixed bridges, have been available for years.

The fixed bridge has been recommended for those doing bends. The floating bridge offers a little more versatility but less stability.

I specifically requested a top mounted Tone Pros t.o.m. bridge for my custom build 525. For my style of playing it works perfectly.

The originals from Wolfe were designed as a floater just like the old ES225's...but much better in every way.

Well, the history is like Martygrass said.

The 525 started out with a baseplate TOM bridge. Pros: This offers more of a traditional jazzy woody tone. Cons: If someone is using .9s or even .10s and does a full bend, then the baseplate could slip. So Heritage decided to install the TOM bridge in the top of the guitar for more rock/blues players that use lighter strings. The trade off is more of a metalic tone, not quite as woody or jazzy as the baseplate TOM model.

I have the Baseplate TOM 525 strung with .11s and it is stable as a rock. Personally, I prefer this Baseplate TOM with slightly heavier strings, and even though I could do full step bends with it, I usually don't.

This is the history of the 525 and the differences of the bridges. The tone difference could be quite noticeable to negligible, depending on your ears.

Photo6_8dda1-Original.jpg

Does it matter? Yes, most certainly!! Tone issues, just as archtop with a baseplate bridge sounds different from a TOM bridge screwed into the top. Think of the difference the bridge material makes to tone, think of the difference a Bigsby bridge sounds different than a stoptail TOM.

I would think the top would make a difference. Perhaps a fixed bridge will could cause a top crack from the pressure on some suface types, such as a solid top, versus a laminate? No, the TOM is screwed into two support wood pieces under the top, so no top or structural issues.

Archived