Heritage Owners Club

Pre-radiused pickup rings? For H150CM

tbonesullivan

So, the neck pickup ring on my H150CM is broken on one side. I don't think Heritage radiuses the neck before installation, so it eventually snapped right in the middle on the fretboard side. I'd kinda like it to be in top shape, in case I need to ever sell it, and also the other side looks like it might go sometime soon.

So, does anyone sell pickup rings that are already sanded on the bottom to match the top contour? I've never had to replace rings before, so I have no idea what it entails. I'm going to get both neck and bridge so they'll match. the top is so rounded on the neck I've even considered getting two bridge rings and sanding one down a whole bunch.

I think that's a common problem with Heritage's 140 and 150's. My 140 appears to had the neck ring replaced more than once (broken one in the case). It really doesn't affect anything because the as long as the screw for the height adjustment side is in tact, the pickup won't move.

Seems to me I've come across some in the past. IIRC they were quite pricy. Get some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper and go to town. It's a rather simple task.

It's a straightforward job to apply the correct contour to new, flat-based pickup rings.

Remove strings and pickup rings.

Sit pickups in the pickup routes.

Put a piece of fine grade sandpaper across the area where the pickups are.

Place the neck pickup ring in its usual orientation between the pickup routes and slide it back and forth across the sandpaper, moving more towards the neck route.

Check every so often to see whether the correct contour has been achieved.

Repeat for the bridge mounting ring but move the ring more toward the tailpiece area. The bridge mount has a larger contour than the neck.

Hope that helps you out.

It's a straightforward job to apply the correct contour to new, flat-based pickup rings.

Remove strings and pickup rings.

Sit pickups in the pickup routes.

Put a piece of fine grade sandpaper across the area where the pickups are.

Place the neck pickup ring in its usual orientation between the pickup routes and slide it back and forth across the sandpaper, moving more towards the neck route.

Check every so often to see whether the correct contour has been achieved.

Repeat for the bridge mounting ring but move the ring more toward the tailpiece area. The bridge mount has a larger contour than the neck.

Hope that helps you out.

Now that's a great trick! I need to get some new rings and try that out!

Now that's a great trick! I need to get some new rings and try that out!

I've used it myself on my 150 and my 535 when I loaded the Phat Cats in each. Quick, simple and it works a treat :)

yeah, that's what i'm gonna have to do. The neck contour on my H150CM is pretty large though. We'll see how it goes. I'm assuming the standard rings from stewart macdonald should work, right?

They'll be fine as long as you're not fitting Schaller pickups and expecting to use the double screw adjustment.

Archived