Heritage Owners Club

Yoslate's guitar

Paul P

All this talk got me so excited....

I gotta change my underwear!!!

Report & pics, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are alittle over the 25 minute grace period we gave you between arrival and tone report & pics.......

You are just loving being able to kill us slowly like this... ;D

smile - only 14 minutes between posts, Kuz?... patience, patience.  After all, if YOU had that guitar in your hands, would you put it down?  That's gotta be a beauty - we probably won't hear from 'slate for hours.

smile - only 14 minutes between posts, Kuz?... patience, patience.   After all, if YOU had that guitar in your hands, would you put it down?  That's gotta be a beauty - we probably won't hear from 'slate for hours.

Point well taken.

OK, hurry up already.......! :this_thread_is_useless_withou

What a day!  I've been watching you guys acquire Heritages since last October.  I've enjoyed it all vicariously, knowing I had one on the way.  So fourteen months and six days in, mine found its way to the house.  Most of you know the saga; I'll spare you that.

1.  Sincerest thanks to all for your support in this. It's been great, and the very reason I joined the forum! 

2. :this_thread_is_useless_withou  They're coming.  I have no camera and had to spot my best friend a Jimmy Thackery ticket to take pics.  He's tweezing and formatting so I can post tomorrow.  We tried to get shots to show places on the guitar where posts have indicated problems in the past. What I want to do is show one (and that's all it is) example of Heritage post reorganization craftsmanship and Q.C.

3. FYI: The packing job Wolfe's did was superb...except somebody forgot to include the pickguard (which was left off for me to make the aesthetic decision as to just how to cut it to accommodate the P-90's, pickup height and dogears being problematic)! The box had cardboard spacers either side of the "neck" of the case so the case would not shift in the box.  The case was surrounded with air bag packing and bubble wrap.  It was packed very tightly.  The guitar, inside the case, was wrapped with sheet foam packing material, and bubble wrap and newspaper at the headstock, so the guitar could not move at all  in the case.  It was FedExed, and the box showed no signs of rough handling.  I collected myself for an hour-and-a-half before I could actually open it.

4. My god, it's a big guitar!  The almondburst finish is a stunning, gradual fade.  I think this was picked as the most popular finish in the forum poll.  This guitar shows why.  Whomever mixed the nitro and shot this guitar did a fine job.  The front's a little darker than the back, but that's the finish taking to two different woods.  The colors, both at the rim and across to the center, front and back, are gorgeous.  I can find only one very slight flaw in the finish at all.  That's a tiny bubble on the side of the headstock and only three very small inconsistencies:  a slightly irregular line of finish against the binding on the upper bout, treble side; some slight spotting of the clearcoat in the cutaway; and a spot missing clear coat at the very bottom tip of the neck, just at the end of the fingerboard.  Insignificant!  Not a sanding mark in sight.

5. The binding is perfect...really...everywhere!

6. The plating is perfect...really...everywhere!  The "H" bail, which I'd not been fond of, is amazing.  In every photo I've seen of one, they looked stamped and, I thought, a bit cheesy.  In the flesh, they're a really fine, substantial piece of metalwork, nothing stamped looking about them.  In fact, the "H" is a separate piece, riveted onto the bail.  And the black insert just above the "H" is a nice contrasting touch.  That bail is a nice  piece of work!  Ditto for the Tone Pros tune-a-matic, which I requested and which was fitted by Graham.

7. The mother of pearl is among the most stunning I've seen.  At some angles, white; at others, translucent; yet at others, extraordinarily colorful.  The split-blocks are perfectly crisp.  The headstock eagle inlay very well done; the branch is electric with color: red, blue, green, pink.

8. The fingerboard is a nice piece of ebony.  It does, however have a slight finish sanding flaw, a  rectangular 3/16ths" long, very  shallow depression at the fifth fret, between the B and E strings.  Immaterial.

So that's fit and finish.  Playability and tone report tomorrow.      ;D

Aww - that's too bad 'ya don't like it  ;D

Sounds wonderful = and a great report out on it.  Thanks so much!  Looking forward to the picks and tone report... and the Sunday gig report for that matter.

Enjoy!

It's nice to hear the good news, Slate. I don't think I'd be up to an ordeal like that.  Sounds like the guys in KZoo didn't skimp on your guitar.

Now if I could only remember where I keep seeing the words " Just play the f***n' thing..."

and a spot missing clear coat at the very bottom tip of the neck, just at the end of the fingerboard. 

ALL my heritages have this! Between the neck and neck pickup, there is no clearcoat. I wonder why?

Glad you're enjoying your guitar!

So fourteen months and six days in, mine found its way to the house. 

Thats some hard time to do in patience prison. :BangHead:   Best part is it arrived on a Friday so you've got the whole night and weekend

to cop a major feel. Congratulations. :icon_thumleft:

What a day!  I've been watching you guys acquire Heritages since last October.  I've enjoyed it all vicariously, knowing I had one on the way.  So fourteen months and six days in, mine found its way to the house.  Most of you know the saga; I'll spare you that.

1.  Sincerest thanks to all for your support in this. It's been great, and the very reason I joined the forum! 

2. :this_thread_is_useless_withou  They're coming.  I have no camera and had to spot my best friend a Jimmy Thackery ticket to take pics.  He's tweezing and formatting so I can post tomorrow.  We tried to get shots to show places on the guitar where posts have indicated problems in the past. What I want to do is show one (and that's all it is) example of Heritage post reorganization craftsmanship and Q.C.

3. FYI: The packing job Wolfe's did was superb...except somebody forgot to include the pickguard (which was left off for me to make the aesthetic decision as to just how to cut it to accommodate the P-90's, pickup height and dogears being problematic)! The box had cardboard spacers either side of the "neck" of the case so the case would not shift in the box.  The case was surrounded with air bag packing and bubble wrap.  It was packed very tightly.  The guitar, inside the case, was wrapped with sheet foam packing material, and bubble wrap and newspaper at the headstock, so the guitar could not move at all  in the case.  It was FedExed, and the box showed no signs of rough handling.  I collected myself for an hour-and-a-half before I could actually open it.

4. My god, it's a big guitar!  The almondburst finish is a stunning, gradual fade.  I think this was picked as the most popular finish in the forum poll.  This guitar shows why.  Whomever mixed the nitro and shot this guitar did a fine job.  The front's a little darker than the back, but that's the finish taking to two different woods.  The colors, both at the rim and across to the center, front and back, are gorgeous.  I can find only one very slight flaw in the finish at all.  That's a tiny bubble on the side of the headstock and only three very small inconsistencies:  a slightly irregular line of finish against the binding on the upper bout, treble side; some slight spotting of the clearcoat in the cutaway; and a spot missing clear coat at the very bottom tip of the neck, just at the end of the fingerboard.  Insignificant!  Not a sanding mark in sight.

5. The binding is perfect...really...everywhere!

6. The plating is perfect...really...everywhere!  The "H" bail, which I'd not been fond of, is amazing.  In every photo I've seen of one, they looked stamped and, I thought, a bit cheesy.  In the flesh, they're a really fine, substantial piece of metalwork, nothing stamped looking about them.  In fact, the "H" is a separate piece, riveted onto the bail.  And the black insert just above the "H" is a nice contrasting touch.  That bail is a nice  piece of work!  Ditto for the Tone Pros tune-a-matic, which I requested and which was fitted by Graham.

7. The mother of pearl is among the most stunning I've seen.  At some angles, white; at others, translucent; yet at others, extraordinarily colorful.  The split-blocks are perfectly crisp.  The headstock eagle inlay very well done; the branch is electric with color: red, blue, green, pink.

8. The fingerboard is a nice piece of ebony.  It does, however have a slight finish sanding flaw, a  rectangular 3/16ths" long, very  shallow depression at the fifth fret, between the B and E strings.  Immaterial.

So that's fit and finish.  Playability and tone report tomorrow.      ;D

Sounds like you're in love  :-*  :love7:  :love4:

Congrats on the new guitar.  :thumbsup:

I'm coming....  I'm off to the guitar shop to tweeze the Super in hopes of playing it out tomorrow.  Got to get a strap on it; there's no upper button.  I'll have to...drill....  And I have to find what will secure the strap at the bottom, as the "strap button" there is also the input jack.  And I'll need to change the factory .013's for .012's with no wound G, and that will mean resetting the intonation.  Then I'll go back over to Alex's for the photos.  I have to do all this while creating the illusion I'm doing yardwork.  My wife is fabulous, but this guitar is  the other woman.  C'mon guys, work with me here....

Can't wait to see it. The picture from Jay shows it to be a true work of art.  I think you've been as patient as anyone I've ever seen while waiting for your masterpiece to be completed. I'm sure your wife will understand about the other women. At least for 5 minutes or so.  Enjoy!

I'm coming....  I'm off to the guitar shop to tweeze the Super in hopes of playing it out tomorrow.  Got to get a strap on it; there's no upper button.  I'll have to...drill....  And I have to find what will secure the strap at the bottom, as the "strap button" there is also the input jack.   And I'll need to change the factory .013's for .012's with no wound G, and that will mean resetting the intonation.  Then I'll go back over to Alex's for the photos.  I have to do all this while creating the illusion I'm doing yardwork.  My wife is fabulous, but this guitar is  the other woman.  C'mon guys, work with me here....

DON'T FORGET to soap up the screw before you screw it in, otherwise you may split the wood! My H170 came without the strap button attached so I called Heritage and they told me about the soap technique. Be careful....

Be very careful when installing the upper strap button. If installing it in the body, the wood is very thin, and may crack. I believe others have wanted to do this, and sent theirs back to Heritage to have a reinforcing block installed.

If installing it on the base of the neck, then there shouldn't be any problems.

Thanks,T-steel and Sparky!!!  Could not, would not drill that body!  I've referenced the suggestion on the Heritage site, but I'll probably drill the heel of the neck.  That's how I did my 576, and it's just fine.  Appreciate the notes!

'Slate:

So glad the experience has been good.  I think there's always a little danger that expectations can get so inflated that the real deal can't match the fantasy, but then I'm guessing you probably know guitars too well, and are too generous of spirit in general, to be vulnerable to that trap.  If a guitar is made with heart --and the picture of your new axe exudes heart-- then the little stuff can get rectified over time.  Doesn't sound like your new baby is going to require much tweaking.

Good show, and congrats on a truly unique axe.  How many 18" American archtops with P-90s were made this year?  I'm thinking ...ONE!  Have a good show tomorrow night. 

How many 18" American archtops with P-90s were made this year?  I'm thinking ...ONE!  Have a good show tomorrow night. 

Thanks so much, 111!  There is an actual (semi-)authoritative number on P-90 Supers.  Graham, at Jay Wolfe, says maybe six, since Heritage opened twenty-three years ago!  Graham said this in mentioning the possibility of a forthcoming book (probably at least a couple of years out) on Heritage.  Jay has apparently ammassed quite a collection.

Hey, congrats on your guitar Yoslate.  Sorry I was out of town on Friday and missed the

show.  I'm just now catching up on the news.  I'm looking forward to hearing how it

plays once the setup has been done.

I think I heard a chorus-like sigh of relief from Parson's Street.  If they'd flubbed this one

the whole world would have been in mourning.

guitar2.gif

Paul P

Spent last night setting the guitar up for this evening, an outdoor gig.  Gig report: rainout!  :(  A number of you have requested, so, with apologies to Jacques, I'll file a tone and playability report and pics tomorrow. Just for clarification: no one need respond to it.  That's  not why I post here!  Thanks!

Rob

Archived