Heritage Owners Club

Seeking H530 Wisdom

Singerman

During my ongoing search for a 535 I stumbled across some sound samples for the H530 model...wow, what tone - P90s or Seth Lovers, fantastic sound.

For those of you who own or have spent some time with 530s, have you experienced feedback issues due to the full hollow? I don't anticipate any high volume use, living room to coffee house size rooms is the range of likely venues.

Also, given that its lighter than a 535, does it feel neck-heavy? I play standing up 99% of the time so I need a good balanced feel.

Hey Singerman~ The 530 is a fantastic guitar for low to medium volume gigs. HOC'er Eljay can speak for himself, but I think he's done solo work with his. They are very lightweight instruments and not at all neck heavy. Mine is a medium C neck and not a baseball bat, so it balances just fine standing or sitting. And yes, the tones are unique and sweet to my ear. With 10's it can do almost anything from pop to rock, or RnB to jazz, but with 11 or 12 flatwounds it takes you to Grant Green jazz heaven.

If you are concerned with possible feedback at higher volumes, then you can always order a 530 with a center block, or a floating center block (not attached to the back of the guitar.

I hope that helps.

my 530 is beautifully balanced and not neck heavy. light, too. i got her to feed back yesterday, testing my brand new marshall-style 18 watt amp turned up fairly high. for my normal playing, feedback is not a problem.

full hollow, baby!

Thanks guys, based on your responses it seems as if feedback isn't as big an issue as I might have thought. The 530 seems somewhat rare by comparison to the 535. I know I could be happy with a 535, in fact it may be more versatile overall, but there was an airyness to some of the 530 sound samples I heard that really peaked my interest. I suppose the right amp and effects could get me close to that tone with the 535, but I'd love to hear a 530 up close.

Eljay, I'm just down here in NM, let me know when your next gig is, maybe I'll get on my bad motor scooter and ride up there and give it a listen.

Keith - that's a beautiful instrument. I don't think I've heard of that model before, I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Barry - why would you change if you were buying today, thinner body more versatile than the 575? I see you live in Atlanta, is Blind Willies still open?

Keith - that\'s a beautiful instrument. I don\'t think I\'ve heard of that model before' date=' I bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Barry - why would you change if you were buying today, thinner body more versatile than the 575? I see you live in Atlanta, is Blind Willies still open?[/quote']

Change? Oh no! ....the 575 goes nowhere. I mean an additive buy.

Just like to have something with that P90 tone.

The Power\'trons in my Gretsch are VERY articulate. The Seth Lovers in the 575 are about the same but have more fur on the tone in comparison.

I believe Blind Willies is still open. Never been, but I hear about it from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I've played a vintage ES330 and a like new 530. The vintage Gibson had a lot of feedback and wasn't that fun to play. Now the H530 was a different story. It played beautifully did not feedback on me and was everything I hoped a hollow body P90 guitar would sound. It recommend one without a doubt if those two features are what you're looking for.

To ride Gitfiddler's coat-tails...The floating center block is great if you have feedback concerns---I have one in my H574 (extremely similar to a 575)--and it sounds wonderful both plugged and unplugged--and feedback is all but noexistent.

Guest HRB853370

I've played a vintage ES330 and a like new 530. The vintage Gibson had a lot of feedback and wasn't that fun to play. Now the H530 was a different story. It played beautifully did not feedback on me and was everything I hoped a hollow body P90 guitar would sound. It recommend one without a doubt if those two features are what you're looking for.

I say go for a 525. There is a gorgeous one in natural flamed wood on the forum for sale.

I have a 530 with TV Jones Classics. I have yet to have an issue with feedback. I'm sure it would feedback more than a 535 if you were in a loud enough context but for me (bass, drums, another guitar, 50-100 person venues indoors) it hasn't been a problem at all.

Tonewise, the 530 does jangly, bluesy, jazzy, rockabilly, very well. The only thing it doesn't seem to take well to is a lot of right hand damping on the 6th string and percussive picking while using only the neck pickup. It kind of "woofs" rather than "barks" at that point, which is not surprising for a fully hollow instrument amplified only with the neck pickup and that kind of playing. I don't think a vintage ES-175 would take well to that either!

In terms of the TV Jones pickups they have surprisingly more sustain than I would have expected. They're very attack sensitive, like a P-90, but less mid-range dominant (which is a good or a bad thing depending on taste).

I have a 530 with TV Jones Classics. I have yet to have an issue with feedback. I\'m sure it would feedback more than a 535 if you were in a loud enough context but for me (bass' date=' drums, another guitar, 50-100 person venues indoors) it hasn\'t been a problem at all.

Tonewise, the 530 does jangly, bluesy, jazzy, rockabilly, very well. The only thing it doesn\'t seem to take well to is a lot of right hand damping on the 6th string and percussive picking while using only the neck pickup. It kind of \"woofs\" rather than \"barks\" at that point, which is not surprising for a fully hollow instrument amplified only with the neck pickup and that kind of playing. I don\'t think a vintage ES-175 would take well to that either!

In terms of the TV Jones pickups they have surprisingly more sustain than I would have expected. They\'re very attack sensitive, like a P-90, but less mid-range dominant (which is a good or a bad thing depending on taste).[/quote']

I have a vintage Gretsch that I put TV Jones Power\'trons in and you are quite right about how sensitive they are with regards to attack. No joke. Great pickups. Had three sets of Jones\' pickups and have loved them all but I think the Powers are my favs.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I'm new here.

Just got (after waiting since early March) an H530.

When I was ordering it, I realized it I mainly wanted it because of the hollow body, both for the sound and the weight. My limited experience with P90's told me they were pretty cool, but I decided I'd probably like humbuckers better (not as bright) so I got it with Ducan Seth Lover (or is it Lever) pickups.

It sounds great for my what I want. It's very light, it's really pretty (wineburst), it sounds great, and the action, neck size and frets seem perfect to me (not having ever been able to play one, I was a little bit worried about that).

I've only just had it long enough to properly check it out, and am REALLY pleased with it.

Unfortunately, it arrived just after I arrived home from hospital having had major knee surgery, so I'm not as "mobile" as normal, which has interfered with fooling with it as much as I might.

I have an L5, a 335, and a '65 epiphone riviera.

The main one I was playing was the 335, and I wanted both a different, more airy sound, and less weight.

In persuit of this, I bought 4 other guitars and then returned them before setteling on the heritage, which proved by far to be the best choice (I'd bought a vintage 330 on approval, for instance, and it had real neck problems).

Will take some pictures eventually.

dkatz - Congrats on the new guitar, hope you can post some photos I'd love to see it. I've been trying to decide lately between the 530 and 535 as well, and have decided on the 530 with the Seth Lovers. In fact just this morning I was talking to Jay Wolfe about specs, I hope to get all that together and finalize the order within a week or so. I'll get a different color so we're not playing the same guitar...I'm thinking Sherwood Green,hahaha.

Jay said he had a customer who had recently taken delivery of a 530 with the SLs and has already emailed him a half dozen times to say how much he loves the guitar...maybe that was you!

Did you order yours with a custom neck profile, or the standard? Jay said the standard neck is medium thickness (1 11/16" nut), which works for me.

Enjoy the new guitar, and good luck for a fast knee recovery.

Could be me. I am REALLy pleased with it (though weirdly, it plays so easily that I'm wondering if they actually put on lighter strings than .010's.... (don't have a gauge).

I'll know once I change the strings. In the long run, I'll probably put heavier strings on for the meatier sound. As for neck thickness: it's thicker than the two Gibsons and vintage epiphone that I have, but thinner than most current Gibsons. I'm finding it ideal for me:I've never got a guitar in my iife that seemed fine the way it came, and didn't feel compelled to mess with it, until this one.

Archived