Heritage Owners Club

Blowing Fuses/Bulbs in 5F4

tulk1

My 5F4 Super has started blowing fuses and the pilot bulb. The bulb has been out for quite some time. The fuse blew last weekend. I picked up new bulbs and fuses. Last night I put them in, turned the amp "ON" and it blew the bulb. I pulled the fuse and it looked okay. But later when we went to use the amp we got nothing. Inspection showed the fuse was gone. Probably blew with the bulb, but we were in a bad light situ and couldn't see that well.

My question: What would be a simple trouble shooting plan? I really can't do the internal electronics, but I can do tubes. Should I start with the rectifier and go from there? Just need a logical flow before I have to take it to a tech.

Rectfier is first tube I replace with fuse blowing - and was the cause of the last 2 fuse blow incidents I had (on Allen and PRRI). The bulb blowing, too, is different. didn't do that on the 'blackface' style circuits for me, but maybe it's tied in somehow on the tweed?

Infinitely more expertise here than me.

It could be a shorted rectifier tube... it's not tied in, though it doesn't take much to blow those bulbs so the surge/draw could momentarily impact the PT and take out the bulb.

If you have a spare rectifier tube laying around you could give it a try... if it blows again, I would take it to a tech.

***Edit for an after thought - did it blow instantly on power up, or did it take a few moments?

It could be a shorted rectifier tube... it's not tied in, though it doesn't take much to blow those bulbs so the surge/draw could momentarily impact the PT and take out the bulb.

If you have a spare rectifier tube laying around you could give it a try... if it blows again, I would take it to a tech.

***Edit for an after thought - did it blow instantly on power up, or did it take a few moments?

Immediately ... this time. The bulb had been out for a while (but it's been problematic since I got it; never really gave it much thought.) Then the fuse blew. Also, channel 1 sizzles a bit. :) I have a 5U4GB here. I'll give it a shot, see what happens. Thx, guys.

So, here's what I see as the initial trouble shooting scheme:

New fuse

Replace the rectifier

Power up

Blows - check power tubes.

Doesn't blow - power down, add bulb, power up.

Blows - take to Tech

Doesn't blow -good to go for a while.

Any chance the pre's might be consipiring here as well?

What a bummer. Hope it's just something simple. I had a Peavy amp that did that. But being a PCB board, there isn't a whole lot that can be done for that type of amp. At least yours is an old fashion handwired amp that can be fixed quickly.

Tech said something about a wanky wire or cap or resisto around the B+ thingy, most likely. I said, sure, sounds good to me!

DId he have to get so technical about it? At least bring it down to our level..... well, its broke!

Personally, I think you should look at the electrisicals you're using.

What a bummer. Hope it's just something simple. I had a Peavy amp that did that. But being a PCB board, there isn't a whole lot that can be done for that type of amp. At least yours is an old fashion handwired amp that can be fixed quickly.

PCB amps are repairable, it's just more of a PITA. Ain't buying no more...EVER. Selling all of mine...Seriously, and they all run great!

PCB amps are repairable, it's just more of a PITA. Ain't buying no more...EVER. Selling all of mine...Seriously, and they all run great!

I didn't say they weren't, just harder and trouble some. Some are easier than others. KBP modded and fixed by Blues Jr, but my Peavey Valveking was too difficult because they use micro components... That's why I'm choosing to play amps that have been handwired or easy to repair.

Archived