Heritage Owners Club

How can you determine which humbucking pickups are installed?

funkapus

I don't own a Heritage yet; I've been looking at 555s and 575s, but I haven't spent enough time trying guitars out yet to really know for sure what I want to do. I've been surfing listings here, on gBase, the local Craigslist, on ebay, etc., for guitars to check out. Occasionally I've seen 555s or 575s for sale on ebay or Craigslist where the seller has no idea what pickups are installed -- SL's, 59's, Schallers, HRWs, no idea. Is there anything on the exterior of the pickup that makes it easy to tell?

Thanks.

it usually is labelled on the bottom of the pickup

sometimes Heritage will also write what came in the gtr on the back of the wiring cover...but that's no guarantee as people often swap pups; best to read the actual pickups

For a full hollow body like a 575 you can use a dental mirror through the f-hole to view the back of the pickups. Othewise you need to pull the pickups. If you see two screws per side on the pickup ring it usually means stock Schallers; exception being the mystical HRWs, which will have a special label on the back and usually a dot on the end of the switch tip. Good luck!

Best way to tell is to play the guitar:

If they sound awesome, then they are awesome pickups; if they don't sound awesome, then they are not awesome pickups. If they sound great, it just doesn't matter!

Of course it is still nice to know, so I suggest following one of the aforementioned posts instead of mine.

Quick and dirty method .....

2 mounting screws per pickup = Duncans, usually 59s or Seth Lovers

e.g. 535 with Duncan 59s

gallery_328_8_115713.jpg

========================================

4 mounting screws per pickup = Schallers

e.g. 157 with Schallers

gallery_328_8_87797.jpg

==========================================================

4 mounting screws per pickup and a dot on the switch tip = HRWs

e.g. Millie with HRWs

gallery_328_8_193527.jpg

Guest HRB853370

e.g. 535 with Duncan 59s

gallery_328_8_115713.jpg

e.g. 157 with Schallers

gallery_328_8_87797.jpg

e.g. Millie with HRWs

gallery_328_8_193527.jpg

I hope you bring the above with you to PSP. I am waiting patiently in Kalamazoo....

e.g. 535 with Duncan 59s

e.g. 157 with Schallers

e.g. Millie with HRWs

That's very informative for left-handed pickups - but what about for right-handed?

S_C

That's very informative for left-handed pickups - but what about for right-handed?

S_C

It can get fairly complex... I've heard horror stories of people buying right handed guitars just to find out later that they had left handed pickups installed in them.

Thanks for your posts everyone -- all of this was *very* helpful. Especial thanks to SouthpawGuy for the effort to upload and annotate the pics!

kbp810 -- I agree with what you're saying re: the important thing being how it sounds to you. But in addition to situations where that's hard to execute (long-distance purchases), it's useful to be able to develop an opinion of what you've heard that you liked/didn't like, and know what that is . . .

If there is wax showing around the pole height adjustment screws, then they are '59s. Otherwise, they're Seth Lovers.

Archived