Heritage Owners Club

Jim's close call today

chico

Many of you HOC'rs know that I am a second cousin to Jim Deurloo. He is related on my mom's side. This morning I helped my mom to a Dr. appt. in downtown Kzoo, (she is Jim's first cousin), and afterwards I figured I stop by the plant and see Jim to fill him in on my mom's health. It was about coffee break time, and my timing was excellent as I pulled up in front of Parsons St. at 9:15 and proceeded to open the door and as I stepped down in to the place we all know, there was Jim to greet me! Timing was perfect as he was getting ready to head out to his favorite bakery a few blocks away to grab a cup of joe and a pastry. We usually will run over there together and today was no different than usual except for one thing:

Jim told me of the close call he had on the way in to work today. Driving on Gull Rd. from his home NE of Kzoo, Jim hit a pocket of backed up traffic, unexpectedly, and hit his brakes. He was able to slow ok but the guy behind him wasn't seeing the stopped traffic and looking in his rear view mirror, Jim saw a dark colored SUV bearing down on him unaware of stopped traffic..

Oh oh. Well, bracing himself (head leaning back against the headrest) expecting the collision from behind, Jim was astounded that the driver was able to swerve at the last second and go around him..mostly..except for some paint. Here's the photo of the missing paint from Jim's pickup truck...

He credited the other guy for being a good enough driver to miss the accident....

Some days are lucky days.

I told him I was taking a picture of the scrape for all the HOC to see...and here it is.

post-179-0-53796700-1347933810_thumb.jpg

" . . . He credited the other guy for being a good enough driver to miss the accident...."

That's too close for comfort! It's good that it turned out as well as it did. He is being very generous in describing the other guy's driving. Had it come out worse, the other guy might have been ticketed for not having his vehicle under control, following too close, possibly speeding, and so on.

He's lucky. Folks in Kalamazoo drive fast.

They drive the same way here in Louisville. They pay more attention to that little telephone than the road. I saw two people on Saturday texting while going 70+mph. I think they ought to rename my area IOTOR. That's Idiots Out Texting On the Road.

Only the best of people would drive 5+ hours (each way) to help Mother to her doctor's appointment and trump that with a side trip to see his Uncle. You is good folk Chico.

Only the best of people would drive 5+ hours (each way) to help Mother to her doctor's appointment and trump that with a side trip to see his Uncle. You is good folk Chico.

well, I stayed at the cottage over the weekend and so it was more like 20 min. lol

and Jim is cousin kin, his late father my great unc. augie d.

and Brian yah could've written the headline to the post a little better than I did..

carry on my friend!

Chico I didn't know you where related. Glad Jim is ok and what a nice guy to give the errant driver credit for almost missing him, very charitabile attitude. Give him our regards.

I am always impressed with how nice other drivers are in the midwest, every time I drive home I know when I'm getting close, the agressivness of the drivers around me increases by leaps and bounds.

Guest HRB853370

I would not call him a good enough driver if he couldn't pay enough attention to traffic stopping in front of him! I would say he exercised great evasive tactics at the last second! So glad nothing happened to Jim!!

I would not call him a good enough driver if he couldn't pay enough attention to traffic stopping in front of him! I would say he exercised great evasive tactics at the last second! So glad nothing happened to Jim!!

Will I think you are correct and I think Jim meant "good" driver in a "NASCAR" kind of way lol

Guest HRB853370

Will I think you are correct and I think Jim meant "good" driver in a "NASCAR" kind of way lol

Yeah, I think I knew what he meant. "Great piece of driving dude and BTW, thanks for not smashing into me"!!

Folks in Michigan drive fast everywhere. Jim sure got lucky!

If you want to try a real crazy place, try driving in Memphis. I felt like Mad Max in Road Warrior. I'd rather drive 500 miles on a NASCAR track than 20 miles in Memphis.

Archived