Heritage Owners Club

New Benson endorsed Fender Amp!

Gitfiddler

George Benson has been a Fender amp user for many years. Yes, he also has been associated with solid state Mini Brutes, but he seems to like Hot Rod Deluxe amps for live performances.

Now he is endorsing a slightly upgraded (100 watt Jenson C12K spkr., Special Tolex) "GB Hot Rod Deluxe" model.

I'm at a loss why he would endorse an amp that has 3 channels (Clean, Gain and More Gain) since he doesn't use gain channels. Why not go the way of the Clapton special editions and get a single channel point to point amd and make sure it has uber clean headroom? Maybe he wanted something that was still reasonably priced for wanna-be jazzers like me. :icon_smile:

Personally, I like the Blues Deluxe w/ext. speaker version myself as it's a bit more um...bluesier or squishy, but still plenty of cleans. But hey, I ain't no Benson!!!!!!

Here's the scoop on GB's latest money maker...

http://www.fender.co...-hot-rod-deluxe

2230400000_alt_wlg_002.jpg

A 100w HRDX? Whoa, way too much output for that amp.

I think that wattage was the capacity of the Jensen speaker. The amp is still a 2 6L6 amp at 40 watts. It's still too loud for all humans and small domesticated animals.

I can see choosing Fender for those amazing cleans, but there are better amps to get them. I own a HRD because it does bring the cleans, has great reverb, is versatile, and you can carry it to a gig, but there are better cleans in a Twin.

I find this quite interesting....

I recently purchased via iTunes the concert film "Absolutely Live Benson" recorded in Ireland in 2000. It looked like GB was playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It sounded decent and I just assumed that it was a one-off rental from Ireland. You know, a last minute, "get me a Fender amp" because GB didn't want to fool with hauling his amps on tour.

I never thought that he actually PREFERRED a Hot Rod Deluxe???!!!

Just goes to show, it's the guitarist, not the gear!!! (but what is the fun in that??!!!!!!!)

All that sound out of his thumb..Wowzers!!

GB only uses his thumb a small part of the time. Mainly, when he is doing a Wes Montgomery song.

I'm surprised it's not a take on a Twin instead of a HRD.

Who, in his right mind, is going to buy a Twin? Saw Joanne Shaw-Taylor last week. Terrific! Blazing loud, though...blazing! She was using a friend of mine's Twin. Talked to the sound guy after the gig. He didn't even put her through the PA!

Who, in his right mind, is going to buy a Twin? Saw Joanne Shaw-Taylor last week. Terrific! Blazing loud, though...blazing! She was using a friend of mine's Twin. Talked to the sound guy after the gig. He didn't even put her through the PA!

The new twin has a built in attunenator...

The new twin has a built in attunenator...

That make it lighter...? I schlepped one of those, with JBL's, thank you, around this fair land of ours for nearly a year. The thirty-two or so inches off the ground of the back of the van eventually became about nine feet....

George Benson has been a hero of mine for many many years--what a fantastic guitarist! But I have to say, I can't imagine that video helping to sell many amps.

I agree. He did another video promoting his hideous looking 30th Anniversary GB10 with the gold Kimono finish that was embarrassing. And like you and millions of others, I am in total awe of Mr. Benson's masterful guitar skills. Keep playing, GB, and leave the sales pitches to the pros.

That make it lighter...? I schlepped one of those, with JBL's, thank you, around this fair land of ours for nearly a year. The thirty-two or so inches off the ground of the back of the van eventually became about nine feet....

Ah, the silverface Twin with JBL's--icon of an era!!

I agree. He did another video promoting his hideous looking 30th Anniversary GB10 with the gold Kimono finish that was embarrassing. And like you and millions of others, I am in total awe of Mr. Benson's masterful guitar skills. Keep playing, GB, and leave the sales pitches to the pros.

Now I agree that finish was definitely not traditional, but I like it. Maybe if I had 6 or 7 archtops it would be cool to have something different. But I agree, it would not be my first choice if it was my only archtop. But at least it was something different and not just an 12AT7 in V1 and a speaker change from a Hot Rod Deluxe.

So other than a speaker swap and a snakeskin like tolex, what is the major difference? Besides an inflated price mark up?

What Josh, another sell out in GB? LOL

There is an 12AT7 in V1 in addition to what you mentioned. I read where the mark up on The GB amp is not that much.

What Josh, another sell out in GB? LOL

There is an 12AT7 in V1 in addition to what you mentioned. I read where the mark up on The GB amp is not that much.

Nah, no sellout there.. He actually using them. So the preamp has a cleaner tube as well? Sweet!

Nah, no sellout there.. He actually using them. So the preamp has a cleaner tube as well? Sweet!

He uses a Polytone amp too. Sometimes together. He has been associated with the Polytone amp forever.

Archived