Heritage Owners Club

5F1 Cabinet

PunkKitty

Since I won't be able to use the cabinet I wanted to for the 5F1 build that Brian is doing for me, I decided to order something a bit different than the standard tweed cabinet. I found this on ebay for about the same price. It's made from curly maple and walnut. The amp will get a 8" alnico Weber speaker that I have.

$T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDbcBQR7D6YuTg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwywYHBQR7EUtCOg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJGQE9noMbZu4BQR7D+P3L!~~60_57.JPG

Since I won't be able to use the cabinet I wanted to for the 5F1 build that Brian is doing for me, I decided to order something a bit different than the standard tweed cabinet. I found this on ebay for about the same price. It's made from curly maple and walnut. The amp will get a 8" alnico Weber speaker that I have.

$T2eC16FHJHYE9nzpcDbcBQR7D6YuTg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwywYHBQR7EUtCOg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJGQE9noMbZu4BQR7D+P3L!~~60_57.JPG

My good friend Jeff McMurray at Bandmate USA made that :)

Yes he did! He shipped it almost immediately too. I should have it on Monday.

Jeff's workmanship is second to none. He also made my ElectraBird guitar. Quality work - highly recommended.

He's got a lovely curly maple 5E3 cab for sale too!

Howard is dead on: Jeff's workmanship is second to none!

What Jim isn't telling you is that he too was 'instrumental' in getting my ElectraBird from the abstract to the material :) I've got both Jeff and Jim's signatures in the pickup routes of that guitar.

I am WAY beyond impressed, PK. This is just plain beautiful. If you're not 100% happy with that Weber 8 let me know, I have an 8 ohm extra secret weapon alnico plug 8 incher from a pair reccently won on the 'bay. They do tweed tones better than the Jensens of tha time by far and are quite loud and ful sounding for their size.

Seriously beautiful cab, PK. Can't to play...er....for you to have it home and enjoying it!!

Is that an 8" opening on that cab? Looks bigger for some reason!

I am WAY beyond impressed, PK. This is just plain beautiful. If you're not 100% happy with that Weber 8 let me know, I have an 8 ohm extra secret weapon alnico plug 8 incher from a pair reccently won on the 'bay. They do tweed tones better than the Jensens of tha time by far and are quite loud and ful sounding for their size.

I know that a popular idea is to use this 5F1 circuit and simply try bigger speakers and cab's. I'm looking at a faithful 5F1 build with a custom 10" speaker baffle, along with a Weber Sig 10AS 8 Ohm alnico speaker. 212Mavguy...thoughts on that speaker combo?

PK~ You did good, real good scoring that cab! The cool thing is that you can drop whatever speaker you want in it for different tones (Anico or Creamic) and still get to ogle that gorgeous wood.

Hey, have you asked what he'd charge you for a 10" baffle for that amp? That would open up even more sonic goodness.

Guest HRB853370

Jeff's workmanship is second to none. He also made my ElectraBird guitar. Quality work - highly recommended.

He's got a lovely curly maple 5E3 cab for sale too!

How do you know all these people in Wisconsin???

PK~ You did good, real good scoring that cab! The cool thing is that you can drop whatever speaker you want in it for different tones (Anico or Creamic) and still get to ogle that gorgeous wood.

Hey, have you asked what he'd charge you for a 10" baffle for that amp? That would open up even more sonic goodness.

Since I already have a 8" speaker I didn't ask.

How do you know all these people in Wisconsin???

Not to derail this thread, but the short answer is indeed that Howard is "the friendly sort." Of course, I've known Howard on HOC for a while now, but he decided to purchase my H-150 when I had it for sale about a year ago. At about the same time, Howard asked us if we could build him a guitar to his design and specs, so we did. Needless to say, the rest is history. My wife and I met Howard and his family when we were visiting the UK last May (I delivered the H-150 at the same time), so our friendship has only grown stronger from day one.

And PK, congrats once again on the cab! It's great to hear you like it! I'll be sure to pass that on to Jeff if he isn't watching this thread already. BTW, in the event you weren't aware, Jeff is running for president of the USA, so if you're undecided as to how to cast your vote, be sure to put his name in as a "write-in" candidate.......LOL.

Seriously beautiful cab, PK. Can't to play...er....for you to have it home and enjoying it!!

I know that a popular idea is to use this 5F1 circuit and simply try bigger speakers and cab's. I'm looking at a faithful 5F1 build with a custom 10" speaker baffle, along with a Weber Sig 10AS 8 Ohm alnico speaker. 212Mavguy...thoughts on that speaker combo?

I think that's fine...

but I like the cone control that comes from a bigger voice coil. If you haven't already bought the Weber, this is more like what I like in vintage speakers, some Japanese speaker makers turned out stuff way better, but for HIFI, than what most Americans were putting in guitar amps at the time. Kinda like apples and oranges, so not a fair comparison at all, but these old speakers reeeeeeally deliver the goods in tweed style amps onward. This 10 is well made, look at the size of the spider, quite large, as is the VC/magnet assembly.. The cone is made of good paper, and quite a few of my fave Japanese speakers have flatter, more parabolic cone profiles than the American units, probably more ex[esive to produce, less beamy highs. I've had way good luck with certain Pioneer alnico woofers for dirtbag prices. You'll hear more mids, more harmonic content, gorgeous sweet sounding tones clean, and good bite without being obnoxious dirty like some ceramics can be. Great response to pinch harmonics, can chime or squeal just fine. Take a look and see what a 2 inch 30-40 watt VC alnico from Weber would cost, then look at the price of this real vintage speaker. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRITERION-10-ALNICO-WOOFER-2-VC-Great-for-tube-guitar-amps-Huge-alnico-mag-/170917896425?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27cb8020e9

Have had more than one great transaction from this guy. He knows the good japanese alnico guitar speakers.

For those that like PK's new cab, Jeff has this one ready to go in a couple of weeks. A curly maple beauty! :)

261C2D19-F0D3-462F-92C9-3EFB30EA95C5-8683-000010AB89D7A460.jpg

Jeff can build to your own custom order too. Got an idea yet? :)

Yeah, I think the pics actually make the cab look larger than it really is. In person, it's really quite small and rather cute. Will a 10" speaker fit with this cab once the chassis is installed? If so, I may just run with something like that myself.

For those that like PK's new cab, Jeff has this one ready to go in a couple of weeks. A curly maple beauty! :)

261C2D19-F0D3-462F-92C9-3EFB30EA95C5-8683-000010AB89D7A460.jpg

Jeff can build to your own custom order too. Got an idea yet? :)

Ha, that's my little silverface Champ sitting behind that cab, too......LOL. I need to restore that thing pretty soon.

This 10 is well made, look at the size of the spider, quite large, as is the VC/magnet assembly.. The cone is made of good paper, and quite a few of my fave Japanese speakers have flatter, more parabolic cone profiles than the American units, probably more ex[esive to produce, less beamy highs.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27cb8020e9

Have had more than one great transaction from this guy. He knows the good japanese alnico guitar speakers.

Loved this idea Mav...but looking at that massive casting on the back of this speaker, and looking at the Weber installed, with dust cap removed....doesn't look like there's room for much else. May just have to find a nice 1x12 cab to mess with and try your suggestions that way. Not gonna trash the cab, nitro laquered tweed....gorgeous.

Thanks for the eye opener!

Guest HRB853370

Not to derail this thread, but the short answer is indeed that Howard is "the friendly sort." Of course, I've known Howard on HOC for a while now, but he decided to purchase my H-150 when I had it for sale about a year ago. At about the same time, Howard asked us if we could build him a guitar to his design and specs, so we did. Needless to say, the rest is history. My wife and I met Howard and his family when we were visiting the UK last May (I delivered the H-150 at the same time), so our friendship has only grown stronger from day one.

And PK, congrats once again on the cab! It's great to hear you like it! I'll be sure to pass that on to Jeff if he isn't watching this thread already. BTW, in the event you weren't aware, Jeff is running for president of the USA, so if you're undecided as to how to cast your vote, be sure to put his name in as a "write-in" candidate.......LOL.

When you say "we could build him" who assisted you in the build?

Archived