Heritage Owners Club

I played through an Egnater Rebel 30 head/cab tonight; WOW!

schundog

I had to go pick up wifey at the airport in Peoria tonight with my 10 year old in tow, and the kid and I had enough time after a pizza buffet (she was VERY impressed; I'm trying to show her how a lady should be treated) we stopped into Guitar Center. I always check out the stuff on the used wall first, hoping to find a Fender Mustang III for cheap, and seeing what else is there. There was a black Washburn Bass with "Darrell" scratched into the headstock, and several stickers on the body, along with some unidentified goo....$60, but Eww...There was a bright blue Cort Strat copy for $49, and the kid working said it was better than it looked, so I pulled it down. "Whatta ya want to play through?" he asked. I was going to be happy with the nearest practice amp, but when it wasn't plugged in (half the amps aren't, WTF?!) I decided to try out the Egnater Rebel 30 Head and 1X12 Cab. I figured it wouldn't sound good unless I got it pretty loud, but I was wrong! It really sounded good with slight crunch at lower volume. I goosed it a little bit, and it was obvious it was going to get better and better the louder it got, but it was very respectable tone at lower volume. I figured it was just a crunch machine, until I switched to the clean channel. VERY nice tone there, too! This was all with a not very good guitar with rusty strings; I can only imagine how good it would have sounded with a better guitar! I've always considered myself as a 1X12 combo kind of guy, but my interest is definitely piqued with these things. I've always heard good stuff about them, and I know FredZep has an Egnater and loves it. Maybe I've purposely avoided them because I need another amp like I need another hole in my head.... Anyway, any other Egnater love out there?

Yes... there are a lot of tone options available with those amps... mine is a Tweaker and it's a great amp for the money.

I like the way that you turned a trip to the airport ... to pizza and Guitar Center, lookin' for bargains. Always looking for that next great deal....

It was the Rebel that got me interested enough to get the Tourmaster with out playing it first.

Egnater amps have a particular sound that seems like a combination of other companies sounds. Thats what attracted me.

Infact....

P1130885.jpg

The only sound I couldnt emulate was the Mesa LS's mk1'ish flavour. The Slash sig head and the Vintage Modern were easily achievable....plus more.

P1160293.jpg

Ive put it against a few amps and it holds up really well. You can throw in some Bad Cats, other mesa's, Vox's as well.

I cant really find a use for the amp as a gigging amp as its just too heavy and the clean or low gain isnt really what I need at the moment, though it is cool, kinda JTM45 vibe about it.

Its a bit buzzy at quieter levels but at snare cymbal levels its wonderful.

But Im not sure about reliability.......it vex's me that I dont feel 100% confident, or even 70% confident. For some reason, gut feeling, hunch, what ever, I dont feel confident in it as a regular working amp. It has never failed on me but I cant shake the feeling that it will let me down in the middle of a gig. Its a weird feeling.

It has a lot of knobs!

on the amp Im using at the moment I use volume, treb, bass, verb. Only the volume control is ever touched/adjusted. Loud or louder.

I dont think any device can have too many dials, buttons, knobs or controls. Ipods and their ilk seem poorly designed. Surely they could stick some dials on them. I feel ripped off.

The head Egnator is a 20, the combo is a 30. The 20 has awesome reviews as does the Tweaker 15. I've played both and loved the tones. You can find the head used for $299 and the cabs for under $200. I was looking for a used 30 which is a combo verison, but it has some reliability issues.

Guest HRB853370

I had to go pick up wifey at the airport in Peoria tonight with my 10 year old in tow, and the kid and I had enough time after a pizza buffet (she was VERY impressed; I'm trying to show her how a lady should be treated) we stopped into Guitar Center. I always check out the stuff on the used wall first, hoping to find a Fender Mustang III for cheap, and seeing what else is there. There was a black Washburn Bass with "Darrell" scratched into the headstock, and several stickers on the body, along with some unidentified goo....$60, but Eww...There was a bright blue Cort Strat copy for $49, and the kid working said it was better than it looked, so I pulled it down. "Whatta ya want to play through?" he asked. I was going to be happy with the nearest practice amp, but when it wasn't plugged in (half the amps aren't, WTF?!) I decided to try out the Egnater Rebel 30 Head and 1X12 Cab. I figured it wouldn't sound good unless I got it pretty loud, but I was wrong! It really sounded good with slight crunch at lower volume. I goosed it a little bit, and it was obvious it was going to get better and better the louder it got, but it was very respectable tone at lower volume. I figured it was just a crunch machine, until I switched to the clean channel. VERY nice tone there, too! This was all with a not very good guitar with rusty strings; I can only imagine how good it would have sounded with a better guitar! I've always considered myself as a 1X12 combo kind of guy, but my interest is definitely piqued with these things. I've always heard good stuff about them, and I know FredZep has an Egnater and loves it. Maybe I've purposely avoided them because I need another amp like I need another hole in my head.... Anyway, any other Egnater love out there?

Glad the Egnator Ignited you!

For the Tweaker model..

A lot of tone possibilities with an all tube amp with options of Fender/ Vox / Marshall in clean / hot settings and vintage/ modern tone

There are also switches for bright / normal for the top end and deep / tight for the low end .. along with normal treble, middle , bass and gain adjustment knobs.

I like what it can do..

The head Egnator is a 20, the combo is a 30. The 20 has awesome reviews as does the Tweaker 15. I've played both and loved the tones. You can find the head used for $299 and the cabs for under $200. I was looking for a used 30 which is a combo verison, but it has some reliability issues.

Well, no, the head was a 30. Very cool amp. Here is the link.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-rebel-30-30w-tube-guitar-amp-head?src=3WWRWXGP

I used to have a Rebel 30 and loved it, then it turned into liked it alot, then I sold it for a Mesa TransAtlantic 15. Egnater makes a nice amp for sure. I'd still have it if I didnt covet the TransAtlantic so badly at the time. Dog, I'm in your boat too--I dont need another amp--but since when is this game about need anyway?

I'll be selling my Tweaker 15 soon due to a new amp acquisition. If any of you happen to be interested, feel free to PM me. I've loved the amp, but because I decided to go the simulated effects root shortly after I purchased it, I've only been using the power amp side of the amp (except for those special occasions when I decide to plug directly into the amp and remember how much fun a guitar and an amp can be without any extra effects). Anyhow, for what it's worth, I've really enjoyed the amp as well. I'm not versed enough to say how well it emulates other amps, but I do know that I've really enjoyed it's versatility and the range of tones it can provide.

Archived