Heritage Owners Club

Kap

Help.

I allowed one of my students to play on my H-150 while I was busy with others. A week later I opened the case to spend some time with it and found this!!!!

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/LionsCollege/DSC_0783.jpg

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/LionsCollege/DSC_0784.jpg

It looks as if a near perfect circle of the coating has come off taking the colour with it.What does one do now? (apart from never letting students near favoured instruments ever again!)

Take the guitar and the flake of nitro to a luthier. Nitro can be repaired and you may get a very good repair if the flake fits the hole exactly.

Don't be tempted to glue it!

Found the flake (luckily in the case) I just put it there so it can be photographed. I had briefly thought about PVA glue but better sense and blood pressure pill took effect. :sad1: It looks like he may have pulled the guitar lead off but because the connection is a bit tight, he may have instinctively JERKED back, the size and shape is almost perfect to the diameter of the input lead.

(I'm opening a bottle of scotch tonight....... much more pleasant than the BP pills).

By the way the said student was a regular to my office as he loves guitars, and I had thought it strange I had not seen him for over a week in that interim period between him playing it and me discovering it. Has not had the courage to visit and avoids me on campus.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/LionsCollege/DSC_0783.jpg[\img]

It looks as if a near perfect circle of the coating has come off taking the colour with it.What does one do now? (apart from never letting students near favoured instruments ever again!)

Hard learned lesson... Students and kids seldom understand the value of instruments. Money is still in terms on monopoly amounts. Means nothing to them....

Next time buy a budget/ student guitar for them to use and leave the good stuff at home...

That's odd.

But yes... take that to someone used to working with nitro and you'll be amazed with the results...

It sounds like your student is embarrassed and scared to talk to you about it. Show him the repair when it's fixed and start over...

AAARRGGGHHH !!! is exactly what I would have said if it were me. That's one reason no one but me plays my guitars. I played at a party where there was some guy who was supposed to be a studio musician in Nahsville. Of course, I let him play my Vestax D'Angelico archtop figuring he would take care of it. He started to wail on that thing, literally banging on it. I tried to get the guitar back but he pulled away and kept on playing. Finally I got it back but he played it so hard, he actually moved my bridge. That was the last time anyone got to play my stuff.

Yeh, I know and have been around long enough to know that there are some things you DO NOT LEND. And the drink last night helped me recover but I was also reminded about my early love of music and guitars, how I envied blokes who had half way decent guitars and didn't have to practice on strings that had to be forced to meet the fretboard.

I'll grab him today and invite him to come and play again on it, I can fortunately afford a Heritage and maintain it, he has to make do and retain enthusiasm with a very cheap chinese piece of.........ahhh, 'the Laphroaig helps me keep a focus on the then & now"

any luck finding a tech to do it? As you still have the chip, it may be as simple as putting some solvent or dilute nitro on, putting the chip in and squishing it down, and then covering with some more nitro. Then of course a month or two to dry, and then sand down and buff out.

But yeah, if you're gonna loan out a guitar, i'd loan out one that has some battle scars. Kinda lame of the kid not to fess up though.

Guest HRB853370

There are several things I do not lend. One is my car, two is my toothbrush, three is my wife and 4 are my guitars.

I'd lend my wife before any Heritage that I own. Hope she didn't hear that! I think the kid should be gently confronted and asked to pay for the repair, even if it means payments. Honesty and ethics are seldom found anymore and it might be a good life's lesson for him.

I was also reminded about my early love of music and guitars, how I envied blokes who had half way decent guitars and didn't have to practice on strings that had to be forced to meet the fretboard.

I'll grab him today and invite him to come and play again on it, I can fortunately afford a Heritage and maintain it, he has to make do and retain enthusiasm with a very cheap chinese piece of.........ahhh, 'the Laphroaig helps me keep a focus on the then & now"

Awesome perspective and the same reason I'm quick to loan my guitars to those who properly appreciate them. Many are of the younger generation and truly appreciate what it is and care for it accordingly.

In the spirit of rock, arts and all the rest; I'd rather my guitars have a few battle scars and know they lived a full life than to say in pristine condition and have never been enjoyed by anyone other than me.

...but I was also reminded about my early love of music and guitars, how I envied blokes who had half way decent guitars and didn't have to practice on strings that had to be forced to meet the fretboard.

Awesome perspective and the same reason I'm quick to loan my guitars to those who properly appreciate them. Many are of the younger generation and truly appreciate what it is and care for it accordingly.

In the spirit of rock, arts and all the rest; I'd rather my guitars have a few battle scars and know they lived a full life than to say in pristine condition and have never been enjoyed by anyone other than me.

Chapeau, gents! Love these responses! You guys get it. Haven't found much that a bump of Laphroaig won't make right! Pay it forward.

You didn't try to glue it back? I would have, just so it would protect the wood.

but in the end, if you play it, it's gonna get chips and dings, and other wear. doesn't matter how much you baby it. the only way to make sure nothing ever happens to it would be to lock it away.

Guest HRB853370

If there is gonna be a mark or chip on my guitars, it is gonna be my doing and not somebody elses, if they value their life.

I have never drank or heard of Laiprphriag but just the name says it must be EXPENSIVE!!

Very peaty, aroma that reminds me of iodine. If you can find some, try it, it's not to everyone's taste. Also needs the right mood/company. I like it very late or after midnight with some early Mr. Waits in the background (the piano has been drinkin' not me, not me).

I'll look at the guitar again over the weekend and consider the options

So I'm led to believe, but need to find a 'skilled luthier' in Hong Kong. I know Tom Lee has stopped carrying the Gibson range and now has a great range of Heritage so might stop in and talk to the tech. there.

Archived