Heritage Owners Club

looking for a stomp :)

JeffB

I was given a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive and I think it is a really good od pedal. I use it on about 50% of our songs as a low gain rhythm sound. Its pretty good.

I read that it was a clone of a Timmy so I bought the Timmy because I expect the Danelectro to die. It feels really cheap from the annoying back mounted knobs to the on off switch.

Back to back I didnt really think the timmy and the dano sounded the same at all. The dano sounded much better through my gear or for what I wanted to use the stomp for.

So I find myself still using the dano which I expect to implode or at least lose some of its functions sooner than later.

Other than an xotic AC or RC does any one know what might come close to the tonal nirvana (jk) that is the Dano TOD1?

Once I get this low gain stomp sorted Im done :)

Never used one, so I can't help. I'm going to be watching this thread close though, I'm going to build a small board with the must have's pretty soon.

Its weird, I have stomps that almost do what I want but not quite right. The voice and eq controls dont quite let you go where you want or at a lower gain level the feel is very stiff and unnatural.

Just stock up on Dano pedals...

They stopped making the one I like or upgraded it to TOD2. They did it because the TOD1 was too much like the Timmy and there was legal action taken, or so Ive read.

I dont think they sounded a like at all. Seemed to be two very different stomps to me. Damn these tin ears.

Hey Jeff, Just a suggestion. Start buying every OD pedal you hear about until you find the one you like. Oh wait!! You've already done that!!! :laughing7:

I remember hearing about the similarities between the DE and the Timmy (or was it the Tim) on Harmony Central. Then there's the comparison vid from Gearmanndude. I think they sound very similar, yet different.

Another suggestion is to get a pedal like the Line 6-M5, M9, or M13. They have over 100 modeled efx that include 17 different distortions to choose from, which include all the most famous distortions ever made.

How+about+no+_ea51ae278347034f93844e7f7757c9b5.jpg

how about no?

:D sorry, couldnt resist.

I dont like Line6 od's or distortions though I have used them.

Really Im just being a little more OC than usual. Im actually pretty much done.

Hey Jeff, Just a suggestion. Start buying every OD pedal you hear about until you find the one you like. Oh wait!! You've already done that!!! :laughing7:

I remember hearing about the similarities between the DE and the Timmy (or was it the Tim) on Harmony Central. Then there's the comparison vid from Gearmanndude. I think they sound very similar, yet different.

It's hard to say, but the Dano has more of a squished/compressed tone? The Timy sounds much like a natural am OD.

Gearmandude can make any od he demo's sound like the previous one and next ones he demos. He's not alone with that. Even manufacturers cant spot their own designs on youtube. I made a vid and posted it on youtube and one company stuck my vid on their website. Unfortunately it was the cheap Danelectro TOD I was using not the $249 pedal they designed and manufactured. In real life the two pedals sound very different on youtube a ds1 is as good as a klon.

Back to back the dano and the timmy felt very different to me. There was very obvious differences going from one to the other. There were points where they were similar but the dano was always smoother, more compressed probably, a different sort of gain. The timmy worked with my mesa LSC but I really didnt like the way it sat in the sound of my fender. The Dano already worked with both amps really well so it was a pretty simple decision, keep the one that works with everything.

Three of us got the timmy at the same time, only one of us still has one and he asked me if I wanted to buy it as he has no use for it.

Its a pedal that works well for some and not others. The guy I sold mine to absolutely loves it and has it on all the time when playing.

Im definitely not bashing the timmy, you could hear and feel that it was quality, no question about it. Felt weird selling it because it was so good, just not right.

Ive spoken to a tech who can cheaply install the dano tod in a more traditional case with better control placement. and none of the stacked knob stupidity. I could do it myself no problem but I dont have time. I will probably grab another off ebay as well and do the same.

It seems silly that a $39 pedal is the thing that works out of all the $169-269 options out there. I like that, not just because its cheaper but on a few other levels as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I was given a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive and I think it is a really good od pedal. I use it on about 50% of our songs as a low gain rhythm sound. Its pretty good.

I read that it was a clone of a Timmy so I bought the Timmy because I expect the Danelectro to die. It feels really cheap from the annoying back mounted knobs to the on off switch.

Back to back I didnt really think the timmy and the dano sounded the same at all. The dano sounded much better through my gear or for what I wanted to use the stomp for.

So I find myself still using the dano which I expect to implode or at least lose some of its functions sooner than later.

Other than an xotic AC or RC does any one know what might come close to the tonal nirvana (jk) that is the Dano TOD1?

Once I get this low gain stomp sorted Im done :)

I did see a Dano Daddy-0 drive for sale locally on CL for $35. Is that the same pedal?

I did see a Dano Daddy-0 drive for sale locally on CL for $35. Is that the same pedal?

No not even close.

The Daddy O is a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone(the pedal not the amp), a great sounding pedal on it's own but a very different animal. I had one for a while and the circuit itself is great, but the jacks, hardware, and switch suck. First one of the jacks went out and I fixed it, then the switch went out and I scrapped it out. The Dano pedals are usually based on very proven circuits, but they really skimp on all the externals.

Jeff have you ever tried one of the original made in England, Marshall Guv'nors?

they are quite good sounding & versatile....heavy duty too

one of my most used pedals is an ancient, original issue H&K tubeman....,lots of good distortion tones. plus it works great for DI bass, on the clean/jazz setting!

• 2 weeks later...

No not even close.

The Daddy O is a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone(the pedal not the amp), a great sounding pedal on it's own but a very different animal. I had one for a while and the circuit itself is great, but the jacks, hardware, and switch suck. First one of the jacks went out and I fixed it, then the switch went out and I scrapped it out. The Dano pedals are usually based on very proven circuits, but they really skimp on all the externals.

I actually misspoke when I said the Daddy O was a Blues Breaker Clone, it's a copy of the Marshall Guv'nor circuit not the Blues Breaker I was close just not quite right.

Archived