Heritage Owners Club

an unusual NSD installation

212Mavguy

Here's a whaddiddit for beginning tube amp enthusiasts. Should be easy for somebody more clever in amp smarts to figure out very quickly.. But since I'm severely guitarded, it took a half hour for me to fix.

This morning I decided to try out the newly acquired screaming deal Altec 417H series II in a 2/12 cab paired up with a JBL MI-12. The JBL was one of a pair from an ebay acquisiton that had been reconed by Orange County Speakers and then let sit for a few years in a closet unused. The Altec is VOS with original cone.

I mounted them up and hooked the speakers up in series, making sure to follow the color codes on the speaker terminals for a proper hookup, Altec on top of the JBL, then hooked up my HRM D-clone, set impedance to 16 ohms and fired up.

Wow, how disappointing. bright, nasty, lack of bottom, lack of sustain. OD was gritty and harsh , usually it's smooth and sweet.. I had the cab standing vertically. Next, I flipped the cab so that the other speaker was on top. Significant improvement, but still, signs of the original problem remained.

What did I do wrong? These should have sounded fat warm, glorious, and sustain for days,

Sounds to me like the speakers are out of phase.

If I remember correctly either JBL or Altec all those years ago wired their speakers ass backwards and as such the speaker leads had to be reversed when matched with speakers of a different make.

Bingo!

The clue would have been "to assume is to make an ass out of you and me."

Sounds to me like the speakers are out of phase.

If I remember correctly either JBL or Altec all those years ago wired their speakers ass backwards and as such the speaker leads had to be reversed when matched with speakers of a different make.

The recones had the poles reversed at the connects, colors reversed.. I was thinking that it was due to the Altec having a lot of top end and being a high powered speaker that needed to be driven hard., I was getting ready to pull it and thought for giggles to reverse the leads on one of the speakers. Put it back up and first note I knew I had found it.

Learning from my mistake could help someone here sometime.

ah, I was going to guess the same thing!!

first thing I do with speakers is the battery test...9v battery on the terminals, watch which way the cone moves....that will tell you how the terminals are wired. I do it out of habit, at the main input jack after I put speakers into a cab too, just to make sure I didn't futz it up :D

all the speakers should move about 1/2" in the same dir, if they are all in phase

ah, I was going to guess the same thing!!

first thing I do with speakers is the battery test...9v battery on the terminals, watch which way the cone moves....that will tell you how the terminals are wired. I do it out of habit, at the main input jack after I put speakers into a cab too, just to make sure I didn't futz it up :D

all the speakers should move about 1/2" in the same dir, if they are all in phase

+1

Learned this with multiple amps running together.

Archived