Heritage Owners Club

I Finally Caught my White Whale!

squawken

I have a BBQ bucker in a G( :-X) Flying V of mine and it's an awesome pick up, has a lot of midrange honk in that guitar though, but none the less I like the BBQ a lot more than the JB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so the saga continues.  Somehow the neck was slightly off.  And there is a crack (maybe just paint) where the neck meets the body.  I sent an e-mail to the seller on the third day (within return policy), but he was on vacation until yesterday.  He replied that he is not sure if he should give me my money back.  I replied that this guitar was not as advertised.  Wrong pickups, didn't mention the crack (HUGE omission), plus it buzzes on the first three strings.  Let's see what happens next

And so the saga continues.  Somehow the neck was slightly off.  And there is a crack (maybe just paint) where the neck meets the body.  I sent an e-mail to the seller on the third day (within return policy), but he was on vacation until yesterday.  He replied that he is not sure if he should give me my money back.  I replied that this guitar was not as advertised.  Wrong pickups, didn't mention the crack (HUGE omission), plus it buzzes on the first three strings.  Let's see what happens next

He has a return policy, you've contacted him within that time frame and he's not sure if he should refund your money?  ???  Is he just a bit behind the curve on the meaning of a return policy?

I'M REALLY SORRY TO HEAR THAT DUDE...I WAS REALLY HOPING THAT THIS 157 WAS GONNA BE YOUR DREAM CATCH

HOPEFULLY THE GUY IS GONNA BE TRUE TO HIS RETURN POLICY

Me also.. I'm really sorry this is turning out to be such a pain for you. I do hope this guy turns out to be reasonable.  If not.. we'll find someone to pay him a visit  :violent1:

If you payed with PayPal file a buyer complaint. I've been there, done that before. It's takes a little while but it's worth it. I wouldn't mess around seing as it seems he's been aloof for the most part. Sounds like it's time to bring out 'da big guns!!  :violent5:

He said he will take it back.  But he also said there was no crack when he sent it.  BS as it looks aged.  He also said it didn't buzz when he sent it.  Total denial.  The moral of the story.  DON"T BID ON ANY WHITE HERITAGES ON EBAY!

I love white or cream LP Customs, too, but I don't like the black binding on the Heritages.  Down the road, I may also be getting a three-pickup 157 with some interesting switching options, but I'd go for some unusual stuff like fancier inlays and trans-violet finish over flame.

Others that have read my other rants about a white H150 I saw in the factory a few months back may be tired of reading this, but the one I saw was  pearl white  (including the back, neck, and the back of the headstock), with CREME binding but only up to the headstock and around the body as per H150 CL specs.  Creme pickguard, not black.  At first I did a double take, wondering if I liked the combo of the pearl with the creme binding, and then it REALLY started growing on me as I took a first, second, and third look at it in the 'ready to be shipped' rack.  Now that's a white one I'd like to find.

Other white 150s I see have the black binding, which I am less fond of, or the triple binding as in the case of the H157s which I also am not a big fan of.

He said he will take it back.  But he also said there was no crack when he sent it.  BS as it looks aged.  He also said it didn't buzz when he sent it.  Total denial.  The moral of the story.  DON"T BID ON ANY WHITE HERITAGES ON EBAY!
So I'd have to say in the case of this instrument, a good point to remember would be. "If it finds it's way back on The Bay, then nay, nay, stay away!"  ;D

Squak!

do you like the guitar enough to maybe get a partial refund and have a pro setup done on it?

i dont think the paint check on the neck joint is really a big deal is it?  it sounds like to me it just needs to get in the hands of a good tech?

am i way off here?  it sounds like you like the guitar, but there are just a few little things in the way?

Maybe the neck is twisted ?

Hey Everyone

Thanks for all the support.  I had a big fear the neck was twisted.  My guitar teacher looked at it and something didn't seem right.  The tech at the store didn't like the looks of it either.  The truss rod looked like had been worked over many a time.  The buzzing was on the top three strings, and a few other spots.  The guy didn't want to compromise either.  I figured i better notify the seller I wanted to return within his policy before I had the time to have a pro look at it.  So beware guys, don't bid on this one.  Something smells really fishy.  If you noticed, the other white 157, with a veneer crack, was not available all week because the seller was on vacation too!  Wonder if it's the same guitar?  I will keep my vigilante watch for a white whale.

This kinda crap happens to everyone eventually (sadly.. it happens to me more than most..). Hopefully you have now had your bad luck quota for the next long while. We'll all keep an eye out for ya for another white, so I do hope it works out eventually and all for the better.. Like I said though.. this experience is not what you deserved and hopefully won't spoil all future transactions you might encounter. Most people out there are reasonable, and hopefully your next transaction will be a better one and land you what you want. In the mean time, I sorry this didn't work out for you  >:(

I hope you get this all resolved!!!  But I have a few curiousities here!!!

when you first played the guitar, checked it out and found out it had shallers... you loved it, outside of the pickups not being what they were advertised at( that would tweak my butt too!!) Did you change anything putting it back together? String gauge? Tuning? etc  Besides a difference in Temperature and Humidity there are several factors that can change the way an instrument will play... and you stated you loved the way it played!!!

In the future look at the pickup screws... 2 screws each side is a vey likey indication of shallers...Duncans have only 1 screwhole in each side of the pickup and the shallers I have seen have 3.

If the guitar played great when you got it , you should be able to adjust it to play as good or even better for your own playing style with some monor fine tuning.

The Neck joint is located at the 16th fret and if the fretboard maintains a straight plane profile from the 14th-19th fret area...most likely there is nothing to worry about!! the dangerous part on these guitars is at the nut!!

Living in dry vegas here, I have seen guitars do some really funky things with the change in climate and humidity, I also had a favorite guitar that  I had put on 10-52 strings and tuned 440 only to findout the neck twisted from the extra tension... the guitar is now setup tuned 1/2 step flat and after a week it stabalized back to its true perfect action and it is still a favorite!!

I guess the moral to my story is that if you really like the guitar, it sure seems to be the guitar you want!!! have a real pro look it over right, if it checks out get it setup the way you want it.... and chalk alot of this transaction as a learning tool because there are alot of surprises involved in any online instrument deals!!

OR JUST SEND IT BACK!!!

I hope you get this all resolved!!!  But I have a few curiousities here!!!

when you first played the guitar, checked it out and found out it had shallers... you loved it, outside of the pickups not being what they were advertised at( that would tweak my butt too!!) Did you change anything putting it back together? String gauge? Tuning? etc  Besides a difference in Temperature and Humidity there are several factors that can change the way an instrument will play... and you stated you loved the way it played!!!

In the future look at the pickup screws... 2 screws each side is a vey likey indication of shallers...Duncans have only 1 screwhole in each side of the pickup and the shallers I have seen have 3.

If the guitar played great when you got it , you should be able to adjust it to play as good or even better for your own playing style with some monor fine tuning.

The Neck joint is located at the 16th fret and if the fretboard maintains a straight plane profile from the 14th-19th fret area...most likely there is nothing to worry about!! the dangerous part on these guitars is at the nut!!

Living in dry vegas here, I have seen guitars do some really funky things with the change in climate and humidity, I also had a favorite guitar that  I had put on 10-52 strings and tuned 440 only to findout the neck twisted from the extra tension... the guitar is now setup tuned 1/2 step flat and after a week it stabalized back to its true perfect action and it is still a favorite!!

I guess the moral to my story is that if you really like the guitar, it sure seems to be the guitar you want!!! have a real pro look it over right, if it checks out get it setup the way you want it.... and chalk alot of this transaction as a learning tool because there are alot of surprises involved in any online instrument deals!!

OR JUST SEND IT BACK!!!

Thanks Maestro

There was a lot of useful info in your message.  I was under the gun because the return policy was only 3 days and I had to make a decision.  I had a few people look at it, and it just didn't seem right.  Couple that with the crack where the neck meets the body (not mentioned in the ad), misrepresentation of pickups and my gut was torn, but leaned towards returning.  I just didn't have a good feeling about the whole transaction.

Thanks Maestro

There was a lot of useful info in your message.  I was under the gun because the return policy was only 3 days and I had to make a decision.  I had a few people look at it, and it just didn't seem right.  Couple that with the crack where the neck meets the body (not mentioned in the ad), misrepresentation of pickups and my gut was torn, but leaned towards returning.  I just didn't have a good feeling about the whole transaction.

If it's any consolation squawken I would have made the same call, a tough one for sure especially as you were looking for one for so long.

I'm sure another one will appear on the bay or craigslist, things usually do happen in threes, which is all too true as I have found out lately myself.

Regards ...

If it's any consolation squawken I would have made the same call, a tough one for sure especially as you were looking for one for so long.

I'm sure another one will appear on the bay or craigslist, things usually do happen in threes, which is all too true as I have found out lately myself.

Regards ...

Thanks Southpaw!  I know, sooner or later I will find it.  What's that old saying "sometimes the chase is better than the catch"?  I enjoy looking and hunting for dream guitars.

Thanks Southpaw!  I know, sooner or later I will find it.  What's that old saying "sometimes the chase is better than the catch"?  I enjoy looking and hunting for dream guitars.

Tell me about it ! I've spent a lot of time online lately looking for lefties, they are extremely hard to come by, Heritage especially.

I FINALLY got my money back today.  When the seller got it back he said all the screws were loose on the pickups and that the 6th string did not work.  He said he was going to hold back $150 until it was repaired.  So I told him to send the bill so I could see what was done, as I KNOW I did not damage the guitar.  Anyway he caved and said he fixed it, and sent the money back today.  We should keep an eye out for this guy and this guitar to make sure know one else gets scammed.  If you notice, the other white 157 (with a veneer crack in the same spot) is still unavailable because the seller is on vacation.  I have a sneeking suspicion that they are one in the same.

Archived