Heritage Owners Club

BillM Blues Jr Question...

DetroitBlues

Many on here have a Fender Blues Jr with BillM's mods like I have. The OT I used was his newer TO20 low profile model. But since KBP did the mod, I didn't look at it that much....

To the point now... I want to use an extension cab with it. But is there a second output so I can use another cabinet in addition to the external or is there only one?

Unless someone has a mod to do this, there's no second output jack on the Blues Jr (at least there wasn't on mine). I think you'd have to unplug the on-board speaker and plug your compatible extension cab in instead.

Unless someone has a mod to do this, there's no second output jack on the Blues Jr (at least there wasn't on mine). I think you'd have to unplug the on-board speaker and plug your compatible extension cab in instead.

That's what I thought but I read this:

This brilliant, all-new design is a collaboration between me and David Allen of Allen Amplification, built to our specifications by Heyboer. It fits exactly into the stock mounting holes of the Blues Junior (also the Princeton Reverb), and requires no drilling. The low-and-wide core design provides all the heft and performance of the TO22 transformer above, but clears large/deep speakers such as the Eminence Wizard or Swamp Thang. The output impedance is 8 ohms. Choose this transformer for ease of installation, great performance and occasional use of a 4 ohm external load. The basic mods are essential to get the best performance from this or any other upgrade output transformer.

Does this imply I can use a second cab?

You might be confusing the second 1/4" input jack next to the speaker input jack. That is for an optional foot pedal, not an extension speaker.

I sometimes plug an ext. cab. into my BJ by unplugging the main speaker, plugging into the main, and always with the amp in the OFF position.

You might be confusing the second 1/4" input jack next to the speaker input jack. That is for an optional foot pedal, not an extension speaker.

I sometimes plug an ext. cab. into my BJ by unplugging the main speaker, plugging into the main, and always with the amp in the OFF position.

I know it's for the foot switch. Some may remember at PSP, someone plugged into Hfans BJ to an extension cab and nearly blew up his amp because they didn't reconnect it right...

Still seems like an implication of a second output of 4 ohms...

I was going to add a caveat to my earlier post. I never tried to hook up a different speaker...I think there's an output jack, but it's possible the speaker is direct wired to the transformer.

To your recent question, I don't think it implies that you could output to a second cab; I think it means that you could output to an 8 or occasionally 4 ohm load instead of the speaker in the BJ combo cabinet.

I'd think a 2X12 wired for 8 ohms would work well.

I was going to add a caveat to my earlier post. I never tried to hook up a different speaker...I think there's an output jack, but it's possible the speaker is direct wired to the transformer.

To your recent question, I don't think it implies that you could output to a second cab; I think it means that you could output to an 8 or occasionally 4 ohm load instead of the speaker in the BJ combo cabinet.

I'd think a 2X12 wired for 8 ohms would work well.

Ah, ok. Makes more sense. Anyone have a 2x12 or 4x12 I can borrow? :))

Ah, ok. Makes more sense. Anyone have a 2x12 or 4x12 I can borrow? :))

I have an Avatar vintage 2x12 cab you can borrow. Czech it out:

Avatar Link Spank the guitar cabs link on the top left and then the 2x12 photo...

DB~ The best my BJ ever sounded was when connected to a Carvin 1x12 ext. cab loaded with a (pre-Chinese) 8ohm Celestion V30.

Their ext. cabs are tuned as good as any other high end cab and cost less.

The BJ is wired for an 8ohm load. Be sure that whatever you connect it to matches it.

I belive (and a quick google search appears to confirm) that OT had a single 8 ohm output; so I would stick to a cab with an 8 ohm load - I bet that amp is going to sound great through a 2x12 though (most amps do). If you head over to Steiners, don't let him talk you into hooking it up to a 4x12... you'll want one of those too, and it will be much harder to inconspicuously get a 4x12 past the Mrs. Blues!

Archived