Heritage Owners Club

spruce vs. maple topped 575?

eljay

my latest gas-driven attention focuses on h-575s these days. a guitar that is said to do it all, rock to jazz. i've become aware that spruce topped 575s "might" be preferable for the jazz side.

that said, will a spruce topped 575 rock out OK?

thank you for comments! eljay

I don't know what your definition of "rock out" with a hollow body archtop is, but for a jazz to slight rock tone I would stick with a Maple over spruce top.

I have owned both, a spruce top 575 and a maple top 575. When I tried to use my spruce top 575 with my band . . . feedback . . . that spruce top really would vibrate when we would play at moderate volumes. I found it could get jazz tones and rock/blues type tones with my maple top 575, with hardly any feedback issues.

thank you all for your responses. my idea of rocking out, btw, won't even move the needle for most people . . .

With the guitar collection you have why would you want to Rock Out with a 575?

the idea is not to forgo flexibility, unnecessarily. my chops are weak (in every genre) so it isn't like i need the ultimate jazz tone.

I have rocked out with a super eagle quite a few times I see no reason why a 575 with spruce would not do some rockin. I think set In pickups are better than a floater for rockin though. My experience with volume and floaters is feedback, even with low amp volume but two loud trombones behind me would get it going. Scotty More used a super 400 and a es295 for some rock and roll, it's a great place for a 575 spruce or maple.

Well, Steve Howe rocked out pretty heavy with an ES-175 while with YES. I wonder if his was maple top or spruce?

A Gibson ES 175 is a very different animal. It has a thicker laminated top that is not as likely to vibrate.

My Super Eagle sized Heritage has a maple top... and is surprisingly feedback resistant.

But I would think that a spruce topped hollowbody would do fine for most home/ studio playing, just harder to control in different environments at higher volume levels.

my latest gas-driven attention focuses on h-575s these days. a guitar that is said to do it all, rock to jazz. i've become aware that spruce topped 575s "might" be preferable for the jazz side.

that said, will a spruce topped 575 rock out OK?

thank you for comments! eljay

I'm a newbie to the H-575 (and this forum) as I only bought it a few weeks ago. But, I have a few other archtops to compare it to and my maple topped model (I wasn't even aware that you could get them with spruce) will resonate the D and A and then the whole guitar at even sedate volumes, where my ES-175 (maple top) or Aria Herb Ellis (maple top) will not. I think your ES or CS will be a lot more flexible.

Never thought of the Golden Eagle being the Heritage equivalent to the Birdland...

Yep he sure did "spank" those guitars!

I never could see how people called the Eagle a jazz guitar.

Archived