Heritage Owners Club

Why Solid Rims for Laminate Heritages?

unikh550

It has nothing to do with tone. In order to bend wood, it needs to be bent as a solid piece before or during the lamination process (the latter just like 535 and 550 tops) once the glue sets it's solid as a rock. Apply head and moisture to get it to bend and it delaminates. Trust me. Woodworker since 1978.

"apply head and moisture" Really? What type of wood are you trying to bend?

Soild RIMS for Guitars is the topic. Not Rim jobs dude!

"apply head and moisture" Really? What type of wood are you trying to bend?

Soild RIMS for Guitars is the topic. Not Rim jobs dude!

Doh! Typo. HEAT and moisture. Damn autocorrect (or clumsy fingers :blush: )

It has nothing to do with tone. In order to bend wood, it needs to be bent as a solid piece before or during the lamination process (the latter just like 535 and 550 tops) once the glue sets it's solid as a rock. Apply head and moisture to get it to bend and it delaminates. Trust me. Woodworker since 1978.

good to know....I suspected this might be the case ( mentioned in my post above ) but wasn't sure, thx for the info!!

On the Martin Guitar Forum (UMGF) awhile back, they gave, at most, 4-5% contribution of the sides to the overall acoustic sound of a guitar.
This is a very important point. I would guess the percentage is even lower on any guitar with a magnetic pickup… perhaps 2%. In a guitar with shallow sides like a 535, the difference is negligable. Heritage is probably using solid wood sides because the factory is set up to do the job that way.

Archived