Heritage Owners Club

Pignose

fretless

so I scored a vintage 70's for 80 bucks on the bay . It was a dirty pig but cleaned up nicely . It sounds simply fantastic , I mean crazy good . Very warm , colored , thick and chimey . It has it all going on . Crazy huh . So I learned a ton about these pigs and my research paid off . Here is a nice example of a 70's pig , though somewhat hard to date this should be around a 75/76 . Blue and red sticker , Germanium transistors , original speaker . This one even has the original power supply . So when it arrived it sounded bad , the pot was so scratchy it was unuseable . Getting to the pot took a lot of work . These things were built or rather way over built for such a tiny little thing.

pigsNcats.jpg
a true mini amp about 3/4 cat scale

70sPig_12.jpg

70sPig_16.jpg70sPig_11.jpg70sPig_3.jpg70sPig_13.jpgpignose_ad_1979.jpg

I just got the new one in so I'll snap some pics this weekend , but back to the old one for a sec . words can not describe just how awesome the line out sounds into another amp . Some friends just spent some time running into a Fender dri and omg is it crazy good . Raspy , ballsy , aggressive but tight w/ tons of character . Really cool tones to dial up . I see now what they all were doing back then .

I've begun to look for one of these.... Hard to find USA models with the red, white, and Blue stickers..

keep an eye out it's been like that for a little while but bam one pops up . Right now it looks like a few crazys are trying to make a buck but that'll simmer down sooner or later . 150 tops for a clean vintage one hass been about the norm as far as I can tell . Mine never went too high because the seller was not really informative and I strongly believe they thought it had a problem and it did , it was unuseable until I cleaned the pot .Lucky thats all it was .

keep an eye out it's been like that for a little while but bam one pops up . Right now it looks like a few crazys are trying to make a buck but that'll simmer down sooner or later . 150 tops for a clean vintage one hass been about the norm as far as I can tell . Mine never went too high because the seller was not really informative and I strongly believe they thought it had a problem and it did , it was unuseable until I cleaned the pot .Lucky thats all it was .

I saw a few listed as "Vintage" but they are BW labeled....

I saw a few listed as "Vintage" but they are BW labeled....

me too , they are not 70's , it's a little foggy but what I can gather is the white label is off shore , even though that label says "U.S.A." on it , pretty sure the 1st ,2 #'s are the year on those white labels what is vintage ? IS 80's vintage , if so they would be correct in some cases . I also found on the net that a guy had a old circuit in a white label unit , the theory was the built units ( PCB's) were sent overseas to be finished . There are a lot of unknowns about this thing , best to hunt for that red & blue label if you want that old pig . I'm dying to look in side this new one though , nobody seems to know if it's gone to IC's , transformer-less etc etc . I'll know in a few more days though .

I just got one of the new ones. I don't have an old one to compare it to, but I think this a really cool little amp. Plenty loud for such a small box, nice and fuzzy with the guitar volume up, and with the amp volume up and the guitar volume down it produces pretty good clean tones. It'll be great for traveling.

If there were a way to connect a mic to it I'd be a pair of roller skates away from being blues on wheels. And if I had roller skates I'd be just as close to being blues on wheels in the emergency room.

so it has arrived and I took a little piggy apart , it has many changes , but it's not bad IMO . Though the vintage one is a little smoother , especially when cranked . Both really drive an amp though so if you have one of these little guys you muct try that line out in the back into the front of your amp , it is killer !

newpig2.jpgnewpig1.jpg

newpig3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fretless

I had a 30/60 in the early 80's (still might have it somewhere) It was a great little amp, got a little noise if you had the preamp past 3/4. I have been thinking about getting a 7-100. Would you say the vintage one is better.

By the way my cat looks just like yours. She has the same "I'm going too kill you" look.

Hey Fretless

I had a 30/60 in the early 80's (still might have it somewhere) It was a great little amp, got a little noise if you had the preamp past 3/4. I have been thinking about getting a 7-100. Would you say the vintage one is better.

By the way my cat looks just like yours. She has the same "I'm going too kill you" look.

ah ha , crazy cats ! Well I would say that by a wee hair , especially when cranked it's smoother but the new one is cool to as cheap as these new ones can be had for maybe score that and wait for the deal on a vintage one . Get both ! :icon_pirat: you should try to dig up that old pig you have and fire it up , cool old amps !

Archived