Heritage Owners Club

Are Heritage Semi's "Mickey Mouse" Accurate?

Gitfiddler

OK, before you get your kids to respond to my somewhat silly sounding query, let me 'splain myself.

There have been years of controversy about the so-called proper shape of Gbrand ES335/345/355 cutaway shapes. Most of it I've read over at the LP Forum, but if one is looking for 'vintage spec' accuracy, I guess its a reasonable thing to discuss.

Here are my questions:

How close are Heritage H535/530/555's to the more rounded Mickey Mouse ears vs. the Fox Ears of some eras; and are they using the original jigs to shape them? Dare I ask if they are 'vintage correct' spec?

I'll take a wild guess that when Heritage were warned off producing the Gibson spec lower cutaway on the H-150CM, they took a pragmatic decision on how close they could get to other models' specification and made the necessary adjustments.

Close enough :)

Many of the Japanese Semi's are now, as you say, "fox" ears, but were formerly, "mickey mouse". Ibanez and Washburn for example. John Bell of Widespread Panic exclusively plays a Washburn HB-35, which is the guitar I had for years, and leveraged to buy my Heritage. I had a highly coveted MIJ Washburn from 1984. in the later 80's production moved to Korea, and the ear shape changed. I'm familiar with this discussion in that context.

While I don't know how precisely Heritage has mimic'd the 335 dimensionally I can, I can tell you they are MM ears as opposed to the other, with certainty.

for discussion

HB-35 with MM's (L) and Fox ®

P1050015.jpgUSM-HB35TSK1-thumb.jpg

One thing different is the ears on a Heritage are flatter than a humped up Gibson, the reason for this is the little hump on the Gibby ears would always split down the hump.

Something I noticed when I got my 535 was that the access to the very highest frets wasn't quite as easy as on my 335. The reason for this is that although the neck joins the body at the 19th fret on both guitars, the cutaway on the 535 is a bit shallower - it reaches to the 21st fret. On the 335 the cutaway reaches the 22nd fret.

397481_439963469410781_417923209_n.jpg

295083_439963446077450_1135740248_n.jpg

I'll take a wild guess that when Heritage were warned off producing the Gibson spec lower cutaway on the H-150CM, they took a pragmatic decision on how close they could get to other models' specification and made the necessary adjustments.

Close enough :)

Yes, and also I like it that Heritage has come out with different (even if only slightly in some cases) shapes and models over the years so that they are not cloning what has come before.

Yes, and also I like it that Heritage has come out with different (even if only slightly in some cases) shapes and models over the years so that they are not cloning what has come before.

That is a good point. Heritage guitar designs have their own personality and uniqueness.

They are not bound by tradition, but they built on, and improved the original designs.

Not trying to re-create or build 'reissue' instruments is very liberating!!

what's that finish? that is just the right amount of bling. Wow.

Did you spec that out lb61906?

Yep, I custom ordered it. I love the H-555 but it was too flashy, so I choose the H-535 in wine red, with traps, bound headstock, and Seths. She came out great!

Archived