Heritage Owners Club

Thoughts on a few amps?

big bob

I'm trying to decide what the next build will be.

I have a 120 watt 6 x el34 sound city, I love the tone, lots of headroom, big and open, and it makes all my old pedals sound great.

Oh and it's way too loud for practice..... But I do use it when I play out, especially outside gigs.

I also have a franken champ, that will run almost any tube. My favorite is a JJ 6l6 for about 8 to 10 watts. It too works splendidly with my pedals, however it's just not loud enough for practice. Perfect for home.

I also have a 40 watt Marshall Dsl 40, it sounds great on the overdrive channel. Solo playing with the Marshall gets lost in the mix, and it does not take pedals at all, just sounds like mush.

I run all of these heads through a 2x12 cab loaded with 100 watt weber fane copy's, one is regular cone one has a hemp cone.

Pedals are

soldano supercharger gto, big box EHH deluxe memory man, Demeter real spring reverb, Demeter fat over driveulator

I would like to build an amp that will take my pedals well and cut through the mix at about 30-40 watts.

I thought about a hi-watt clone but the build was a little more complicated than I want.

So...... I have narrowed the field down to two options that fit my, tastes, budget, and build experience..

Any input on either or both choices would be appreciated.

Option one 5e3p proluxe

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5e3p_layout.jpg

Option two 5e3x2

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/5e3x2_layout.jpg

Thanks

The first one looks like Weber's take on the Hotrod Deluxe, a 5E3 with bigger PT/OT and running 6L6s. Does it have the headroom to give you a clean enough sound for pedals when it's at stage volume?

The second looks like a straightforward build. Same question as before for taking pedals. Is it easy to buy a matched quad of 6V6s?

I know I'm pushing you a little with this but have you considered the 6A20 or 6A40 from Weber? Lots of headroom and not much more difficult to build.

No wrong answer with your two selections! I'd also consider a Deluxe Reverb, even though it doesn't have the higher wattage you described. They are a very versatile, pedal friendly amp that is on more recordings than you can shake a stick at.

The first one looks like Weber's take on the Hotrod Deluxe, a 5E3 with bigger PT/OT and running 6L6s. Does it have the headroom to give you a clean enough sound for pedals when it's at stage volume?

The second looks like a straightforward build. Same question as before for taking pedals. Is it easy to buy a matched quad of 6V6s?

I know I'm pushing you a little with this but have you considered the 6A20 or 6A40 from Weber? Lots of headroom and not much more difficult to build.

The hard fact is I won't know until its built. I know I like the color that the tweed circiut gives,

I have a Weber kit 5e3 I bought from Kenny (tulk). He had his ocd amp tech build it. What a great little box! And it has a vintage '53 Magnavox P232 in it as well. Now that I'm playing '40's-'50's jump blues and swing, I use it with other amps to give my tone a tweed flavor. Fave current rig is my P-90 Super Eagle into the 5e3 and '67 Bassman head with a 1x12 cab. Delicious!

I have a Weber kit 5e3 I bought from Kenny (tulk). He had his ocd amp tech build it. What a great little box! And it has a vintage '53 Magnavox P232 in it as well. Now that I'm playing '40's-'50's jump blues and swing, I use it with other amps to give my tone a tweed flavor. Fave current rig is my P-90 Super Eagle into the 5e3 and '67 Bassman head with a 1x12 cab. Delicious!

Now I want to use a stereo set up!

I would do a jtm45 circuit, that would take KT66, EL34, 6L6 or 5880 tubes kind of like your champ so you could mix & match

you could approximate a bassman & also get early marshall sounds, if you added a toggle for the feedback loop values etc

would also work great with pedals

I've built a 2x6L6 5E3 before (for a fellow member here); incredible sounding amp. Sounded just like a bigger louder Tweed Deluxe.

I'm sure you would not be disappointed with either

What was the wattage on that? And would you still have the layout and build sheet, you know, if a brother was inclined to try it?

What was the wattage on that? And would you still have the layout and build sheet, you know, if a brother was inclined to try it?

Was about 35'ish watts, give or take. I'll do some poking around and see if I can find my layout and work notes for it; though taking a peek at the weber 5E3P layout, it was very similar to this.

Archived