Heritage Owners Club

Help n buying a new amp

All the superchamps i've seen fs are over 300! Where are those 200 ones, i want one!

Think "used". GC has about 5 of them at various locations for $250. Don't know if you'd have to pay tax or shipping, tho'. That could raise the cost. GC is also offering 15% off on some items over $295. That might get a new one close to your $$s.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided for a fender super champ, you think i should change my mind and buy a blues jr?

Super Champ is probably a great choice. I'd let my own ears do the deciding though. Most any Fender dealer should have both amps available to plug in to.

Where'd you get that survey? And wherever you got it, that question is just silly. Your answer isn't silly. I just find the question and disclaimer to be silly, if not a bit insulting. Do you have a link to that amp you do like? The campilongo? Never heard of them

Campilongo is famous for playing princetons.

Yes, and i really like to know that there are many forumites that like fender tones. I remember when i bought my first heritage and found this forum, asked about some stuff to adjust my new h150 and some guys treated me like the "fender guy" because i told i was accostumed to fender guitars and was difficult to lower the action in the les paul. I had the impression that none of you were fender players, that fender was scorned here but now i know its not true, it was only my first impression.

You're right :) If I could choose only one guitar to keep of all my current 'flock' (what *is* the collective noun for guitars?), it would be a Tele.

But I'm not a Fender guy ;)

The Fender Super Champ is great practice amp with a lot of effects/models options. It's a perfect practice amp for rock and blues with a solid body guitar .

It didn't sound great with my arch top, though, so I traded mine for a Roland Cube 60. It has a fuller, cleaner sound and plenty of power for gigs, but still good for quiet practice.

Both are well under $300 used.

Do you still have the Vibro Champ? If so, I'd see about having a good amp tech solve the noise problem, as that should cover much of what you're asking. (This is a vintage one?)

Other than that, I associate Jim Campilongo's sound with blackface fenders and lots of reverb and think he particularly likes Princeton Reverbs. An original blackface or silverface would also be great, as would a replica like an Allen, Marsh or other builder, or even a resissue. However, those aren't going to found near your budget. Any chance you could get the Vibro Champ working correctly and save for something along these lines?

Finally, I'll throw in a mention of the Vox Pathfinder 15R. There's some question on whether they're still being made, but I use on at home quite a bit and am impressed with it. When I got mine it was around $120 new.

+1 Jim campilongo uses only Princeton Reverb RI amps. He said he played with Pete Townsend once, mic'd the Princeton Reverb and it was a perfect mix.

To the OP look for a used Princeton Reverb RI if you like that tone (for me it is one of my favorite tones, and I use my Headstrong Lil' Kimg more than any amp I have due to it's size, low wattage, and TONE!!!)

Yes, and i really like to know that there are many forumites that like fender tones. I remember when i bought my first heritage and found this forum, asked about some stuff to adjust my new h150 and some guys treated me like the "fender guy" because i told i was accostumed to fender guitars and was difficult to lower the action in the les paul. I had the impression that none of you were fender players, that fender was scorned here but now i know its not true, it was only my first impression.

From what Ive read here it seems just about everyone here has a pretty wide ranging taste in guitars. Maybe pointy guitars with barb wire or skull graphics and guitars with floyds are not embraced so much.

Regarding the amp question:

My opinion on all gear now is to get exactly what you want and save yourself some money. My room is littered with budget conscious purchases that I hoped would fill the role of the exact thing I wanted. Unfortunately they were just stepping stones to the things I should have bought first.

The guy in the vid uses a princeton and that is a cool amp. Find one s/h one and enjoy it.

From what Ive read here it seems just about everyone here has a pretty wide ranging taste in guitars. Maybe pointy guitars with barb wire or skull graphics and guitars with floyds are not embraced so much.

My opinion on all gear now is to get exactly what you want and save yourself some money. My room is littered with budget conscious purchases that I hoped would fill the role of the exact thing I wanted. Unfortunately they were just stepping stones to the things I should have bought first.

The guy in the vid uses a princeton and that is a cool amp. Find one s/h one and enjoy it.

Jeff, this should be the post of the year!!!! I could not agree more.

Save up until you get what you really want, otherwise you will always be second guessing and ultimately lose money!!!

+2

Make that sentiment a sticky note on the Amplification and Effects page.

I've watched way too many of our members settle for bargain after bargain in the vain hope they'd find the holy grail on the cheap. If you added up everything the lost on resale, or selling fees, shipping, paypal, and upgrades... they could have just waited, saved their money and bought something they would get a lot of value from.

A Princeton would a great amp for blues, jazz, rock. It takes pedals well. But it's not going to be within the $200-300 budget the OP mentioned.

Good advice, to an extent, guys, but if you find a Princeton Reverb in that price range, PLEASE let ME know! I'd take 2. I'm not sure where the OP is in regards to having ANY amps, and telling him his only real option is to wait who knows how long to be able to afford the "real" thing isn't really answering his question of what he can get for $250-$300. None of us know his financial situation, nor his commitment to socking a ton of money into gear. Of course there are much better amps than the ones mentioned in the budget range, but for 3-5 times the money? Apples and Oranges.

+3

+2

Make that sentiment a sticky note on the Amplification and Effects page.

I've watched way too many of our members settle for bargain after bargain in the vain hope they'd find the holy grail on the cheap. If you added up everything the lost on resale, or selling fees, shipping, paypal, and upgrades... they could have just waited, saved their money and bought something they would get a lot of value from.

A Princeton would a great amp for blues, jazz, rock. It takes pedals well. But it's not going to be within the $200-300 budget the OP mentioned.

Far from expert here, but I think the best Tube Amp value out there under $200 today is the Bugera Vintage 5 . It's attenuator can be set as low as 0.1W, but it can drive up to a 12" cab + has headphone jack. Simple Class A (pretty transparent sound), 1 pre-amp, 1 power Tube design = cheap to feed.

I'm also in love with my new Peavey Delta Blues 115. This is bigger than your wallet new, but they've been making them for more than 20 years and the market is awash with used ones which should mesh with your budget w/ change to spare. They're bullet-proof and easily modded to your taste.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Jim

I purchased a ZT "The Club" amp and have been very pleased with it. They make a smaller version called "The Lunchbox" You may want to check that one out. It actually has 200W and will power an external speaker.

I can plug my phone into it and use back tracks to play along with. With the headphone jack, and the on/off switch for the speaker, it is very quiet if you want to noodle around in the evening without disturbing anyone.

I found that the speaker needed a little time to break in, but now feel that it has a very acceptable tone. It also has in and out for pedals, etc.

For the money, it really is quite a remarkable little unit.

I actually sold my Minibrute II to get it because I like it so much.

I purchased a ZT "The Club" amp and have been very pleased with it. They make a smaller version called "The Lunchbox" You may want to check that one out. It actually has 200W and will power an external speaker.

I can plug my phone into it and use back tracks to play along with. With the headphone jack, and the on/off switch for the speaker, it is very quiet if you want to noodle around in the evening without disturbing anyone.

I found that the speaker needed a little time to break in, but now feel that it has a very acceptable tone. It also has in and out for pedals, etc.

For the money, it really is quite a remarkable little unit.

I actually sold my Minibrute II to get it because I like it so much.

I have only seen a couple in stores but never tried one out. I really oughta just to at least see what the hub-bub is all about.

Finally i got the princeton reverb amp from 63, i must say that it's not in good condition even for a 50 years old amp. I mean, ill have to repair it and maybe you can help me out with diagnostics and to find out how much itll cost.

Here are the Symptoms:

-when i turn it on it has a noise and some clicking sounds.

-when i turn volume up, after 3 it distorts and seems like it had many bass or speaker was damaged.

-its very hot after 15 mins.

-Reverb doesnt work, i turn it up and volume turns up too very fast i think, it sounds high and brilliant but doesnt work well. Reverb works as a volume knob without sharpness and definition, without reverb.

Seller told me that he never changed anything, do you think it's time to change some pieces? Which ones at first? What kind of valves would you buy for it?

please let me know, all advices will be helpful.

Thanks!

Do you have experience working inside an amp chassis? I'm guessing from your questions that you don't. There are huge voltages in there which are potentially lethal.

I'd recommend that you take it to an amp tech and ask for an estimate/quotation for the work required.

Archived