Heritage Owners Club

Help n buying a new amp

Hi everyone,

I need a new amp for home practising and playing on small places, somethin vesatile thats not bigger than 12 cab. I like vintage sound, campilongo for example. Any suggestions, dont mind brand if its good, i like trying new musician discoverings and cant pay more to get same or inferior quality only for recognized brands becausei have limited budget from 200-350 aprox.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tube or solid state? IMO a good solid state amp is the Roland cube series although many here would argue that the Fender Mustang series is the best. My experience with tube amps is the good ones (even used) are above your budget line.

Not a particular fanboy of the Mustangs. But the "Country Deluxe" setting (probably for Deluxe Reverb) on the Mustang is just killer. And not just for country. I could use that amp out if need be. And it can get quiet enough at home for a bedroom amp. Other than that, the other presets are a bit of a "meh" to me. Sat in with some guys where the other guitar player was using a Roland Cube - it sound pretty dandy, too. One thing that bugs me about both of these amps is, like most SS amps, they tend to disappear in the mix with a live, and somewhat rowdy, band. But at home, either one would be more than sufficient.

Welcome to the HOC! As Generic predicted, I was just about to mention the Fender Mustang III. Great modeling amp. I also really like my Fender Super Champ XD, and, as the first model is discontinued, they can be had for very cheap used. My GC has one online for like $167. This is a tube power section with digital modeling. Very usable for gigging, as it can be mic-ed, or it has a line out. You mentioned Campilongo; IMHO, the Super Champ can get reasonably close to Princeton territory for a lot less money. Used tube amps at the top of your range would include Fender Blues Juniors or Peavey Classic 30s. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

I can say I didn't care for the Mustang series myself. I ended up getting to deep in trying to make it sound as good as my tube amp. Just didn't get there. I would suggest a Super Champ XD or XD2. Also I did rather like the Fender Pawn Shop Series Excelsior. All of those can be found for less than $300. Used market, less than $200... Great tones, low volume...

SORRY, i can't edit my first post because there no option available, so i add this important info:

I need a new amp for home practising and playing on small places, somethin vesatile thats not bigger than 12 cab. I like vintage sound, campilongo for example.

How much would you like to spend?
200-350

What's the absolutely most you will spend?

How many years have you played guitar?
Do you seek tone quality or versatility?
tone quality

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)?
telecaster, two single coil, strat sss and les paul two humbucker

What style(s) of music do you primarily play?
jazz-blues

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate?
none

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects?
Straight and sometimes effects
* If you plug straight in, you will likely require 2 or more channels NO
* If you use effects, you may prefer an effects loop NO

What will be the primary use of the amp?
bedroom/living room
jam with friends (guitars only)
jam with friends (guitars, bass, drums, etc.)

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)?
combo, space and one 12 cabinet only

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change?
Marshal head and cabinet jcm900, very loud, big and rocker to me.
Fender vibrochamp, very noisy
VHT classic, no equalizer

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)
fender blues jr
vox ac15
peavey 30
fender super champ
roland cube

What did you like about them?
different things, but i like vintage tube sound first
What did you not like about them?
differente things but i don't like trans sound, noise and heavy weighted
Thanks in advance!

SORRY, i can't edit my first post because there no option available, so i add this important info:

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)

fender blues jr

vox ac15

peavey 30

fender super champ

roland cube

Thanks in advance!

Where'd you get that survey? And wherever you got it, that question is just silly. Your answer isn't silly. I just find the question and disclaimer to be silly, if not a bit insulting. Do you have a link to that amp you do like? The campilongo? Never heard of them

I have a roland blues cube 60 from the 90's (stock) and a fender blues Jr. from the early 2000's (stock). I like both of these amps for what you are interested in. I see the Rolands go for $200 or up to $300, great solid state amp for the money. The blues jr's are more expensive but a very nice amp. I see them on CL sometimes for $350. The roland was my first amp and I have never had any trouble with it. Good luck and have fun trying things out.

I would think that a Fender Champ or Blues Jr. would work out well and are in your price range. If you're into blues & jazz, the BJ would provide a lot more headroom.

take your guitar to the store and try them out!

only way you will find the best choice.

Good Advice..Trust your ears..

Where'd you get that survey? And wherever you got it, that question is just silly. Your answer isn't silly. I just find the question and disclaimer to be silly, if not a bit insulting. Do you have a link to that amp you do like? The campilongo? Never heard of them

i copied from mylespaul... taking a suggestion to detail my requirements.

And yes, that's not an amp that's just Jim!

Do you still have the Vibro Champ? If so, I'd see about having a good amp tech solve the noise problem, as that should cover much of what you're asking. (This is a vintage one?)

Other than that, I associate Jim Campilongo's sound with blackface fenders and lots of reverb and think he particularly likes Princeton Reverbs. An original blackface or silverface would also be great, as would a replica like an Allen, Marsh or other builder, or even a resissue. However, those aren't going to found near your budget. Any chance you could get the Vibro Champ working correctly and save for something along these lines?

Finally, I'll throw in a mention of the Vox Pathfinder 15R. There's some question on whether they're still being made, but I use on at home quite a bit and am impressed with it. When I got mine it was around $120 new.

Would suggest http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/VINTAGE16

On sale - very good price for a very good amp.

$399 is a very good price for that little amp. I tested one out a the San Diego Carvin and was very impressed. Plus for another $50 you can upgrade to a Celestion V30, for a total $450, still a great deal.

Also, check out used Peavey Delta Blues 115's. Said it before, and will say it again...that is one great little 'bang for buck' amp. All tube with great reverb and tremolo.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/peavey/delta_blues_115-tweed/index.html

Good luck with your search. Trust your ears and you'll find what you are looking for. We can just toss out some recommendations, but it's your hard earned cash on the line.

"The campilongo? Never heard of them...."

Kenny, it's Jim Campilongo.... This guy:

Jim Campilongo taught my brother Peter guitar for about a year before he moved to NY from San Fran. My brother

was already signed to a label, and quite an accomplished musican before he met Jim, but my other brother Tim,

thinking it would really help Peter, gave him lessons from Jim as a present.

It really helped my brother's guitar playing working with him. And actually, Jim didn't really teach him any of his

crazy Tele stuff but more about musical structure and seeing the big musical picture.

As for Mr Campilongo, that guy is character to say the least. I've seen him quite a few times at the Paradise Lounge

in San Fran. He used to have a house gig there so I would go to see him every time I went to visit my brothers. He

never ceased to amaze me with the technique he displayed and the humour behind his solos.

As for Mr Campilongo, that guy is character to say the least. I've seen him quite a few times at the Paradise Lounge

in San Fran. He used to have a house gig there so I would go to see him every time I went to visit my brothers. He

never ceased to amaze me with the technique he displayed and the humour behind his solos.

Yeah, I've been checking this cat out too. I am humbled.

Yeah, as someone else here once said "don't fear to veer".

If I recall, you like to play jazz & blues. If that means a full hollow body and jazz standards with a little blues thrown in, you might want to check out a solid state amp. I keep hearing that Evans make some of the best for that...but likely out of your price range.

For blues, I'd want a tube amp with a fair bit of headroom. To me, that's a Fender of one sort or another. In a 1X12 it could be a Deluxe Reverb, a Princeton, or something in their Hot Rod line...like the Blues Jr, which can be purchased used for around $300.

Were I you, I'd peddle down to a good music store and start plugging in.

Well, I have both. I put a lot of money into having my Blues Junior get all of the BillM mods, including a new output transformer and speaker. I really like it now....except for the reverb, which I always thought was pretty weak on a Blues Junior, probably because of the short reverb tank compared to what you have in a Deluxe Reverb, for example. FOR THE MONEY, I'd go with a used Super Champ, but, as has been stated here, only YOU can decide with your own ears what works for you.

Of course I can't find it now, but there is a video on YouTube comparing the Princeton to the Super Champ XD. Obviously, I'd TAKE the Princeton, but for about 1/5 of the cost, you can get pretty close, and have a lot of other tones at your disposal. Who cares what resale is on a sub $200 used amp?! Here's a review of the original Super Champ XD.

Archived